H&F Program Compilation

sazuro

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update 1 has been initiated. Not completed, will be adding more tomorrow. Check post No. 83, 84 and 85 for updates.
---------------------------------------------------

Over the past few weeks, or even months, there has been an influx of members posting their routines and questioning their results. The one factor that seems to be consistent among these cases is the actual development of the routine.

I believe that unless you are an advanced, or in the least an intermediate lifter, it is not wise to create your own routine in the hopes of achieving your goals.

You are better served by utilizing a routine that has been tried and tested. And of course, run the program for a pre-determined period of time. Specifically, until it no longer yields the results you want.

For the benefit of some of the members here, I have taken the liberty to compile a list of the better known programs, specifically those that have shown to produce results.

Foundation Building

Starting Strength

Stronglifts 5x5

Strength-Based Programs

The famous 5/3/1

5/3/1 Full Body Training - Jim Wendler

Push-Pull

Westside for Skinny *******s (WS4SB) 3

Hypertrophy-Based Programs

DoggCrapp Training

GVT - German Volume Training

Power/Hypertrophy Routine

Total Body Training - Chad Waterbury

HST - Hypertrophy Specific Training

Fat Loss

Tabata - 4 minutes for Fat Loss

OVT - Optimized Volume Training

GBC - German Body Composition

Metabolic Conditioning

TACTFIT

Training Tools

5/3/1 Calculator 1

5/3/1 Calculator 2

No matter which routine you choose, your diet is the deciding factor.

Gain muscle - Eat more
Lose fat - Eat less

Feel free to suggest additional routines/programs that people may benefit from.

UPDATE September 15 2011

Full Body Training - Jim Wendler
5/3/1 Calculator 1 & 2

For those intermediate/advanced lifters here interested in DC Training, check out this thread. It has most/all the answered required to get a firm grasp on what is essentially DC Training and how to go about doing it.
Please take note, this is NOT recommended for anyone starting out or still achieving beginner progress.

DC Training Q & A

Last edited:

rundymc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-*******s-part3.html

Westside for Skinny *******s (WS4SB) 3

I think a lot of guys just starting out, in their first or second year, look at programs as some sort of consumer product. A new program is like a shiny new toy to play around with. I was like that with my first and second tries with 531 and WS4SB. You buy into the concepts the programs preach (which is fine, faith helps) and can't wait for results to magically appear.

As someone who stalled for a full year doing the ole program hop, like anyone who has done the same, I can say the things that actually make you progress are:

a) Hardwork
b) Intensity

In the weight room.

c) Persistence
d) Consistency

In the weight room, kitchen and your bed (no not sexy time, focus)

f) Listening to your body

Everywhere, all the time.

All the programs you want to try don't mean sh*t if you don't get all this in check. The above should be the real focus of your time. Training hard, making sure you eat what you need to grow/lean up, and making sure you get the rest you need. Always keep in mind that everyone is different, and what works for one person won't always work with another.

That said, if you're a beginner and don't have anyone advanced enough to train with, you need a starting point, and that's where programs come in handy. Sport guys too. Just know that in the end everybody goes through a learning process.

Sweet thread. Should be in sticky.

hermanchauw

Master Member
Reaction score
More metabolic conditioning protocols TACFIT style:

1) Tabatas

2) 4 minutes on: 1 minute off

3) Every minute on the minute

4) As many rounds as possible

5) 90 seconds on: 30 seconds off, circuit x2

6) For time.

sazuro

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Updated with the links are requested. Will be bumping this periodically if the need be. I doubt it'll get stickied anyway.

siaoboy

Reaction score
Good stuff and thanks for the initiative.

Should sticky this for easy reference

ketua

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wave loading?
Pyramid?

also, SS & SL are not 'strength based' programme. Suggest a new category "foundation building" (newbie sounds lousy).

XanderBuilt

Master Member
Reaction score
Meadows work.

eve26p.jpg

Legs - http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...mous_and_strong_legs_the_mountain_dog_way&cr=

Back - http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/a_monstrous_back_the_mountain_dog_way&cr=

Chest - http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/chest_obliteration_mountain_dog_style&cr=

Shoulders - http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/shoulder_training_the_mountain_dog_way&cr=

Arms - http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/mountain_dog_arms&cr=

sazuro

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wave loading?
Pyramid?

also, SS & SL are not 'strength based' programme. Suggest a new category "foundation building" (newbie sounds lousy).

As I said, post links and I will update accordingly.

And SS and SL can be categorized under Strength Programs, cause anyone wanting to increase their numbers can benefit from them more so than performing a Hypertrophy Routine.

However, I will edit as needed. So thanks unker.

sazuro

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks goi :D gonna update. just wanna ensure its categorized right.

KurrysauceD

Reaction score
Should include post "foundation building" type of routines like texas 5x5 or madcow 5x5 .

If the trainee isn't bored of squatting 3x a week , it is good for squeezing every ounce of gains that is left out of linear gains weekly before transitioning into more of a strength based routine like 5/3/1 with monthly based weight increments

sashaBEAR

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wondering why for SL 5x5
Workout A is BB row and workout B is Deadlift (alternate them on different sessions)
Why not do them both?

If one is to follow the SL 5x5, can he do other exercises like shoulder presses, curls etc?

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wondering why for SL 5x5
Workout A is BB row and workout B is Deadlift (alternate them on different sessions)
Why not do them both?

If one is to follow the SL 5x5, can he do other exercises like shoulder presses, curls etc?

I curl/do extra pullups if i don't feel that tired.

Most of the time i do pullups though.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.