HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

different kind of sweetener

just check with u guys ..
which type u all use in post workout ?

last time i use the glucolin, quite expensive from ntuc

then i bought this form iherb.com
iHerb.com - Product Reviews Now Foods, Dextrose Corn Sugar, 32 oz (908 g)

now i realize there is so many types

1) iHerb.com - Product Reviews Now Foods, Erythritol, 100% Pure Natural Sweetener, 1 lb (454 g)

2) Now Foods, Fructose, 3 lbs. (1360 g) - iHerb.com

3)Now Foods, Healthy Foods, Beet Sugar, 3 lbs (1361 g) - iHerb.com

4)iHerb.com - Product Reviews Now Foods, Healthy Foods, Xylitol, 1 lb (454 g)

and more ... is there any difference?

i use it in post workout, ie 1 tblspoons
as for my tea, i will use equal sugar or those cheapo honey
soeyism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

My advice is don't use sweetener at all. You won't know what kind of long term effect they'll have, despite approval from whatever.

And you'll get use to non-sweeten drink very soon.

Once I was a Coke addict. When I adopted a healthier lifestyle, I limit myself to a can on every public holiday and birthday.
Then after sometime, I feel that what I used to drink so much (1-2 can a day), has become too sweet for my liking.
Now I don't even crave for it at all.

Likewise kopi / teh. Now I drink only Kosong.
Old 19-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

is not about the sweet taste, i can live with water alone and i don really take tea / kopi.

from somewhere i read
though i don really under the 2nd part of the 2nd para

sugar in pwo:

Dextrose is more likely to give you an insulin boost and get all the nutrients to the muscles more quickly than any other sugar. It gets into the cells faster than any other form of sugar. If used immediately post workout - it will be less likely to lead to fat gain and more likely to contribute to muscle gain than any other kind.

The ability of dextrose to get into the cell more quickly is why when we have a diabetic in insulin shock we give them dextrose instead of sucrose or fructose. I've had people who were confused or unconscious, diaphoretic, flaccid, sometimes combatative with a glucose level below 30. Give them 25g of dextrose IV and they are fine before the syringe is empty. Then get them to eat some protein to keep a balanced level for a longer period of time. I personally use 32g in my post workout shake and 20g of protein. Works pretty good.

unquote
Old 19-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Master Member

usually banana or anything starchy. it's cheaper.
Old 19-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Re:different kind of sweetener

There are 4 classes of simple sugars which are regarded by most nutritionists as "harmful" to optimal health when prolonged consumption in amounts above 15% of the carbohydrate calories are ingested: Sucrose, fructose, honey, and malts. I'd like to discuss sugars and sweeteners. Personally, I don't think that any of it is harmful in small doses, but I would prefer using natural sugar over an artificial sweetener.
shanyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #6

Take starchy carbs. Makes you feel fuller also
ziplock99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #7

Sugar After Workouts | LIVESTRONG.COM

Sugar After Workouts

Following a workout is quite possibly the best time to consume sugar. When you train, your body burns glycogen, or sugar. Both blood sugar and muscle glycogen are consumed during a workout, and to recover, as well as progress, you need to restore depleted glycogen levels as quickly as possible. Consult your physician before beginning any diet or exercise program.

Not All Sugars Are Created Equal

Before pouring table sugar into your post-workout shake, you need to be aware that different sugars have different effects on not only your blood sugar, but your ability to refill muscle glycogen, which is the goal of your post-workout meal. There are four basic types of sugar: fructose, dextrose, lactose and glucose. Fructose can be considered fruit sugar; dextrose comes from wheat, potato or corn starches; lactose comes from milk; sucrose is table sugar.

Why Does the Type of Sugar Matter?

Post-workout you want a sugar that is quickly converted, and will make it to your muscles as fast as possible to speed you on your way to recovery. This is about the only time you want a sugar like this, with the possible exception of using a small amount for energy before your workout. This means you need to consider the glycemic index, which is a measure of not only how quickly a sugar is converted, but also the effect of the sugar on your blood stream. The larger the number, the faster the conversion. Dextrose has a score of 100, sucrose 65, lactose 46 and fructose 20. In addition to being unsuitable for a post-workout meal because of its low glycemic index, fructose is also utilized primarily by your liver, not the muscles, making this wholly unsuitable for your purposes.

Other Types of Sugar

There are other types of sugars commercially available that have an even higher glycemic index than dextrose, such as maltodextrin, which should convert and replenish depleted muscle glycogen stores even faster. If you wished to use it, you would need to supplement this in some manner. But pay attention to the actual details, not the hype. Waxy maize starch is sold as a post-workout sugar by some companies, yet research has shown it to be less effective than dextrose.

Add Protein to Your Carbohydrates

To further optimize your recovery, add protein to your post-workout shake. You have broken down muscle tissue which is in need of repair, this is the ideal time for both protein and carbohydrates. A pronounced anabolic effect can be achieved for supplementing in this manner. Keep the protein fairly simple, as well. You can use milk, but it will lower the overall glcyemic index of your shake, so you might wish to try some simple whey protein to bolster your gains.
Old 19-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Well what you're talking about is simple carbs for PWO if you follow that traditional model, not sweetener as in sugars/stuff that taste sweet.

A repressed sheltered nation breeds an island of ball-gagged neutered adult-children buttfvcking each other. God forbid they should actually man up, own their words and actions.
vurtomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Master Member

my advice: dont be too obsessed with getting carb supplement after reading that article.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #10

Yeah, insulin is easy to spike, I wouldn't worry about adding simple carbs to a PWO shake.

A repressed sheltered nation breeds an island of ball-gagged neutered adult-children buttfvcking each other. God forbid they should actually man up, own their words and actions.
vurtomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.