jokerk's worklog

jokerk

Master Member
Reaction score
What are you aiming for - aesthetic 6 pack abs, improve fitness for my other sports activities.

Weight: 92kg(117kg 8-10 months ago)
Height: 1.8m

Meal Habits

Morning - Wholemeal bread with shredded chicken topping/ Blue berry Morning cereal w/ low fat milk/oats

Lunch - NTUC's roasted BBQ 1/2 chicken with two sides of mixed vege(cauliflowers/brocolli/carrots)

Dinner - More or less same as lunch, but fish substitute for chicken and more fruits

Snacks - Nature's wonders plain Almonds/Cashews/Mixed Nuts or low-fat yoghurt

Post workout meal - 1.5 ounce 100% Gold Standard Whey

Pre Workout Meal - Nil

Current Workout SL5x5

Day 1 - Squats, Benchpress, Barbell Rows

Day 2 - Rest

Day 3 - Squats, O/H, D/Ls

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Squats, Benchpress, Barbell Rows

Injuries -
  1. Recovering from tailbone injury(feeling much better after not doing any exercises on it, should be able to resume normal training in a few days)
  2. Knee ligament tightening on and off.

Current fat % - 25.

Waistline - 36

Visible no of packs - 0

will provide a better one once i get someone to take it for me.

Current lifting stat.
Deadlifts - 82.5kg
Squats - 82.5kg
Bench - 70kg
OHP - 42.5kg

No of chin/pull up. - 8 max, 9th damn chui.

Weight training / sports background.
Rugby in jc, football and jujitsu for leisure currently
I'm currently fasting so I really just rest on rest days.

After fasting month, most of my days are filled up.

Gym days are Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays.

Interval training about 1:2 on Wednesdays.Currently clocking a timing of 1:40 per round(400m track), with 2 mins rest, for 6 rounds.

Jiujitsu training on Mondays and Thursdays(supposedly rest days). Turf football on Sunday nights(one of my gym days).

Swimming session on saturday nights.

I don't know whether it sounds like i'm doing too much, but jiujitsu trainings/football/swimming are mainly just cardio and not as intense as my typical workouts.

Have you read the stickies - Yes, good stuff!

Issues I'm facing

Food
I'm not sure what exactly to eat at what time, but I roughly know what I cannot eat (starchy carbs like rice and potatoes, sugary drinks)

I love the healthy snacks but it can be pricey. I'd just like to have a structured food diet that I can follow.

Physical
Lower part of my stomach still feels flabby.:s11

Took this post off the other thread. I intend to make a worklog of my progress. Going to include a video of my exercise forms in the future to be critiqued.:s12:

edit:
Updated photos and new goals

Last edited:

frostbyte88

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the detailed information. If you're wanting to lose fat, you might want to the try the leangains protocol(Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health). Perfect timing since it's the fasting month as well.

If you do some reading on that site, he advocates skipping breakfast and taking the largest meal of the day(50% calories) post workout(on workout days) or as the first meal of the day(non workout day). See if you can fit it into your schedule.

I would cut out cereal and the low fat stuff. Swap it with some eggs and fresh milk. At your height and weight, you seem to be undereating(by a lot). I'm 165/69kg and im eating more than you. How long have you been keeping to the diet below? And what are your eating habits this fasting month?

Your schedule is alright(you seem to be coping) but i would give myself at least 1 day of rest(full rest-no activity) per week to allow my CNS to recover. I would love to give more advice but im kind of in a rush so all the best to your goals!

cwong

Reaction score
Issues I'm facing

Food
I'm not sure what exactly to eat at what time, but I roughly know what I cannot eat (starchy carbs like rice and potatoes, sugary drinks)

I love the healthy snacks but it can be pricey. I'd just like to have a structured food diet that I can follow.

Some suggestions
- Learn how to cook and try to cook at least dinner. If possible cook all meals. I cook all meals daily unless traveling.
Cooking ur meals need some planning to succeed.
Cheaper source for meats
Q.B. Food Online
Welcome to S. S. Kim Enterprises Pte Ltd Online Store!
http://www.mmmm.com.sg

- Buy your nuts from the market opposite Fu Lu Shou complex at Bugis. Much cheaper than Nature Wonder.
Fu Lu Shou Complex
If concerned abt hygiene buy from phoon huat but it is more expensive than the market.
Product Catalogue

- Low carbs diet worked very well for me to lose weight and cut fat. Read this Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple
U appear to be fat-phobic and subscribe to eating fats will make u fat. Read the above link to dispel this misconception.

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
- Low carbs diet worked very well for me to lose weight and cut fat. Read this Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple
U appear to be fat-phobic and subscribe to eating fats will make u fat. Read the above link to dispel this misconception.

Yup. I totally agree - only way to lose fat is via hi protein low carb (carbs should mostly be fr vegs & fruits) & hi essential fat diet.

ketua

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Current lifting stat.
Deadlifts - 62.5kg (31.25 per side)
Squats - 62.5kg
Bench - 50kg
OHP - 22.5kg
No of chin/pull up. -

:eek:

Please include weight of bar, which is 45lb / 20kg.

Or 35lb / 15kg if you're using the shorter female Oly bar (some gym)

BeaRzwalken

Honorary Member
Reaction score

sometime is abit hard to know, i go diff gym the bar looks the same but when i use it i feel some are lighter some are heavier LoL.

Fasting month i feel like not so good to go all out workout o_O.....

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sometime is abit hard to know, i go diff gym the bar looks the same but when i use it i feel some are lighter some are heavier LoL.

if you're also Muslim & fasting, definitely you won't be able to go all out since between eating in the early morning & breaking fast in the evening it's easily more than 8 hrs...

ketua

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Cheapo made may be slightly lighter.

derrickgyn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Honestly, for your lifting stats, you look pretty muscular (i see your lateral head of the triceps being very prominent). All the best!

BeaRzwalken

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i am not muslim but seeing how TS pack his week, i feel abit overwork, so i tot is best for him to take one day off for a good recovery

jokerk

Master Member
Reaction score

Roger, you're right I didn't include it. But i'm using the longer barbell(olympic barbell?). *updated in first post

I started the diet about 2 months ago. Basically, what I read was having 6 meals a day. Snacks 3 hrs after a main meal like bf,lunch or dinner. I'd just spam yoghurt or fruits when I feel like munching something at night.

But that might just change once i've read the articles you guys shared.

edit: for fasting month, my diet is about the same as for lunch and dinner. Spam vegetables/and any meat. Nowadays I add a fish oil pill after breaking fast as well. Currently losing weight gradually this month, as I don't binge during breaking fast.

Last edited:

jokerk

Master Member
Reaction score
jokerk 1st August SL5x5 Training log

Warmup set
25kg 2 x 12 reps
27.5kg 1 x 10 reps
Actual 5x5
Squats - 85kg

Warmup set
25kg 2 x 12reps
27.5kg 1 x 10 reps
Actual 5x5
Bench - 75kg (5 5 5 4 3, incomplete) Will attempt again next bench training session

Warmup set
30kg 2 x 12reps
32.5kg 1 x 10reps
Actual 5x5
Barbell Rows - 45kg

I normally gym with my friend, but he is new as well to weight/resistance training.

We are slightly unsure of our form for squats and barbell rows. We've been doing this for a month lately. We have done some 'research' by viewing youtube videos and asking around.

My concern for squats is how long should I bend? Squat until, to put it crudely, pangsai position? Or as long as my thighs just go slightly below the horizontal.

Anyway, we went to Botak Jones after that for post-meal(breaking fast for me) workout. Ordered Blackpepper chicken with 2 sides of salad without dressing and ice water.

osv72c.jpg

Perhaps should have asked without the mushroom sauce as well. :s12:. Suitable for dinner?

ketua

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Squat
Deep till your tailbone starts to cave in. Else work on stretching your ham to improve.
Usually is below parallel.
You can still go lower.

Row
If you're doing SL5x5, then Pendlay row is to reset every rep, and use overhand, exact grip as your bench.

BeaRzwalken

Honorary Member
Reaction score
to me i can say you are on the right track ^^, form wise and stuff will need the regulars to give you a hand ^^.

For me i Whack hard on my training but when come to meals i just get all the needed stuff, abit of sauce here and there for me i am ok with it.

Anyway good job and keep it up, at least you are able to do rows, the barbell always hit my tummy when i do it LOL!

BeaRzwalken

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Squat
Deep till your tailbone starts to cave in. Else work on stretching your ham to improve.
You can still go lower.

Row
If you're doing SL5x5, then Pendlay row is to reset every rep, and use overhand, exact grip as your bench.

unless i open my legs wider i also cannot reach parallel, problematic for a big guy LoL

tyh1991

Reaction score
Squat
You can still go lower.

Row

was wondering which exercises will you do to help keep your legs from caving in or closing when you olympic squat.

ketua

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
was wondering which exercises will you do to help keep your legs from caving in or closing when you olympic squat.

I believe warming up with cross-band walk or band around knees walk would help to active the dormant muscles.

frostbyte88

Reaction score
You could also use a lifting belt, looped above the knees and push out against it("show your crotch" is a good queue) as you squat. You have to keep pushing against it or the belt will drop.

frostbyte88

Reaction score
My concern for squats is how long should I bend? Squat until, to put it crudely, pangsai position? Or as long as my thighs just go slightly below the horizontal.

For the style of squats you are doing, what you are doing now is alright but a bit high due to inflexibility, e.g heels starting to lift off the ground and also squishy shoes. A change of shoes into flat soled shoes would probably make for a more comfortable lift. Weightlifting shoes would be even better.

Anyway, we went to Botak Jones after that for post-meal(breaking fast for me) workout. Ordered Blackpepper chicken with 2 sides of salad without dressing and ice water.

Perhaps should have asked without the mushroom sauce as well. :s12:. Suitable for dinner?

This is fine :) Looks yummy too. You can also try Aston's Double up chicken(sauce separated of course) with 2 sides of garden veggies. $10.90. Unfortunately, not halal.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.