FroztSpectre's Workout Log, fresh start!

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Time for a fresh start!
Decided it's time to stop being fat, and it's time to get back some strength.

My previous workout log:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/health-fitness-corner-48/froztspectres-workout-log-3214535.html

Aims:
To get back at least 85-90% of my peak training numbers in my previous log. Took me 4months last time, I'll aim for 6months this time. Gonna go really slow and steady this time, no more rushing for gains.

Roughly...
5x5 90kg squats
5x5 40kg overhead press
5x5 65kg Bench Press
5x5 60kg Pendlay Rows
1x5 100kg Deadlifts (screw this, 75% of my previous number is enough)

Stats:
Current Age: 22 years old, 23 this year.
Current Weight: 60kg

Program:
As per previous log, SL5x5
However instead of rapidly increasing the weights for Squats and Deadlifts, I'm going to do it slow.

For Squats, I'll increase by 1.25kg/side every session. Once i hit 20kg a side, I'll increase by 1.25kg/side every 2 sessions. Once i hit 30kg a side, I'll increase by 1.25kg/side every 3 sessions. Once i hit 40kg a side, I'll probably not even increase anymore lol. I don't want risk injuring myself again.

For Deadlifts, I'll increase by 2.5kg/side every session. Once i hit 30kg a side, I'll increase by 2.5kg/side every 2 session that i do my Deadlifts. Once i hit 40kg a side, I'll increase by 2.5kg/side every 2-3 sessions that i do my deadlifts. Once i hit 50kg I'll just maintain, don't want to risk injuring myself again.

Update on June 2019:

I'm back! Session 1 begins on page 9!
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...ectres-workout-log-fresh-start-5315567-9.html

Last edited:

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3rd March 2016

Venue: Tampines ActiveSG Gym (previous ClubFitt)
Time: 8.30pm~

Sets x Reps

Squats:
1x10 - 5kg a Side [Warmups]
5x5 - 15kg a Side

Bench Press:
1x10 - 5kg a Side [Warmups]
5x5 - 10kg a side

Barbell Rows:
1x10 - 25kg
5x5 - 30kg

Extras:
1x20 pullups

Comments:
My leg's aching badly. My butt's aching badly.
Really back to square 1, or even worst than square 1 LOL.

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
8th March 2015 [Session 2]
Muscles still aching from session 1, but should be able to hit the gym today.

Sets X Rep

Squats
1x10 body weight [warmup]
1x10 5kg a side [warmup]
5x5 16.25kg a side

Overhead press
1x10 empty bar [warmup]
5x5 5kg a side

Deadlifts
1x10 10kg a side [warmup]
1x5 20kg a side

Extras:
1x16 Pull Ups

Notes:
I don't recall overhead presses and deadlifts being so difficult at 5kg a side and 20kg a side respectively. :O

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
11th March 2016 [Session 3]

Sets X Reps

Squats:
1x10 empty bar [warmups]
1x5 10kg a side [warmups]
5x5 17.5kg a side

Bench press
1x10 empty bar [warmup]
1x8 5kg a side [Warmup]
5x5 11.25kg a side

barbell rows
5x5 35kg
Forgot to warmup, and can't find 32.5kg barbells...

Extras:
18 pull ups

charcoalx

Reaction score
thats the problem with SL 5x5...gain fast lose fast.

Keverus, why would you say that SL 5x5 gain fast and lose fast? I believe the fast gains is due primarily to novices rapidly gaining strength from CNS adaptation rather than from muscle mass increase.

Similarly, if a novice stop training, the detraining impact would also be significant as he/she usually doesn't have significant muscle mass to maintain the strength gains in the first place.

I don't think the rapid gain and deterioration is anything to do with SL 5x5 in the first place but rather due to the general profile of people choosing SL 5x5.

Just my two cents.

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sigh... Was looking back at older videos/pictures for motivation, but became more demoralized instead...

4.5 years back.... 4-5 months of training
h5ewWmI.png

charcoalx

Reaction score
Sigh... Was looking back at older videos/pictures for motivation, but became more demoralized instead...

4.5 years back.... 4-5 months of training
h5ewWmI.png

I was looking at your workout log.

If you can manage 1 set of 16 or 20 pull-ups, you are not really a true beginner. I guess in that sense, our profile is similar.

Given your muscle memory, you just need to get your CNS to be reconditioned and your gains would probably be rapid.

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was looking at your workout log.

If you can manage 1 set of 16 or 20 pull-ups, you are not really a true beginner. I guess in that sense, our profile is similar.

Given your muscle memory, you just need to get your CNS to be reconditioned and your gains would probably be rapid.

The problem is with the joints.
previously i was just pushing myself and ignoring some pain (knee/tailbone area)
i can no longer do that already. don't really want to go too heavy nowawdays.

maxieb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The problem is with the joints.
previously i was just pushing myself and ignoring some pain (knee/tailbone area)
i can no longer do that already. don't really want to go too heavy nowawdays.

I personally thinks that don't be to obsessed with numbers
It will affect you mentally and slow down your progress
Concentrate on training and do what you comfortable with and perfect it
A lot of time we will be distracted by the numbers game

Keverus

Banned
Reaction score
@charcoalx

agreed with your CNS thing, but then, if you do a 3x8 routine, it works as well.

this is my personal experience. i have run SL 5x5, and it only gotten me fatter. yes, my lifts went up, but when i tried to 'cut', it was horrible. my lifts went down, i felt like crap, and the whole process of trying to cut was bad.

i then switched to a more balanced routine (5/3/1), whereby you have strength component and also rep work. thereafter i had a long layoff (due to some health issues), but when I returned, my lifts did not deteriorate that much. .

u can argue that it could be because i had a better "strength base" after doing SL 5x5, but imo, it was because the strength was gained via real muscle, not fueled by fats.

the problems with SL 5x5:
1. many do it thinking they become aesthetic
2. mehdi seems to think eating more is the answer to everything
3. a lean bulk is more sustainable than a bulk-cut cycle (for normal people)

Just my 2 nickels.

Keverus

Banned
Reaction score
in addition, if you have read 5/3/1 and follow jim wendler,with himself being a powerlifter, you realize that he places a great deal of emphasis on conditioning, which SL 5x5 severely lacks.

charcoalx

Reaction score
@charcoalx

agreed with your CNS thing, but then, if you do a 3x8 routine, it works as well.

this is my personal experience. i have run SL 5x5, and it only gotten me fatter. yes, my lifts went up, but when i tried to 'cut', it was horrible. my lifts went down, i felt like crap, and the whole process of trying to cut was bad.

i then switched to a more balanced routine (5/3/1), whereby you have strength component and also rep work. thereafter i had a long layoff (due to some health issues), but when I returned, my lifts did not deteriorate that much. .

u can argue that it could be because i had a better "strength base" after doing SL 5x5, but imo, it was because the strength was gained via real muscle, not fueled by fats.

the problems with SL 5x5:
1. many do it thinking they become aesthetic
2. mehdi seems to think eating more is the answer to everything
3. a lean bulk is more sustainable than a bulk-cut cycle (for normal people)

Just my 2 nickels.

If you become fatter due to 5x5, then the problem is with your diet.

My CNS response is purely with regards to your statement that SL5x5 lead to rapid increase in strength follow up rapid decrease if you stop.

You are now mixing in the factors of training volume of 5x5 vs 5/3/1 and the sustainability of lean bulk vs bulk cut (which I do agree that lean bulk is more sustainable)

Are we now talking about sustainable strength gains from differences in training volume of 5x5 vs 5/3/1 or sustainable muscle mass gains from lean bulking vs bulk cut?

Based on my read-up of SL5x5, I don't think Medhi really advocate bulk-cut or lean bulk. SL5x5 is just a beginner program for conditioning.

Last edited:

charcoalx

Reaction score
in addition, if you have read 5/3/1 and follow jim wendler,with himself being a powerlifter, you realize that he places a great deal of emphasis on conditioning, which SL 5x5 severely lacks.

I agree with these points but I am saying 5x5 don't lead to rapid strength gains and then rapid strength decrease if you stop. The rapid increase and decrease is due to the general profile of people choosing 5x5.

If you get an experienced lifter to do 5x5, he won't experience rapid strength gains. When he stop for a while, he also won't experience rapid strength decrease due to his conditioned CNS and lean muscle mass.

For the record, I am not defending SL5x5, I am saying that your point regarding 5x5 has mistaken correlation for causality.

charcoalx

Reaction score

I partially agree.

As guys, we always want to get bigger, faster, stronger. And the only way to measure that is via numbers. This is where I disagree with your point to not focus on numbers.

Where I do agree with you is that numbers are meaningless if you are not lifting with proper form and/or where the chase for numbers is preventing you from enjoy the iron game.

For me, I do chase numbers (as you guys know from my training log) but only in a safe and sustainable manner where my only benchmark is my recent performance, and not vs a glorious past which has no relation to my current physical state.

derrickgyn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Agree but this is not applicable to TS. He has plenty of room to grow and is more than capable of pursuing the numbers without compromising on pretty much anything. Focusing on other aspects of training is more relevant where you've more or less maxed out as a beginner.

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
14th March [Session 4]
Time: 4.10pm-4.55pm

Sets X Reps
1x10 empty bar [warmups]
1x5 18.75kg a side
4x5 20kg a side
(Sharing rack, too lazy to remove all the weights and then putting them back at my turn. Might as well just continue using 1 blue plate. Will still do 20kg a side next session)

Overhead press
1x10 empty bar [warmups]
5x5 6.25kg a side
(Cheated during 4th set 5th rep, and 5th set 4th and 5th rep)
(Used my legs to push a little. Will continue with same weight next overhead press session)

Deadlifts
1x10 22.5kg a side
(Still had some strength left. Might as well continue with 10 reps)

Extras:
1x 18 pullups

Having sore throat today... Sigh...
And lol finishing all workout within 45mins. Maybe I should have rested a little more.

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
16th March 2016 [Session 5]
Venue: Tampines ActiveSG
Time: 10.30am-12am

Sets X Reps

Squats:
1x10 empty bar
1x5 10kg a side
5x5 20kg a side

Bench press
1x10 empty bar
1x8 5kg a side
5x5 12.5kg a side

Barbell rows
1x5 17.5kg
5x5 35kg

Extra:
1x15 5kg weighted pullups

Notes:
Today got 2 pretty girls at the gym HAHAHAHA
And squats starting to feel easy once again. No longer having the aching feel.

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
21 March 2016 [Session 6]
Time: 11.15pm
Venue: Tampines SAFRA

Sets X Reps

Squats
1x10 empty [warmup]
1x5 10kg per side [warmup]
5x5 20kg per side
(ZZZ forgot I was suppose to do 21.25)

Overhead Press
2x5 empty bar [warmup]
5x5 6.25kg per side

Deadlifts
1x5 10kg a side [warmup]
1x8 25kg a side

Extras
1x15 5kg weighted pull ups

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.