HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

About to start on P90X, but need some help with equipment!

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #1

About to start on P90X, but need some help with equipment!

I'll be doing the P90X Lean first, then proceeding to Classic. I've done as much googling as I can but still quite stumped about some stuff.

I've ordered a pull-up bar online, and even got an exercise mat.

What I'm still confused about are the dumbbells. I figure I'd need adjustable, as that's what the frantic googling has told me, but I still don't know what weights I should get. Or would it be more economical for me to get fixed weights?

I weigh about 70kg and am around 1.73m. Would appreciate help from anyone, whether you've done P90X before or not. Thank you!
timsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #2

The most economical would be getting resistance bands (other brands, not the one recommended by P90X)

(I haven't completed it - for the record - only did until the Yoga section...)

Or would it be more economical for me to get fixed weights?
mir_ror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #3

The most economical would be getting resistance bands (other brands, not the one recommended by P90X)

(I haven't completed it - for the record - only did until the Yoga section...)
Haha yeah I heard bands are a lot cheaper. But I was thinking more towards the weights. It seems a lot better, so why cut corners when I'm already going all the way. xD
Old 31-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #4

Bump if anyone can help me?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #5

think most here are into gym and not really into P90x type of workouts. Most dumbbells are sold in sets, just get one first and start exercising? additional weights can always be bought later.
alternatively you can purchase "Turbulence Training" as he has bodyweight edition. one legged squats are not easy..
then progress to gym.. haha
wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

If you need help, make it easy for others to help you.
List exactly what is required (spec, detail) and you can't find.

Do you expect others to go google (for you) for the details of the equipment required for this P90X?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #7

I think he's mainly asking for recommendations regarding what kind of dumb-bells to get - those with fixed weights or adjustable(?):

I figure I'd need adjustable, as that's what the frantic googling has told me, but I still don't know what weights I should get. Or would it be more economical for me to get fixed weights?
The p90x part is just to set the context for his question. I can't really comment coz got no experience buying dumb-bells and I was using resistance bands anyway.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

think most here are into gym and not really into P90x type of workouts. Most dumbbells are sold in sets, just get one first and start exercising? additional weights can always be bought later.
alternatively you can purchase "Turbulence Training" as he has bodyweight edition. one legged squats are not easy..
then progress to gym.. haha
Ahh I see. What do you mean sold in sets? Like, a few different dumbbells of different weights? Would that be economical?
If you need help, make it easy for others to help you.
List exactly what is required (spec, detail) and you can't find.

Do you expect others to go google (for you) for the details of the equipment required for this P90X?
I am not asking for help to FIND certain weights. I am asking for information. I assumed with this being a fitness forum, people would know what P90X entails. Based on the gentleman above, I realize my assumptions were wrong.

P90X is simply a home workout programme that has parts of it using weights to train. All they state is to get weights that would be challenging yet is possible to accomplish. That is where I am stumped. Therefore I've put up my height and weight too in case someone asks, cos' I read somewhere that it is related.
I think he's mainly asking for recommendations regarding what kind of dumb-bells to get - those with fixed weights or adjustable(?):The p90x part is just to set the context for his question. I can't really comment coz got no experience buying dumb-bells and I was using resistance bands anyway.
Thanks mir_ror. Close, but I specified a bit more too. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #9

Maybe you can consider those dumb bells with adjustable weight plates or choose resistance bands like what mir_ror suggested.

I was also suppose to start on P90X but I went with Insanity instead since no equipment needed.
tekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #10

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair): Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

This is the set I see being used in the beachbody workout videos but not sure where to find them locally ...
tekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #11

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair): Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

This is the set I see being used in the beachbody workout videos but not sure where to find them locally ...
They sell those at AIBI, $400-600.

can just get these kind?
NutriFirst - (O`Bells) Dumbbell Set with Rubber Ring (20Kg)
(im not specifically saying this one, i didnt research if its good, just these type. allows progress better than fixed dumbbells.)
jjl.bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

The NutriFirst one, red and white plates looks chio!

However, i don't quite like the spin locks, seems to loose if the bar is rotating like when doing curl.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.