soteyh's worklog

galapogos

Reaction score
You can consciously will yourself to push the knees out in a high bar squat as well. I personally feel high bar squats are more beneficial, especially if you already do pulls.

soteyh

Reaction score
You can consciously will yourself to push the knees out in a high bar squat as well. I personally feel high bar squats are more beneficial, especially if you already do pulls.

Thanks - I'll practice more on the low bar for now, since feels new to me, and maybe switch back to high bar in the future. I also want to put more emphasis on glutes and hamstring rather than quads for now, I think they are lagging for me.

What are the additional benefits ? Larger ROM? Less strain on back ?

soteyh

Reaction score
10 Jul:

Squat - 62.8 kg 5x5
OHP - 24.6 kg 5x5
Deadlift - 30 kg 1x5, 50 kg 1x5, 60 kg 1x5, 70 kg 1x5

Wide grip BW Pullup, 2x4

Miscalculated weight on the DL, but what the heck. Good lift and can feel the lower back, especially since already fatigued by the squats. Did low bar again on the squats, concentrating on the hip drive.

soteyh

Reaction score
12 Jul:

Squat - 65.2 kg 5x5
Bench - 51.6 kg 5x5
Rows - 40 kg 5x5

BW Dips 6, 5

The eternal debate on Pendlay rows vs yates rows : frankly, I have been struggling with the Pendlay rows for the past few sessions, and was beginning to feel some lower back strain, even at the low weight. Yesterday, I googled some more tips on Pendlay technique in preparation for today.

- It is actually quite hard to keep the back isolated and not let the hips jerk up to assist the row. The whole stance is like a deadlift, so I find my hips unconsciously helping at the end of the movement. I have to concentrate on both immobilising the hips and leading with the elbows.
- The neck position does not help as to maintain neutral, i have to look forward at the floor, and not into the mirror. Its very difficult to get a grasp of form without the mirror.
- Its easier to do this with an explosive motion, rather than slowly. And the return to floor is quite a clever move, because it immediately relieves the lower back of tension (so that there is no more temptation to lift with the back) and relaxes the arms. I find it essential to place it back on the floor, although this is actually very difficult to do at a lower weight.

I was about to give up on the Pendlay rows if this session did not go well. This exercise is actually a lot tougher than it looks on the videos. However, I think I am slowly getting the hang of it, and I can feel the lats "flaring" a few times. My form is definitely not perfect yet, but I think I am a believer again :s13:

soteyh

Reaction score
15 Jul:

Squat - 67.4 kg 5x5
OHP - 26.8 kg 5x5
Deadlift - 30 kg 1x5, 50 kg 1x5, 60 kg 1x5, 70 kg 1x5, 75 kg 1x5

Wide grip BW Pullup, 5, 4

soteyh

Reaction score
17 Jul:

Squat - 69.8 kg 5x5
Bench - 53.8 kg 5x5
Rows - 43 kg 5x5

BW Dips 7

Had to wait very long to do the rows, so no time to do any more dips.

Form on the Pendlay rows was very off for the first set - bar was uneven and the weight felt very heavy. After correcting the form and concentrating, it began to feel alot better. Weight was alot more manageable and I can feel some "pump" in the back.

I am very surprised that this exercise works the lats quite a bit - I thought it was mainly a upper mid back exercise. I am keeping my arms width about the same width as bench press - so maybe this is the reason.

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
Do you pull towards your collarbone or sternum? I realised the rows that go to the sternum can go higher, working the back more, with elbows closer to the body compared further away. Doing pendlay rows in gym gets u funny looks.

soteyh

Reaction score
Do you pull towards your collarbone or sternum? I realised the rows that go to the sternum can go higher, working the back more, with elbows closer to the body compared further away. Doing pendlay rows in gym gets u funny looks.

I pull closer to the sternum, I tend to pull toward sternum/stomach area rather than collarbone. Funny looks definitely, but I guess its karma .... I have to admit I was guilty of giving the funny looks before I knew what a Pendlay was! :s13:

soteyh

Reaction score
19 Jul:

Squat - 72 kg 5x5
OHP - 29 kg 5x5
Deadlift - 30 kg 1x5, 50 kg 1x5, 70 kg 1x5, 80 kg 1x5

Wide grip BW Pullup, 5

Minor achievement unlocked : Pulled 1xBW on Deadlift

Foam rolling on the quads to help the aches - I was wondering why so painful, then I realised keys still in the pockets :eek:

soteyh

Reaction score
22 Jul:

Squat - 74.2 kg 5x5
Bench - 56 kg 5x5
Rows - 45 kg 5x5

BW Dips 8, 7

Question - anyone can share what kind of weight standard should I be tracking for Pendlay Rows? As in, should the weight for Pendlay be about that of the bench press? I am guessing this is the case, since they are almost opposite exercises.

Cold Storage was having 1-for-1 BBQ chick steak. Whack for lunch!! :s13:

hiei02

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes the benchmark is almost similar to bench press. I would say one will row a little heavier than he can bench. (at least for my case)

BradLee

Reaction score
22 Jul:

Squat - 74.2 kg 5x5
Bench - 56 kg 5x5
Rows - 45 kg 5x5

BW Dips 8, 7

Question - anyone can share what kind of weight standard should I be tracking for Pendlay Rows? As in, should the weight for Pendlay be about that of the bench press? I am guessing this is the case, since they are almost opposite exercises.

Cold Storage was having 1-for-1 BBQ chick steak. Whack for lunch!! :s13:
Saw that cold storage promo too!!!:):s12:

soteyh

Reaction score
23 Jul

No lunch kakis for today, so I dropped by the gym to do some HIIT. 3 cycles on the bike and 3 cycles on the rowing machine.

Followed up with foam rolling and Cold Storage chicken steak!

soteyh

Reaction score
24 Jul:

Squat - 76.4 kg 5x5
OHP - 31.2 kg 5x5
Deadlift - 30 kg 1x5, 50 kg 1x5, 70 kg 1x5, 80 kg 1x5 85 1x5

Sianz - scrapped my shin again on the DL.

hiei02

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
curious, how come your weights are non-standard? e.g 31.2kg OHP

soteyh

Reaction score
26 Jul:

Squat - 78.8 kg 5x5
Bench - 60.6 kg 5x5
Rows - 50 kg 5x5

Didn't get enough sleep so it was a tough workout. I think I slipped form on the pendlays's have to watch that I dont use my lower back as the weight gets heavier.

Meanwhile - I got a cheap thrill when I saw this newly posted article on T Nation

T NATION | Interval Training on the Rowing Ergometer

That's exactly what I was doing for cardio on Tuesday! *Validation*

soteyh

Reaction score
Still funny weights tho..

1kg = 2.2046 lb ??

78.8 kg would be like 173.72248 lbs?

Due to rounding. I use the direct translation on the plates because I am lazy, so its multiple rounding issues.

E.g Today I used on each side:
2x25 lbs (11.3 kg on the plate ) = 22.6 kg
1x10lbs (4.5 kg ) = 4.5 kg
1x5lbs (2.3kg) = 2.3 kg

Total = 20 (bar) + 2x(22.6 + 4.5 + 2.3) = 78.8

Metalsubzero

Reaction score
Ok, dat explains.. Haha.. But wouldn't it be better if u added all the weights in pounds and multiply the figure 2.2? Just saying.. But well, it's ur own preference at the end of the day.. =)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.