Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Medishield/CPF/Health insurance] Claims + Coverage after illness

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gravity_infinity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
High Supremacy Member

Question [Medishield/CPF/Health insurance] Claims + Coverage after illness

I went visit my relative just now for dinner. So this was what I was told. My cousin's father (55) got liver disease and had to be admitted into hospital earlier this year. thankfully they got medishield and bought private insurance to cover the remainder (Rider plan)

what happen was, my uncle's liver cannot function well, so his on a special diet + drugs to try and let the liver cope. His other option is a liver transplant. Now this was what got me confused. My aunty and cousin told me, now my uncle is 'stable', in the event his liver flares up again, let's say 3-4 years down the road, they will need to sell their house and use the cash to pay for his medical because their current insurance won't cover for the liver again.

according to them, their insurance will still cover any new illness, but because his liver was already claimed once, if years down the road anything happen again to the liver, my uncle won't be able to clam again. Now they are trying to find another insurance company to see if they can buy health insurance that will cover my uncle's liver.

Family is not rich, uncle drives taxi, aunty works retail. my cousin regular, sign on after diploma. their worry is years down the road, if anything happens to my uncle with his liver, they might be financially in a tight spot.

anyone got experience this kinda thing ? I thought medishield will cover again + rider so if next time got issue can just claim again. i think they might be misinformed leh.
Old 28-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

I went visit my relative just now for dinner. So this was what I was told. My cousin's father (55) got liver disease and had to be admitted into hospital earlier this year. thankfully they got medishield and bought private insurance to cover the remainder (Rider plan)

what happen was, my uncle's liver cannot function well, so his on a special diet + drugs to try and let the liver cope. His other option is a liver transplant. Now this was what got me confused. My aunty and cousin told me, now my uncle is 'stable', in the event his liver flares up again, let's say 3-4 years down the road, they will need to sell their house and use the cash to pay for his medical because their current insurance won't cover for the liver again.

according to them, their insurance will still cover any new illness, but because his liver was already claimed once, if years down the road anything happen again to the liver, my uncle won't be able to clam again. Now they are trying to find another insurance company to see if they can buy health insurance that will cover my uncle's liver.

Family is not rich, uncle drives taxi, aunty works retail. my cousin regular, sign on after diploma. their worry is years down the road, if anything happens to my uncle with his liver, they might be financially in a tight spot.

anyone got experience this kinda thing ? I thought medishield will cover again + rider so if next time got issue can just claim again. i think they might be misinformed leh.
can claim again if not pre existing. if he never change insurer after he claim.
gravity_infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

can claim again if not pre existing. if he never change insurer after he claim.
what does pre existing mean

like right now, his liver is not 'recovered' leh. it's just taking medication and lifestyle changes to make sure his liver is less stressed out.

if anything happen to the liver again, would it be considered pre existing

Old 28-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

what does pre existing mean

like right now, his liver is not 'recovered' leh. it's just taking medication and lifestyle changes to make sure his liver is less stressed out.

if anything happen to the liver again, would it be considered pre existing

if the medishield or private insurance is taken before he got liver problems.. then it will be covered. subject to policy year limits and deductibles and coinsurance and sub limits of medishield

if private plan.. usually no sub limits.

but provided he never lapsed the polivy before. (after his liver gor problem)

as long as premiums paid. can claim
okiedokie likes this.
Old 28-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

but did he do liver transplant?

if he did tranplant. then habe to check his policies.some policy cover organ tranplant up to a limit.
Old 28-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

if the medishield or private insurance is taken before he got liver problems.. then it will be covered. subject to policy year limits and deductibles and coinsurance and sub limits of medishield

if private plan.. usually no sub limits.

but provided he never lapsed the polivy before. (after his liver gor problem)

as long as premiums paid. can claim

jin cham.

means if now go find new insurance to cover, most likely they won't also right

Old 28-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

but did he do liver transplant?

if he did tranplant. then habe to check his policies.some policy cover organ tranplant up to a limit.
no, never do transplant.

just change lifestyle and take drugs.
Old 28-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

jin cham.

please dont change. else he will lose cover.
Old 28-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
High Supremacy Member

please dont change. else he will lose cover.
so if stay current plan and just pay yearly premiums, should be cover riao right ? my cousin keep asking him to stop working but he say need work or else no $$.

Old 28-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
Master Member

jin cham.

If change, existing illness will Not be covered.
Cookie Muncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

If change, existing illness will Not be covered.
What if it really requires change?
LindaChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #12

TS,

Can you specify the Private insurance plan your uncle took so that experts can advise whether he can claim again or not.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.