HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

RESMED for sleep apnea? Any comments?

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #46
Supremacy Member

sorry to bump this old thread.

just came back from sleep study. need to wait 2 weeks for official result.

The nurse/technician say severe. I have difficulty sleeping with all the wires, but once i managed to doze off, i start to apnea.

UPPP sounds painful. since i'm obese, i dun think it will help alot..

in fact, obese and sleep apnea is linked rather than obese caused sleep apnea. It could be another way round, as sleep apnea disrupt your hormonal balance. That's why i notice my weight gain to be severe only this 1 yr.

Last edited by XiaoZen; 22-01-2016 at 11:23 AM..
XiaoZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #47
Shu

Hello,

If diagnosed with OSA, then the most effective form of treatment is CPAP and losing weight. Surgery is not guaranteed. There;s also a chance that with lost of weight the OSA will get better, perhaps even normal.

And you're right, obesity and OSA are linked.

So best to see the condition holistically. Unfortunately cannot be solved by taking medicine or surgery alone.

Let us know what your sleep study says. If need CPAP, it's quite straight forward, but will take time to get used to the machine. Unfortunately most ppl give up because it's uncomfortable and inconvenient, then the problem continues.

sorry to bump this old thread.

just came back from sleep study. need to wait 2 weeks for official result.

The nurse/technician say severe. I have difficulty sleeping with all the wires, but once i managed to doze off, i start to apnea.

in fact, obese and sleep apnea is linked rather than obese caused sleep apnea. It could be another way round, as sleep apnea disrupt your hormonal balance. That's why i notice my weight gain to be severe only this 1 yr.
Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #48
Supremacy Member

UPPP *is* painful. It redefined the meaning of pain for me.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst pain I could imagine; I would say the post-op UPPP pain ranged between 40 to 80 or so...

You know, how doctors always say 'this isn't going to hurt' and how much it actually hurts? Now imagine, UPPP is a surgery that doctors tell you 'this will hurt'...

The other downside I had was, I lost some sense of taste. To date, I can't tell what exactly I can't taste - all I know is my sense of taste for *some* sweet things changed significantly.

For example, now, coke tastes like water; but root beer and chocolate taste the same.

It doesn't affect everyone, and my doctor only told me about it after the fact - 'oh yes, this does affect a small percentage of patients... It might come back after a few months.' Mine never did. The upside was, I've lost a fair bit of weight after that, because food doesn't taste that great anymore, and I find myself eating much less.

IMO, it's a hit or miss. UPPP didn't work for me.
dreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #49

Hi Guys,

I recently got diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and need to get a CPAP machine. I was wondering whether it be better to get it here (for the 2-year warranty) or buy online.

I'm considering getting the new Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I was told by the local distributor that the machine requires regular maintenance or servicing that will be done by them under warranty. Is this true?

Care to share your experiences on your CPAP machines.

Thanks for the advice.
palaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #50
Shu

Hi Guys,

I recently got diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and need to get a CPAP machine. I was wondering whether it be better to get it here (for the 2-year warranty) or buy online.

I'm considering getting the new Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I was told by the local distributor that the machine requires regular maintenance or servicing that will be done by them under warranty. Is this true?

Care to share your experiences on your CPAP machines.

Thanks for the advice.
It's much cheaper to buy it online. 50% savings, if not more. Even if you have to pay for service it's still a better deal. You also don't have to service it that regularly. Google and you'll see CPAP machines are generally quite low maintenance.

I'm using the S9 Autoset. It's an older version of the Airsense 10. Cheaper, and as good. Don't need the newer features. Again, Google for reviews and make your own decision. For me, it came down to price and the quality of therapy provided. Didn't need the extra bells and whistles.

You might need to go to a local distributor to buy your mask as it's quite a personal thing. There are also several types to choose from. Best if you can try them on before you buy. Can't do that if you buy online. But again, much cheaper than buying locally.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #51
Supremacy Member

No, it isn't.

Resmed: Caring for your equipment
Makes no mention of 'regular servicing'. You do need to clean, and replace your filters regularly however, and clean your masks daily. These are regular things that you can (and must) do on your own.

Resmed: S10 Autoset clinical guide, on Page 39:
Servicing
The AirSense 10 device is intended to provide safe and reliable operation when operated in accordance with the instructions provided by ResMed. ResMed recommends that the AirSense 10 device be inspected and serviced by an authorized ResMed Service Centre if there is any sign of wear or concern with device function. Otherwise, service and inspection of the products generally should not be required during their design life.

This 'regular servicing' is something that only happens here, and I see it as a way to discourage people from parallel imports (for much, much cheaper)...

The main thing to be aware of is the lack of warranty, and in the event there is an issue, you may need to ship your unit back - even then, at 50%++ savings, you could buy a second unit, and still be ahead of buying it locally.

Last edited by dreant; 01-03-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Old 01-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #52
Banned

Hello,

If diagnosed with OSA, then the most effective form of treatment is CPAP and losing weight. Surgery is not guaranteed. There;s also a chance that with lost of weight the OSA will get better, perhaps even normal.

And you're right, obesity and OSA are linked.

So best to see the condition holistically. Unfortunately cannot be solved by taking medicine or surgery alone.

Let us know what your sleep study says. If need CPAP, it's quite straight forward, but will take time to get used to the machine. Unfortunately most ppl give up because it's uncomfortable and inconvenient, then the problem continues.
I was overweight ( BMI 28 ) when I see dr for snoring and dr actually asked me went to do a sleep test. Since the sleep test takes time to organized , about a month.

I was already on an LCHF diet. Before my test, my BMI was 24.6 and my sleep apnea is very mild. Dr told me a lot of methods ( operation, special sleep pillow , machine etc ) and I asked her what would she recommend. She said maintain my condition and come back for a follow up.

Now my BMI is 24 and I hope that it will improve even further.

So, seriously go for a diet. It helps your back too.
derazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #53

Thanks Shu and dreant for the advice. You guys have been very helpful.

I just placed an order at 1800cpap and will follow Shu's detailed instructions on the next steps. I ordered the the AirSense 10 and two masks (Philips wisp mask which comes in all sizes and Airfit F10). I forgot to order extra air filters though.
palaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #54
Supremacy Member

I forgot to order extra air filters though.
You can get replacement filters very easily on Ebay.
Old 28-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #55
Arch-Supremacy Member

anybody try wearing an oxygen mask instead of using CPAP?
matrix05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #56
Supremacy Member

anybody try wearing an oxygen mask instead of using CPAP?
Oxygen Therapy?

A quick google search led me to this page:
A total of 318 patients with sleep apnea and risk factors for heart disease were enrolled in the study and followed for 3 months. CPAP performed significantly better than either control or supplemental oxygen in terms of reducing blood pressure levels. The effect of CPAP on blood pressure was greatest at night, the time when sleep apnea often prevents the expected fall in blood pressure. Moreover, the decrease in blood pressure was seen despite generally well-controlled blood pressure measured during routine clinic visits.
It makes perfect sense. Simply using O2 without CPAP won't work. The patient is still having events which won't allow the O2 into the airway. There are however many patients with severe OSA that are on 02 with CPAP to bring their oxygen saturation up to a safe level.

You will find a number of CPAP equipment sites also carry oxygen concentrators; but I believe they are intended to be used as supplemental to CPAP therapy (and not a replacement of), and I am to understand they are sometimes needed for patients with lung disease or 'hypoventilation' disorders.
Old 17-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #57

Advice on machine and spares

Hi

I have done sleep test and have tried on a trial unit few years back.

I have bough the ResMed mask during the trial and just check it is still in good working conduction.

I didn't buy the machine after trial was due the the high price.

Thanks for the link above to 1800CPAP, i think the price is very reasonable as compare to local market.

I would like to seek advice besides getting the machine, may I know what are the spares that I need to buy along with please?

I am looking at RedMax 10 Autoset for now and still assessing. Appreciate user advise before I commit on the purchase please.

Many thanks in advance.
Heaven100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #58
Shu

No need to buy spares in advance. I didn't

I bought 2nd hand S9 from 1800CPAP. Price was a few hundred US dollars cheaper. It arrived looking like a brand new set. Came with case, everything was bagged, even smelt new! Internal clock showed very low usage.

Some say S9 is better than S10 because it's cheaper. Essential functions are the same. Or the S10 new features are not that useful.

I have no complaints with S9. Does the job.

Hi

I have done sleep test and have tried on a trial unit few years back.

I have bough the ResMed mask during the trial and just check it is still in good working conduction.

I didn't buy the machine after trial was due the the high price.

Thanks for the link above to 1800CPAP, i think the price is very reasonable as compare to local market.

I would like to seek advice besides getting the machine, may I know what are the spares that I need to buy along with please?

I am looking at RedMax 10 Autoset for now and still assessing. Appreciate user advise before I commit on the purchase please.

Many thanks in advance.
Heaven100 likes this.
Old 17-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #59

Thanks Shu

I notice there are many model for S9, e.g., Elite, Autoset, VPAP, Escape,...
may I know how can I decide which model is suitable.

Appreciate further advice if possible please.

Thanks.

No need to buy spares in advance. I didn't

I bought 2nd hand S9 from 1800CPAP. Price was a few hundred US dollars cheaper. It arrived looking like a brand new set. Came with case, everything was bagged, even smelt new! Internal clock showed very low usage.

Some say S9 is better than S10 because it's cheaper. Essential functions are the same. Or the S10 new features are not that useful.

I have no complaints with S9. Does the job.
Heaven100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #60
Supremacy Member

I notice there are many model for S9, e.g., Elite, Autoset, VPAP, Escape,...
may I know how can I decide which model is suitable.

Appreciate further advice if possible please.
You want an Auto-CPAP machine, so either get the S9 Autoset, or the S9 Elite Auto. You can make a comparison of their difference here.

I would recommend the Autoset.

The VPAP is a bilevel machine. Your doctor may prescribe you one if you are not able to to use an Auto-CPAP.

Things to buy:
Replacement filters (I typically replace one every 2-3 months)
Extra tube (they do break/tear eventually)
Maybe a second mask or two - I usually switch masks ever so now and then. In the last month, I've been on the Swift FX; but sometimes I switch to a Quatro (full-face). If you're down with the flu, and your nose is congested, you'll need a full face mask because pillows/nasal masks won't work.
Heaven100 likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.