HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

pekipom's workout log (restarting my gym workouts)

Like Tree17Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #31

I think jogging for cardiovascular health is good. Medium intensity is best on your program. I read that HIIT would count as a workout day in SL/SS programs but not very sure about this. Might have to read more into it if you intend on including HIIT. How's your weight(muscle) gain coming along? Perhaps a weekly update would be good for tracking.
oh? I was intending to do HIIT twice a week. I'll do some research on it later... I'm doing it with the intention of cardio health as well as the fat burning effects (I forgot where I read it but I think I saw it on t-nation. way more effective than jogging)

anyway I did include my weight in the post

17/4 55.4kg
26/5 56.5kg

so about 1kg gain in muscle (mostly I suppose since I don't notice a huge gain in fats and my physique is definitely more muscular.. i.e bigger chest and more noticeable arms) i prefer to hop onto the scale once every ~2-4 weeks as the change will be more significant
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #32

updated 10 char..........
Old 02-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #33
Supremacy Member

For HIIT, u really need to listen to yr body. If u do HITT on 1 day then the next day, u don't feel 100% in yr lifts, then it's affecting yr CNS. On the other hand, if you can still improve on yr lifts then by all means carry on with HITT... Do it until u feel yr CNS is taking a hit..
gkhchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #34

For HIIT, u really need to listen to yr body. If u do HITT on 1 day then the next day, u don't feel 100% in yr lifts, then it's affecting yr CNS. On the other hand, if you can still improve on yr lifts then by all means carry on with HITT... Do it until u feel yr CNS is taking a hit..
thanks for the tips uncle chay.. do you think that starting cardio work after a long period of inactivity could also carry over to my gym days? cos I really felt like crap ytd despite having only jogged for 15min the night before..
Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #35
Supremacy Member

i never mixed running training with legs training. its one or the other. i decided to focus on running because i suck balls at running at in terms of development my quads actually don't look too shabby

not a good idea to go heavy on deadlifts as well

then again, BMT will provide you with enough running training. i have friends who went from a 15min 2.4 to a 12.20 (borderline pass) wholly thru bmt training.

you be the judge

Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #36
Master Member

Try fartleks? The intervals will break up the monotony and you won't feel so "stressed" to make it "HIIT".
I used to hate running, but after a while I realise that once start the run I will always end up enjoying it.
xerref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #37

I just googled it and it sounds pretty much the same as HIIT... or is it just a less intense form? i.e instead of going all out and sprinting you just run relatively fast?

@rocket: so what you're saying is that it's one or the other: HIIT or legs? but if I'm not wrong, sprinters can manage both pretty well because they are utilizing fast twitch muscle fibers... I know of a guy from my school's track&field who is pretty f*ckin huge and can run like the wind
Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #38
Supremacy Member

thanks for the tips uncle chay.. do you think that starting cardio work after a long period of inactivity could also carry over to my gym days? cos I really felt like crap ytd despite having only jogged for 15min the night before..
naturally lah... just like if u lay off weights, say for a couple of weeks, you'll loose some strength & muscles. Same thing for cardio, whether it's HIIT or slow cardio. Once you lay off for a period, start small & slow again.

Again this is where learning to listen to your body is very important; some ppl can train weight train 1 day & do cardio on another w/o any problems; others can't. We're all very different so if you want to do cardio but find that it eats into your strength training workouts the next day, my suggestion would be to do your strength workouts 1st, rest for a while, say 15 min or so then do your cardio work be it HIIT or slow cardio... that way, u have a full day of rest the next day...

Stimulate but don't annihilate... that's the key to progression.
gkhchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #39
Supremacy Member

sprinting is in bursts. you can't sprint a 2.4km run unless you're captain america or genetically deformed in some manner

on the plus side, sprinting does help develop the legs to an extent and builds a good base of stamina at the same time. squats do the rest: hypertrophy, strength and all. whats important is that recovery is there.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #40

updated 10char
Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #41

updated 10char
Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #42

updated 10char
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #43

updated 10char
Old 14-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #44
Master Member

lol, yea TPY is a real terror during sch hols.
There used to be a grp of teens who always throw the weights around and spout bb.com memes. Really jialat.
xerref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #45
Supremacy Member

Wat are bb.com memes?
cowed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.