Recommendations for micro weights?

Insatiable_creat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gym dumbbells at 2kg increments. Any recommendations to where I can get afforable 1kg micro weights to "stick" to the dumbbells during workout? :(

RyanCMH

Reaction score
Gym dumbbells at 2kg increments. Any recommendations to where I can get afforable 1kg micro weights to "stick" to the dumbbells during workout? :(

Sounds like you're searching for adjustable dumbbells, check out Bowflex or Power Blocks, respective links below.

https://www.lazada.sg/bowflex-selec...ml?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.1.5724543eHkikSM

This bowflex dumbbell adjustable 1kg to a certain extent, with max weight 24kg, however material not too strong compared to regular dumbbells and may damage in some exercises, you'll have to do your homework on that.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBlock-P...efinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin:3242350011

Powerblock dumbbells are good too, but their shapes might get in the way of chest presses etc.

Those 2 imo are the best in the market right now, choose according to your preference and goals ba.

Good luck! Let me know if you need any workout advice, just pm me.

Insatiable_creat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations! But I guess I didn’t phrase my question properly.. lol. What I meant is that the dumbbells in my gym are at 2kg increments. Any 1kg micro weights I can buy to stick to the weights in the gym and remove when I finished my workout?

No intention to buy a separate set at home at the moment.

galapogos

Reaction score
Sounds like you're searching for adjustable dumbbells, check out Bowflex or Power Blocks, respective links below.

Actually, no, he's looking for "afforable(sic) 1kg micro weights to "stick" to the dumbbells during workout"

2kg is pretty much the smallest dumbbell increment I've seen at gyms once you move past 10kg, but if that's not enough for you, you have a few options:

1. Play around with rep range to mitigate the higher than required increment
2. Attack 1.25kg plates to the dumbbells with minibands
3. Hold on to 1.25kg plates by inserting your 3rd/4th finger into the plate holes while holding onto the dumbbells. This probably only works for pressing exercises.
4. Buy metal chains at 五金店 and slip them onto the dumbbells with carabiners.
5. Use wrist/ankle weights and slip them onto the dumbbell or your wrists.

RyanCMH

Reaction score
My bad, misread the OP post.

Another option is to increase the eccentric portion to lengthen the muscle tension time, just enough for you to fail at 10-12 reps at max effort if you looking to build muscle and you can't handle 2kg increments for the exercises you want to do.

Can I ask what's stopping you from doing 2kg increments though? It wasn't that difficult for me to increase 2kg from time to time for most of my exercises.

Insatiable_creat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, no, he's looking for "afforable(sic) 1kg micro weights to "stick" to the dumbbells during workout"

2kg is pretty much the smallest dumbbell increment I've seen at gyms once you move past 10kg, but if that's not enough for you, you have a few options:

1. Play around with rep range to mitigate the higher than required increment
2. Attack 1.25kg plates to the dumbbells with minibands
3. Hold on to 1.25kg plates by inserting your 3rd/4th finger into the plate holes while holding onto the dumbbells. This probably only works for pressing exercises.
4. Buy metal chains at 五金店 and slip them onto the dumbbells with carabiners.
5. Use wrist/ankle weights and slip them onto the dumbbell or your wrists.

Thanks for the recommendations. :s12: 4 and 5 seems easier to manage. Will check them out.

Insatiable_creat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My bad, misread the OP post.

Another option is to increase the eccentric portion to lengthen the muscle tension time, just enough for you to fail at 10-12 reps at max effort if you looking to build muscle and you can't handle 2kg increments for the exercises you want to do.

Can I ask what's stopping you from doing 2kg increments though? It wasn't that difficult for me to increase 2kg from time to time for most of my exercises.

I usually can manage 2.5kg (smallest plate in my gym)if they are compound exercises.

Was struggling with my dumbbell bicep curls for 2kg increments though. Plenty of jerking and frustration involved :s13: So was thinking whether there's a way to increase by 1kg instead.

RyanCMH

Reaction score
I usually can manage 2.5kg (smallest plate in my gym)if they are compound exercises.

Was struggling with my dumbbell bicep curls for 2kg increments though. Plenty of jerking and frustration involved :s13: So was thinking whether there's a way to increase by 1kg instead.

Strange, you shouldn't be struggling if you trained your biceps enough. All the best though, let us know how 4 and 5 went.

soteyh

Reaction score
You might want to try decathlon. I saw quite a good range of very small weights at the chai chee branch

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.