HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

STP Training Log

Like Tree7Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #16

Whatever weight training program u r on doesn't matter . Find a program n stick to it. Concentrate on the diet, that is usually the hardest part. the crossover to low carb diet is killing for some with all the temptations out there.
cwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #17

I would be inclined to agree with ketua on sticking to the program. I'm not saying that other programs won't work(or won't work better). I just find it logical to build up a solid strength base before proceeding on to other things. SL or SS gives you an easy to follow set of exercises to be done 3x a week. Period.

Weight/fat loss would primarily be controlled by diet. That being said, it is much easier to go on a calorie deficit to lose weight rather than to lose weight via training. Since you are just starting out, i doubt your rest periods need to be long to complete the next set.

When it comes down to it, training is something you should want to incorporate into your lifestyle. Not something you want to do for a few months and stop for whatever reason.

You can follow any routine and lose weight from it because you're actually doing something(instead of sitting in front of the tv)-same for diet. It's a matter of how much you put into it and for how long. Again, in my personal opinion, you should stick to your current workout for a few months before changing.
frostbyte88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #18
Supremacy Member

I'm inclined to suggest German Body Composition since Fat Loss in your goal. A total body recomposition is possible as well.

Check out my thread on Programs (it's one of the stickies) and look for GBC. Details are all there. No need to pay.

SL/SS is a great template, but as Uncle Chay said, it's not the best for fat loss. Great for building foundation though.
sazuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #19
Supremacy Member

While many roads lead to Rome, let me elaborate why I subjectively think that TS is best to continue with SL5x5, instead of fat-loss focused program (as suggested by uncle Chay), and GBC by Sazuro.

TS goal is to reduce belly and 'tone up'.
His pic looks bad with belly. But looking at his full body in the 2 videos, TS is actually not really that FAT. Just a typical skinny-fat physique.

Hence I think, by doing training with a good share/balance of strength/hypertrophy/fat-loss, would be good to build up TS to a nice body.

Also, from the sprinting that TS is currently doing, TS already has some fitness level to engage in strength training.

But TS is obviously new to the iron game, and hence still struggling with forms of even the basics lifts (squat, deadlift). And I believe his other lifts have rooms for improvement too.

Therefore, GBC may not be suitable for TS, as it involves too many different lifts.

Just my 2cents.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Supremacy Member

Ketua - u got a point there re TS being a newbie & is still struggling with learning the lifts..

I'm not against SS/SL except that my personal experience tells me that most strength programs are geared much more for mass gains rather than fatloss.

That being the case, I would recommend that TS:

1. Continues with SS/SL BUT after every session do tabata complexes or any other metabolic work or HIIT eg sprints/jogs, burpees, stairs sprints etc..

OR

2. Drops SL/SS & get onto a proven bodybuilding program for beginners eg Body for Life (not free) or fat-loss program eg Turbulence Training (not free). Once he has shed the fat, he can go on a clean bulk-up & strength program: this is where SS/SL comes in very handy.

OR

3. If TS have the means & can afford it, get a good & experienced coach: this would be the MOST IDEAL & with a customized program & diet, he'll definitely lose fat, gain muscles & strength at the same time. His learning curve will be also definitely v much faster than the 1st 2 approaches.

Up to TS to decide now...
ketua likes this.
gkhchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #21

There are people who successfully loss weight and gain muscles following SL. There are also examples of hardgainers who managed to bulk using SL.
StrongLifts 5x5 Results: Before/After Pictures and Videos | StrongLifts.com

If they are all following SL routine, the only reason why their results differ must be the diet and i am a strong advocate of fixing the diet first.
While doing everything together will get the best results, some people will fare better if they fix one thing at a time. Most people never stick to something long enough to fix anything.
ketua likes this.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #22

Get your diet in order. Aim for a caloric deficit, learn the proper form for all your lifts, and the results will naturally show.
JamyJamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
Supremacy Member

There are people who successfully loss weight and gain muscles following SL. There are also examples of hardgainers who managed to bulk using SL.
StrongLifts 5x5 Results: Before/After Pictures and Videos | StrongLifts.com

If they are all following SL routine, the only reason why their results differ must be the diet and i am a strong advocate of fixing the diet first.
While doing everything together will get the best results, some people will fare better if they fix one thing at a time. Most people never stick to something long enough to fix anything.
Sure, diet is the 1st thing to fix, I'm certainly for that but re training per se for fatloss, then I must say that metabolic workouts and/or bodybuilding type programs are by far more effective... like I mentioned before, strength programs do have some effect on fatloss but if you look at the before & after photos of say folks who did the Body for Life program (which is very BB based: I have the program) you'll see the dramatic differences:

Body-for-LIFE Success Stories

So like I said, it's up to TS to decide for himself...
Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #24

Sure, diet is the 1st thing to fix, I'm certainly for that but re training per se for fatloss, then I must say that metabolic workouts and/or bodybuilding type programs are by far more effective... like I mentioned before, strength programs do have some effect on fatloss but if you look at the before & after photos of say folks who did the Body for Life program (which is very BB based: I have the program) you'll see the dramatic differences:

Haha, the amount of shine on some of the after pictures are killing my eyes.

I would say some are quite comparable to the ones seen on leangains which advocates SL/SS. Client Update | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

TS may even include the Intermittent Fasting lifestyle into a bodybuilding routine since you need to lose weight.

Both still requires a lifestyle change and diet change. Like you said, there are multiple ways to get the results. It's up to the TS to follow which is better suited for him.

To TS, go for it and im looking forward to see your results in a few months, whichever method you choose!

Last edited by frostbyte88; 08-05-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #25

Wow, i havent seen that for a long time.
the book is still on my table though haha!
bill phillips, the father of the modern transformation.
or at least the guy who gave his lambo away..
jjl.bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #26

Thank you everyonew for their feedback.

My diet for the day08 May 2012.

9am Oatmeal with kiwi

12 pm one banana

2 pm one banana

4 pm yong tau hu beehoo soup (4 vege, 1 tofu, 1 fried dumpling, cant remember the last item I pick)

5 - 9pm about 10 almond nuts

930 pm one tomato

12 pm 1 bowl of beef beehoo soup

The only exercise I did was 15 min of walking frm home to MRT station. I start work at about 10.30am, officially end at 9 pm, 2-3 hours of OT reach home about 12am. I work 2 days follow by 2 days off.
stp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #27
Supremacy Member

Y U NO EAT LOTS OF MEAT?

Basically, where are your protein intakes?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #28

Thank you everyonew for their feedback.

My diet for the day08 May 2012.

9am Oatmeal with kiwi

12 pm one banana

2 pm one banana

4 pm yong tau hu beehoo soup (4 vege, 1 tofu, 1 fried dumpling, cant remember the last item I pick)

5 - 9pm about 10 almond nuts

930 pm one tomato

12 pm 1 bowl of beef beehoo soup

The only exercise I did was 15 min of walking frm home to MRT station. I start work at about 10.30am, officially end at 9 pm, 2-3 hours of OT reach home about 12am. I work 2 days follow by 2 days off.
Lol... Your diet is a problem... please fix... and do note to NOT follow the normal food pyramid, else you will stay the way you are... as a rough guage, you need to up your protein by around... 700-1000%(depending on how much beef they give in your beef bee hoon soup which i would say not much), though it's good you are eating plenty of fruits/veg

Last edited by frostbyte88; 09-05-2012 at 04:08 AM..
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
Supremacy Member

TS, yr diet needs a total change fast if u want to loose fat. Let me give u an example:

BF - Fruits or Oats, 4 eggs.

Morning snack - raw nuts

Lunch - Fish Soup, Chicken fr chicken rice stall or Duck fr duck rice stall. Extra cucumber. NO RICE, BEEHOON, KWAY TEOW - IN SHORT, NO STARCHES AT ALL.

Afternoon snack - raw nuts

Dinner - Fish, beef, seafood or any kind of fresh meat, vegetables. NO STARCHES AT ALL.

Supper - 3 eggs

Remember yr carbs can only come in the form of vegetables & fruits. Only oats are allowed for BF.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #30

Eh, you skipped this diet part about the StrongLift program

The StrongLifts Diet: 8 Simple Nutrition Rules | StrongLifts.com

And post workout does not include walking.

Your total carbs for the day
2 bananas = 27g x 2 = 54g
100g of oatmeal = 73g
1x yong tau hu bee hoon soup = 70g (estimate)
1x tomato = 10g
1x bowl of beehoon soup = 30g
10x almond nuts .... Camel or Tong Garden? If Tong Garden variety, will have lots of crap inside.

Your total carb for the day = 237g
Your diet in terms of carb:protein:fats = 80:15:5

I am not suggesting u calc your carb intake everyday.
But u have to be aware what are heavy carb food stuff.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.