Lasik eye Surgery

trax06

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
attend their seminar or talk.

last time they give their patients vouchers to refer to their friends to choose shinagawa, not sure if they still give.

No have lei I didnt get any vouchers for referral.

SIL3nc3R

Reaction score
Went Shinagawa, Dr Lee did the op for me.

I paid $4,088 including meds. But i chose the most expensive laser (AMARIS) since it is 2 times faster and has the eye tracking function.

To be honest, I was quite scared throughout. Just to share my experience, once you get into the clinic, the staff will take your BP and heart rate, and of course heart rate was high.

After that they will clean your eyes by putting eye drops and then numb your eyes as well.

1st stage of op - This laser is to create a flap in your cornea. This will take 15 seconds per eye. Doc will put a ring into your eye socket there to prevent your eyelids from closing so that you can't blink. After that I felt like a suction and pressure on my eyeball which caused quite a discomfort (this is the most uncomfortable part for the entire op). After that, you look into the light and you can't blink, move your head or swallow. So just tahan 15 seconds. Repeat for the other eye. After that, go out and rest for 15 to 20 mins for air bubbles to clear

2nd stage - This is to open up the flap which was created earlier and reshape the cornea to correct your power. Since by then i had experience already, i didnt felt so scared anymore. Theatre was cold and they wrapped my legs with plastic to keep me warm. Same thing, put the ring into my eye to prevent eyelids from closing. THen u can see the doc using a brush to brush your eye (but totally numb) and then a small pincer to open up the flap. You can somehow see something like a plastic folding outwards from your eye (that's the flap i assume) but u dont fel anything. When i saw that i was freaked out but all is good.

The shaping was even faster. I think it was only 5 to 7 seconds per eye and you can smell burning smell (smells like BBQ crayfish that became burnt)

Repeat for next eye

After that, vision is blur and hazy but you can already tell that details is sharper than before. Staff will tell you to rest for 30 mins and they will explain to you what eye drops to use etc.

GO home and sleep for few hours or close your eyes at least. THe more you close your eyes, the faster the recovery.

My conclusion - Even though I was damn scared, but just tahan and be scared for that 2 hours (including waiting etc) and you get many years of convenience. It is worth it.
Thanks for sharing but reading alone already made me scared. But in the other hand I'm very much keen on the idea of waking up clear.

trax06

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing but reading alone already made me scared. But in the other hand I'm very much keen on the idea of waking up clear.

Dont worry theres really nothing to it. If you scared pain theres no pain if you have fear just relax and get excited abt waking up clear.

I was really excited and was keen to do asap thats how I had no fear.

Last edited:

trax06

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did it in around 2009, back then got voucher.

Now they gave me 80$ voucher for their optical shop.

My sis did the evaluation it was free eventho she didnt book the procedure date.
She only booked the procedure much later and was charged the fee. So technically free lor if she didnt go thru with the procedure.

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
Assessment is free. Confirm. Btw today I went back for review after 1 mth since surgery.

Left eye started to blur one week back. Can feel abit of sore feeling and was quite worried. Today's assessment still showed 6/6 but to me the details are not so sharp. I told Dr Lee who checked my eye and he said my right eye is looking good but left eye looks dry. He asked me about my sleeping position etc and I told him maybe at night I did run my eyes cos I noticed myself rubbing one night when I was half asleep.

He prescribed me another form of eye lubricant but gel based . Told me to keep putting the drops every hour for left eye, but right eye can slowly ease off. He also wanted to sell me eye protective goggles for sleeping but I declned since I got eye shield.

Otherwise it is all good. To those who wants to do for feel scared, trust me I was damn scared initially while waiting for my turn but think of the ling term benefits. Just pluck up your balls and go for it. Very most scared for 2 hours but I assure u there is NO PAIN.

NO PAIN GOt GAIN!

Tabbycat in grey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went for LASIK at national eye centre and now after after four years I have like hundred degrees and on the rise . Quite waste and angry . I sum up the causes to (1) the guy taking the eye sight test just did a shabby heck care , any how do thing. Worse than when u measure your eye sight when u make specs . He seemed to be some foreigner Indian . (2) changed job soon after my surgery and had to look through tons of excel worksheets in small print for hours after hours . (3) my lack of after care ... Bad habits are hard to change .

SIL3nc3R

Reaction score
I went for LASIK at national eye centre and now after after four years I have like hundred degrees and on the rise . Quite waste and angry . I sum up the causes to (1) the guy taking the eye sight test just did a shabby heck care , any how do thing. Worse than when u measure your eye sight when u make specs . He seemed to be some foreigner Indian . (2) changed job soon after my surgery and had to look through tons of excel worksheets in small print for hours after hours . (3) my lack of after care ... Bad habits are hard to change .
Four years and there's already degree. It's really fast.

turnbackclock

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Assessment is free. Confirm. Btw today I went back for review after 1 mth since surgery.

Left eye started to blur one week back. Can feel abit of sore feeling and was quite worried. Today's assessment still showed 6/6 but to me the details are not so sharp. I told Dr Lee who checked my eye and he said my right eye is looking good but left eye looks dry. He asked me about my sleeping position etc and I told him maybe at night I did run my eyes cos I noticed myself rubbing one night when I was half asleep.

He prescribed me another form of eye lubricant but gel based . Told me to keep putting the drops every hour for left eye, but right eye can slowly ease off. He also wanted to sell me eye protective goggles for sleeping but I declned since I got eye shield.

Otherwise it is all good. To those who wants to do for feel scared, trust me I was damn scared initially while waiting for my turn but think of the ling term benefits. Just pluck up your balls and go for it. Very most scared for 2 hours but I assure u there is NO PAIN.

NO PAIN GOt GAIN!

Thanks, think I will just go for it riao!...

SIL3nc3R

Reaction score
Found out frm shingawa Facebook page:
If anyone care there's one talk on 12 dec 7-8 pm (advances in lasik technology by dr lee )

feist_

Reaction score

that's kinda scary.. i shall be healthier from now on..

go ahead!! haha i did epilasik about 9 months ago at eagle eye. before that i thought about it for a year.. best decision ever.. and i'm the sort who has had nightmares even years after watching that scene in alias where the torture method involved pointing needles at the persons eye :<

i finally went ahead because i calculated - from now till i turn 40, the cost of lasik should be about the same or abit less than the cost of contact lens and glasses. but now that it's done, it is really worth it. i can make spontaneous decisions to stay over at people's houses, my carry-on luggage when i travel is no longer filled with crazily taped contact lens cases, i can party all night without sneaking away to the toilet to pop my lens out for a breather (very sick.. but ya those days are over).

here's my experience, i hope it helps you!:

like donald83, they put eye drops in my eye, numbed it, did all the checks. V impt to be very clear about what you're saying here, since it's more permanent than making specs.

for the op, they will robe you in a surgical gown and paint you with a brown thing (not sure what it is). then you will sit on a tiny throne (okay..chair) while you wait for the person before you to finish.

when the doctor was ready, i entered the OR and climbed onto what looked like a dentist chair. i was very creeped out by this time, because.. well it is lasers and knives. but dr theng was pretty good and efficient. he slapped what felt like a sanitary pad over my eye, then peeled it off so when I opened by eyes, i was looking into a bright light.

then he dropped numbing eyedrops, put in the clamps (to hold the eye open?) and then told me he was going to begin. he began testing gently if my eyeballs were numb. this should be scary..because what if your eyeballs aren't numb, right? but don't worry, because the drugs actually work.. very well. so well, i began giggling, and he told me to keep still. soon, he began scraping away the top layer. when this was done, i looked up at the light, which began moving and making sounds. during this entire time, the doctor should just be updating you on what's going on (like "30 seconds more..10 seconds more..") etc.

some say the op lasts 15 minutes, but it was really painless and fast on my end. when they shift the machine away, you will see a clear "eagle eye" painted on the ceiling.. not bad for marketing right?

then after that you'll go home. totally painless :) i didn't eat the painkillers they gave, despite my low tolerance for pain. (for reference, for simple wisdom tooth extraction, i requested 3 jabs of anaesthesia instead of 1)
---

perhaps what you should be fearful of, and will have little or no control over..is the morning after.

i awoke at 6am to the awful sounds of my neighbours gate crashing for a wedding... only i couldn't open my eyes. they were consumed by such a blinding itch, that i just couldn't open them. after scrabbling around in the dark for the eyedrops, and forcibly opening my eyes to drop the eyedrops, i went back to sleep. after the sun rose, i woke as well, and the AWFUL itch returned. just my luck, the light was just too bright for me to do anything, and i ended up crawling into the darkest corner of my room to seek out the tiny emergency phone number of the clinic.. and wail into the phone to complain that i couldn't open my eyes. the calm receptionist then told me that it was normal, and advised me to just put the eyedrops as scheduled.

when i was not at the clinic getting my eyes checked, i was at home wearing sunglasses in my dark bedroom, where i thankfully had blackout curtains. I only ventured out only after the sun set. At lunch, i wore a sun hat, sunglasses, and ate lunch in the shady dining room, where my family members laughed and took photos of me.... this awful experience (extreme light sensitivity, itching) continued for about a week(!!!!!), but i was very careful to follow the procedure.

at the 1 week mark, they removed the contact lens bandage, and a few days later, i was ready to return to work, where there was another issue - my eyes hadn't regained perfect vision yet. i had to beg my colleagues to install a second monitor, where i replied emails at 140% zoom for the next month.

at 1.5 months, i was still on eye drops.. and my eye pressure had begun to increase. lesson to be learnt: do NOT treat the dosage lightly. don't put more or less. If you are the kind of person who cooks by tossing "a handful of salt" into the meat, or using "a pinch of pepper". do NOT apply this theory to applying your lasik eyedrops. The bottle for the eyedrops comes with a dropper, and the size of the dosage really depends on how hard you squeeze. concerned that my squeeze was too light, i actually squeezed harder, and that (i feel) may have contributed to the high eye pressure problem. continued high eye pressure is otherwise known as glaucoma, which can cause blindness. for eyedrop-induced glaucoma, this just means your vision doesn't improve as quickly. Dr. Theng weaned me off the eyedrops though, and the issue has since (touch wood) been resolved.

9 months on, my left eye is perfect, and right eye is like..50 degrees off maybe? there really is not much of an effect. i can drive fine, and can see most things clearly with both eyes. the only problem is.. if you rub the eye a certain way, it can hurt (just like how if you rub your eyes with contacts).

also, there is very slight light sensitivity. like i can tell if it is a gloomy day out, but i still find that i am more comfortable with shades on.

thinking of doing a corrective surgery since it is complimentary.

hope this helps!

i think for normal lasik, the recovery is less painful, but i was abit concerned about the "flap". like.. there's a scar..... when i asked the clinic what would happen if the "flap" dislodged.. they said,.. just come back and we will reposition it :s11:

Unaware

Reaction score
I was thinking of going for lasik also, but can't decide where to go leh. Do you guys reckon private clinics (like the Lasik Surgery Clinic) or the SNEC would be better?

The cost to me is a bit secondary, cos eyes only got one pair, i just want to go for the best one. Thanks!

kampong boi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of going for lasik also, but can't decide where to go leh. Do you guys reckon private clinics (like the Lasik Surgery Clinic) or the SNEC would be better?

The cost to me is a bit secondary, cos eyes only got one pair, i just want to go for the best one. Thanks!

If cost is secondary I would prefer private clinics or hospitals like Mount Alvernia.

crunsik

Reaction score
anyone tried Ortho-K before? My friend suggested that i consider this rather than lasik since there is no physical alteration required. To me this method doesnt seem to be well received in our local community.

fishfingers

Reaction score

priiiiiivate.....

most ppl is go for lasik or epi-lasik nowadays? just curious.. still deciding

same price, so depends. if you wanna dive/ do combat sports, do the more painful epilasik. else, lasik gives fast recovery

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.