HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Dental, Braces & Jaw Surgery

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2016, 01:52 AM   #46

Dear Kuku
I did my jaw surgery with Winston Tan few years back.! Pay a fair bit but now I look more confident. 5K surgery is way too Low, still can claim medisave?? Total is ??
Yes. I did braces too. Market is 3.5k-6.5k.... big range
Not sure about ktp...
Jia you!!
Keith ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 06:17 AM   #47

Dear Kuku
I did my jaw surgery with Winston Tan few years back.! Pay a fair bit but now I look more confident. 5K surgery is way too Low, still can claim medisave?? Total is ??
Not sure about ktp...
Jia you!!
I dont understand what talking you on the "5k surgery is way too low, still can claim medisave?? Total is ??". Can explain this part? What does it mean? You claimed $5k surgery fee using medisave ah?
KuKuBirDx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #48

Dear Kuku
Not sure about ktp...
Jia you!!
Hi
If I don't remember wrongly
Medisave I used 15k and cask 5k
Braces 3.5+ GST
Total duration is 2 years as I still need to tidy up teeth with braces after surgery
Pain and suffering I'd definitely worth it !
Dr Winston is my hero!!
He did my surgery within 2 hours!!!
Hope you do well too
Keith ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #49

Hi
If I don't remember wrongly
Medisave I used 15k and cask 5k
Braces 3.5+ GST
Total duration is 2 years as I still need to tidy up teeth with braces after surgery
Pain and suffering I'd definitely worth it !
Dr Winston is my hero!!
He did my surgery within 2 hours!!!
Hope you do well too
What? Still need pay cash for 5k? Hahaha! What about the MC? Haha
Old 15-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #50

I actually type my experience in the other post, but seems more friendly here. hehe.. copy and past from the other thread.

Installation of the braces are in my furthest last check list in my bucket to do.
The other day I just briefly mention to my bf that I wanna put braces.

Due to these 2 reason:
1)I always have bit myelf internally when I'm eating.
2)i have gummy smile.

Gummy smile isnt much of a concern for me though.

And so my Bf took my words seriously and recommended to go NUS for undergrad/postgrads to do. Cost is definitely cheaper than the market rate and also there are experience lecturers who are practicing in dentistry for many years to supervise them.

By the way, I didn't get any contacts from NUH Dental nor polyclinic, cant post links as I do not have sufficient post count.

They will not take up all cases, it is base on the uniqueness of the subject case.

And so I went for consultation in jun and I was selected to be one of their case study subject. Haha. I paid $17.10 for 4 x rays and 4 impressions(the students repeats several times as it is not up to their expectations, I'm absolutely fine with it :p )

And so, I received a letter saying I was selected and waiting/queueing time is 1 to 2 years, best part is that, I received a call in Sept to start my installation. I wait for about 4months which got me really excited.

To began with, my braces journey started from end of Oct, school schedule is a little difficult to match with my work time because they dont operate on weekends(it's a school). The schedule is also back to back. If I miss it, I had to wait for 2-3weeks(which I did for my 1st appointment)

Did advise me to go for surgery and they explained what's gonna happen. No way I'm not gonna put myself into that trouble, admit in hospital for 3-4days, HL is one month, after that, has to wear braces. There are further details, i'm lazy to type.

Insert 8 separators last Thur(3/11), I can't eat at all until now. My gums become very very sensitive to pressure. I took 2hrs to eat 2pcs of peanut butter bread, and eventually I threw it away. Haha... Most of my food supplies comes from drinks such as milo, cereal. Haha... I'm sure my weight gonna drop.

On Monday 8/11, I did my extraction, I dont know why the pain spread to other teeths instead of the actual tooth/area itself.

This morning, went back to NUS to check the healing of the sockets and putt on the band, my tooth/gum is super duper sensitive. Separator was removed for awhile, and one of it broke. It was just too tight.
The dentist(post grad) was trying so hard to get the band in(she was trembling when she tries to enforced the ring to be in there), so I told her I could bite it to get it in there. :p

Oh well, I only start reading and looking at videos and researching about braces since 11/11. And here I am! I couldnt believe next week I'm wearing braces. seems like I had always been ' dont know what's going on

Last edited by blyth3; 15-11-2016 at 06:52 PM..
blyth3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #51

Sigh~ the molar teeth with the separator feels uncomfortable when the dentist 1st place it there, i can feel that the metal separator is sliding up and down can causing discomfort when i bite down.

After extraction of my pre molar teeth, the dentist also redo filing for the molar tooth(the one in between 2 separator), went back to the dentist to fit the band, so she actually replace the separator for me, this time i dont feel that it is sliding up and down, but when i tried to bite down, the pressure causing sharp pain is quite intense, level 8/10.

Not sure it is due to the filling or separator.

absolutely feels alright when i eat ice cream or consume cold drinks.

braces installation is this thur, in another 2days, should i just leave the sharp pain biting issue and brave it through to go for the braces?

I'm not that young too. hahaha.. nice to hear that are ppl out there in their late 20s

by the way, the cost is quoted to me is 2.8k includes a set of retainers at the end of the package, excluding GST, consultation extraction and scaling.

Last edited by blyth3; 16-11-2016 at 06:26 PM..
Old 16-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #52

Sigh~ the molar teeth with the separator feels uncomfortable when the dentist 1st place it there, i can feel that the metal separator is sliding up and down can causing discomfort when i bite down.

After extraction of my pre molar teeth, the dentist also redo filing for the molar tooth(the one in between 2 separator), went back to the dentist to fit the band, so she actually replace the separator for me, this time i dont feel that it is sliding up and down, but when i tried to eat the sharp pain is quite intense when i bite down.

Not sure it is due to the filling or separator.

absolutely feels alright when i eat ice cream or consume cold drinks.

braces installation is this thur, in another 2days, should i just leave the sharp pain biting issue and brave it through to go for the braces?

I'm not that young too. hahaha.. nice to hear that are ppl out there in their late 20s

by the way, the cost is quoted to me is 2.8k includes a set of retainers at the end of the package, excluding GST, consultation extraction and scaling.
2.8k including retainers is really really super duper cheap! You sure your dentist aint some con man from China? Haha
chocobunny likes this.
Old 16-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #53

Ya, cos NUS Dentistry need many various candidate with various dental issue so that they can take up the case and do presentation and all.

My dentist has already grad, but she's already practicing clinical work, and whatever she does, she'll have a immediate superior to report to, and also access my set of teeth.

She's petite, and cute. haha, she has done up a PPT slides to present to the supervising manager.

Last edited by blyth3; 16-11-2016 at 06:24 PM..
Old 16-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #54

another reason why i didnt opt for surgery, (the upper set, not sure consider jaw surgery or not)

1) i had to admit in hospital for 3-4days
2) HL leave is at least a month
3) mine quoted is 7-8k and i dont have pre install braces prior to the surgery.
4) i cant claim cosmetic from my insurance even though i have medisave

pertaining to the above points, point 1) & 2) is the deciding factor, my company is going through restructuring 3rd time this year, my sister company had 80% of the employees left the company for good, and it spread to my side, 2 colleagues last day today.

I have to secure my rice bowl over cosmetic appearance.
chocobunny likes this.
Old 24-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #55

another reason why i didnt opt for surgery, (the upper set, not sure consider jaw surgery or not)

1) i had to admit in hospital for 3-4days
2) HL leave is at least a month
3) mine quoted is 7-8k and i dont have pre install braces prior to the surgery.
4) i cant claim cosmetic from my insurance even though i have medisave

pertaining to the above points, point 1) & 2) is the deciding factor, my company is going through restructuring 3rd time this year, my sister company had 80% of the employees left the company for good, and it spread to my side, 2 colleagues last day today.

I have to secure my rice bowl over cosmetic appearance.
Orthognathic surgery ain't a cosmetic surgery so the cost should be claimable from your insurance company if it's Medisave-claimable. If the function of your jaws are impacted, best to get it checked. If there's at least a comfortable anount of function then postpone also can(:
chocobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #56

Orthognathic surgery ain't a cosmetic surgery so the cost should be claimable from your insurance company if it's Medisave-claimable. If the function of your jaws are impacted, best to get it checked. If there's at least a comfortable anount of function then postpone also can(:
I've Double confirmed with my insurance before I decide not to opt for jaw surgery. Sigh~ luckily didnt make this decision, my immediate reporting Superior and another was laid off last week. Everyone is so uptight in office now.
Old 25-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #57

I've installed braces for a week now, because I didnt opt for surgery, the dentist has place arch metal in the inner area upper and lower, something like retainer but not. The wires are pretty thick. Tried to googled but cant get the correct word.

It is not common to have these wires, ask my sis and a few friends, they didnt put the lei. Wanted to post pics here, but not enough post count.
Old 28-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #58

I've Double confirmed with my insurance before I decide not to opt for jaw surgery. Sigh~ luckily didnt make this decision, my immediate reporting Superior and another was laid off last week. Everyone is so uptight in office now.
Haha the last time I checked with my insurance agent, he said it's a cosmetic surgery but when I passed him the surgical code my surgeon gave me, it turned out to be claimable and I told him it's time to read up and become more informative! Nevermind, next year when your company settles down (i hope?) you can re-assess. But it's good that surgery ain't compulsory for you. Tbh, when I woke up from the anaesthesia, I really, really regretted. It was quite unbearable, now though, I'm glad I stood by my decision.

I wanna see pics of your wires!!!
blyth3 likes this.
Old 29-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #59

found it's called Lingual Arch for lower, and TransPalatal Arch (TPA) for the roof, cant close my mouth entirely
Old 30-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #60

found it's called Lingual Arch for lower, and TransPalatal Arch (TPA) for the roof, cant close my mouth entirely
Whoa, does it hurt? How do you eat?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.