Is my workout routine ok?

Like Tree10Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Master Member

@galapagos

so am I right in deducing from your post that, if somebody cannot squat/deadlift 1.5x his body weight, they should just stick to a full body workout?
and the fact that you are light for your height. you'd be able to gain more muscle mass effectively using the standard beginner compound workouts (squat deadlifts benchpress ohp bbrows). you'd lose fat somewhat along the way(i know thats your long term main goal), but short term goal is to gain some muscle mass right now.
Old 15-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #17

thanks jokerk, the thing is most of exercises that I do are also compound workouts already (except some curls and flys), i just split them into 2 groups (upper and lower body) to do it on different days and alter the rep ranges a bit, make it 8 instead of 5 for hypertrophy.

I just think if I focus on one half of my body for a work out, i can work it much more, and also have more time to recover because the next workout i'd be doing the other half of my body.

that sounds logical right? i dunno, i really lack experience... hope you guys can help me understand better.

also, how do you know my long term main goal is to lose fat? no my main goal is to gain muscle as i think 12% body fat is not too bad right? of course I would like to cut it further but it doesn't bother me now.

Last edited by freddisier; 15-08-2013 at 03:39 PM..
freddisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #18

What i felt is u should not totally ditch these foundation lifts
squat, DL, bench press, OHP etc. even u have reach 1.5 BW weight.
Even those elites or advance folks are still doing these.

What u can do is beside doing these lift add in accessories along the way. Isnt it better?

I treat them like main course and desserts, do your main first then enjoy your desserts.
BradLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #19

What i felt is u should not totally ditch these foundation lifts
squat, DL, bench press, OHP etc. even u have reach 1.5 BW weight.
Even those elites or advance folks are still doing these.

What u can do is beside doing these lift add in accessories along the way. Isnt it better?

I treat them like main course and desserts, do your main first then enjoy your desserts.
yes, i know they are important, but I don't intend to ditch them. they are still all over my workout...
Old 15-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #20

I know is still there but it is the focus, for example ur program do not have bench press but incline dumbbell press. You also said u wanna focus on upper body. so u are like taking your desserts as your main, then treat your main as desserts. i know u wanna buckup your upper body as u say it cannot progress much compared to your lower body.

hmm sometimes it may not be the program that u need to change. For example if your BP stalled could it be because your technique is not correct? or sometimes ppl have phobia over certain lift. I was once phobia over squats because i had a few falls while doing it initially then i stop doing it for quite a while scared that i might fall again.

Last edited by BradLee; 15-08-2013 at 03:50 PM..
BradLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #21

I know is still there for it is the focus, for example ur program do nto have bench press but incline dumbbell press. You also said u wanna focus on upper body. so u are like taking your desserts as your main, then treat your main as desserts. i know u wanna buckup your upper body as u say it cannot progress much compared to your lower body.

hmm sometimes it may not be the program that u need to change. For example if your BP stalled could it be because your technique is not correct? or sometimes ppl have phobia over certain lift. I was once phobia over squats because i had a few falls while doing it initially then i stop doing it for quite a while scared that i might fall again.

yes I don't do bench press, cos i'm a coward. i know. I mostly work out alone and I dunno anyone, so I keep thinking that the bar would fall on my chest cos my upper body is really weak, especially on those last reps. I've just joined a private gym, so hopefully I can get somebody there, like a staff, to help me spot. So yes, I plan to try bench press very soon.

you might seem to think my main courses have become desserts, but in fact, I build that plan around those main courses.

my upper body workout focus on OVH press, barbell rows, dumbell press, just add in some curls and flys.
lower body workout focus on squats and deadlifts, just add in calf raise and leg press.
Old 15-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #22

@galapagos

so am I right in deducing from your post that, if somebody cannot squat/deadlift 1.5x his body weight, they should just stick to a full body workout?
That is not the right deduction. A person should stick to a good novice program, which is invariably a full body program with the basic compound lifts, if he is a beginner. Your stats, which include your squat/deadlift numbers, tell us that you're a beginner.
ketua likes this.

HWZ lifting Stats

iherb discount code - SIH278
galapogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #23

my workout focus on the same set of exercises as a good novice program SL5x5. does it really matter that much if I just split them it a different way?
Old 15-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

follow 5x5 SL O_o, looks like it but the key important thing is not there.... cos sl 5x5 you squat 3 times a week O_o

and for sl you will have to go super heavy ask times goes by
Old 15-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #25

yep, i get it now, it's because i don't squat enough while squat is the most important exercise in body building. is it right? thanks

Last edited by freddisier; 15-08-2013 at 04:59 PM..
Old 15-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #26

yes I don't do bench press, cos i'm a coward. i know. I mostly work out alone and I dunno anyone, so I keep thinking that the bar would fall on my chest cos my upper body is really weak, especially on those last reps. I've just joined a private gym, so hopefully I can get somebody there, like a staff, to help me spot. So yes, I plan to try bench press very soon.

you might seem to think my main courses have become desserts, but in fact, I build that plan around those main courses.

my upper body workout focus on OVH press, barbell rows, dumbell press, just add in some curls and flys.
lower body workout focus on squats and deadlifts, just add in calf raise and leg press.
I'm sorry if u feel offended. As u ask for opinion, i am just letting u know my opinion by drawing some analogy and past experiences. So all the best for your workout journey!!!
Old 15-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

yep, i get it now, it's because i don't squat enough while squat is the most important exercise in body building. is it right? thanks
let me clear it abit compound weight exercise are the ones that help a lot, single target exercise help you balance up ur body.... Bodyweight exercises help with mobility, Balance + fat burn ( HIIT)

this is how I see it, not too sure if I will get smack by the veterans here but this is how I believe it is
Old 15-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #28

I'm sorry if u feel offended. As u ask for opinion, i am just letting u know my opinion by drawing some analogy and past experiences. So all the best for your workout journey!!!
no i'm not offended. i do think that i'm such a coward for not doing bench press myself. but i just can't help it, thinking i would get seriously injured one day with that bar upon my body.

I really appreciate your comments and feedback really, cos I know I lack experience myself. Gosh, it's like crawling in the dark. I just wish I had a friend who knows this stuff well. Cos there's really a lot of question I want to ask. even really petty ones.
Old 15-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #29

If you attempt to do split or some other fancy stuff, you may end up with too much volume or risk injuring yourself by incompatibly grouping certain exercises together.

There are many more answers you can research and discover rather than just simply switching routine. SL 5x5 can make you bigger definitely. It is designed short and simple for a reason. If you find it boring, maybe you aren't trying hard enough. Your deadlift and squat shouldn't be the same weight anyway, so something is not right. Also, since you aren't bench-pressing, then you weren't following the routine at all in the first place.

So it is suffice to say, follow any novice routine template that you pick strictly and keep pushing yourself for gains. Do not try to skip certain exercises or modify it yourself.

I get stuck with the bar on my chest sometimes (unexpectedly) but generally people are nice enough to notice and help me. Obviously, just don't let the bar freefall on you. I also ask someone to spot me be it gym staff or someone nearby me when I am pushing for new PR.

Last edited by Gentooist; 15-08-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Gentooist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #30

no i'm not offended. i do think that i'm such a coward for not doing bench press myself. but i just can't help it, thinking i would get seriously injured one day with that bar upon my body.

I really appreciate your comments and feedback really, cos I know I lack experience myself. Gosh, it's like crawling in the dark. I just wish I had a friend who knows this stuff well. Cos there's really a lot of question I want to ask. even really petty ones.
I am working out alone too without any spotter. I am not really comparing but just to let u know i do BP 100 over kg alone, i am not boasting or what but just to let u know it can be done. Of course there are times when u up the weight u get worried, even till now i do. But seriously there shouldnt be having a bar droping on your chest unless u are using open grip, or some freak accident, which can even happen with spotter around. If u are careful and using close grip, the very very most u fail at last rep cannot push anymore, your palm is still below the bar and u can just lower it down. Naturally there will be ppl coming to your rescue, it happens to me a few times. Even the gym is empty, what u need to do is roll the bar to your thigh and sit up. Thats it. At times when i up the weight, i try to look for trainers or someone to spot me is because i wanna spare myself for the embaressment for having the bar stuck at my chest.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.