Which brand of Fish Oil capsules?

EEXOOO

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

recently interested in starting on Fish Oil (Omega-3) capsules/softgels but there seem to be many different brands. Which are the recommended brands? and what are the differences between each brands?

Please help :) Thanks in advance!

EEXOOO

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

weibchen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
as explained in the write up the main thing you have to look for are these -

Potentcy - EPA/DHA ratio - normal grade is 180/120/Pharmaceutical grade is around 400/200 and above
Price - GNC and Watson is extremely over priced - 60 bucks for 60 caps iirc.
Quality - molecularly distilled - meaning the oil is processed to remove heavy metals from the content - mercury. Also they might use smaller fish, as you go lower down the food chain the life expectency is lower and contamination is lesser.
Value - Getting your money's worth is important however this can conflict with your life, if you can remember i'd recommend taking liquid fish oil as its more value for money/potency vs price vs quantity.

Though all fish oil is the same, that doesn't mean all are made equal.

The benefits is undeniable, anyone who is in the pursuit of health and are bothered will ask you get fish oil as we all have experience the benefits with our training and overall health.

EEXOOO

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When you say 400/200 ratio does it mean 400mg EPA & 200mg DHA?
When you say 15g per day to for effects to show, it is an amount for a healthy person? I'm not into body building just more concerned over my health and my facial condition.

weibchen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The general recommendation is 15grams - too little you won't see any benefits, i've not read anyone who had too much frankly.
You can try 6 grams first, then slowly increase it till you get a desired effect.

Don't have to be bodybuilding per se, but if you're really concern about your health then proper nutrition and exercise is one element you cannot deny.

You cannot out train a crappy diet, you cannot out supplement bad lifestyle choices.
Supplements are progress enhancers and make your life easier not progress starters.
Though i would consider fish oil as to be a food actually together with greens.

So If you're not trying to eat right and exercising to keep healthy body composition, i hope with what i say you'd reconsider.

KelvinKing

Reaction score
I previously used the liquid form from Jarrow's Formula, which I bought from ultimateSG.com

Now, i'm using NOW Foods, capsule form which I buy from nutritiopark.com

So far so good. I think these brands are generally better as they focus on mainly health foods. I'd rather not buy fish oil from GNC or some jack of all trades....

Just my opinion.

keithzhoulw

Reaction score
have tried at least 5 brands of fish oil including getting ripped by GNC when i first start on fish oil. would recommend kirkland or NOW for money worth

tellim

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i buy from nature farms. about 72 bucks for 600 cap during offer.

i go nature farm coz if any problem w the product, got a storefront to look for and complain ;p

EEXOOO

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah quite a few people intro NOW Food, normally how many do you guys take?

villan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i take vitamax and no fishy burps at all. used to take guardian house brand, gives fishy burps

ElephantMan

Banned
Reaction score
I now eat 9 capsules a day. As for benefits hmm. They say smoother joints. Well i did dips and shoulder joint felt well stiff. Anyway running out and need to buy again. Order from nutrionpark. Oh yes taking Now brand i only noticed it right now after looking at the bottle. :D

As for liquid fish oil, wun it have a horrible fishy taste in your mouth????? In capsule form u dun taste anything unless u bite it.

Guys who take liquid fish oil is it nasty tasting?

weibchen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nope, taste like lemon.

Fish oil is just that it'll help but you also need to be proactive, its a supplement not a drug.
Do you do rolling, stretching, activation and mobilization prior to your work out?

If not, then you got your solution there.

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
I now eat 9 capsules a day. As for benefits hmm. They say smoother joints. Well i did dips and shoulder joint felt well stiff. Anyway running out and need to buy again. Order from nutrionpark. Oh yes taking Now brand i only noticed it right now after looking at the bottle. :D

As for liquid fish oil, wun it have a horrible fishy taste in your mouth????? In capsule form u dun taste anything unless u bite it.

Guys who take liquid fish oil is it nasty tasting?

nope. infact i like the fishy oil smell. i always bite the the caps, drink the oil and then throw away the caps.

Dounut

Reaction score
I take Supa EPA, 50 softgels x 1000mg for $29.50 retail price. I usually get it at a discounted price. It has a fishy smell each time I open the bottle. It's concentrated & Molecularly Distilled salmon fish oil, equivalent to 500mg Omega-3 with 300mg EPA & 200mg DHA.

keithzhoulw

Reaction score
I take Supa EPA, 50 softgels x 1000mg for $29.50 retail price. I usually get it at a discounted price. It has a fishy smell each time I open the bottle. It's concentrated & Molecularly Distilled salmon fish oil, equivalent to 500mg Omega-3 with 300mg EPA & 200mg DHA.

wow.high EPA and DHA there .but is it money worth ?? in my oponion and there fishy smell . eks

weibchen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thats expensive the natural factors one i'm bringing is - 240 softgels for 400/200 epa:dha for a mere $50.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.