Suffer Insomnia

AppleTree17

Reaction score
Cut done on caffeine
Exercise
Cup of Chamomile before sleep

Agree, this is a better and more holistic way to counter insomnia.

Melatonin taken at a high dose may not mean it will induce deeper sleep, try a lower dose at 1mg it may work better.

Medications have several side effects, so do your research carefully before you decide to take these.

Last edited:

trader789

Reaction score
I suffer from Insonmia quite suddenly too last 2 year but ok now..my lifestyle or diet didnt change so i am stress out when suddenly cant sleep. Went TCM. Exercise? In fact i cut down exercise like sports and do low activities.. stay away fried food and eat light. Dinner kept to minimum. Do breathing exercise few mins before sleep..on 92.4fm...do stretching exercise..bit the fear of not able to sleep creeps in every night..lucky my office time allows me to take a nap else think i will suffer heart attack. Sometimes wake up after dooze off and get heart papitation..also i lower my aircon 1 degree colder..am still not completely cure but now i understand my body better..hard exercise strenous type...heavy dinner..and stress from work or family or worrying about something will get me into some insonmia..i still take 2 cup of kopiO daily one in morning and one by 4pm..any junk food i will take during lunch time..last time i also take muscle relaxing pills given by doctor..yes make me tired and sleep..but next day feel tired..not the same as natural sleep..

Last edited:

wts684

Reaction score
Think I'm coming back insomnia club tonight again after 15 days doctor prescribed Melatonnin.

Slept less than half hour and wake up. Feeling dizzy but my mind control me not to sleep.

Not sure why I suffer again after 15 days, even more exercises daily.

Could be I ate fried food at afternoon???

wts684

Reaction score
Agree, this is a better and more holistic way to counter insomnia.

Melatonin taken at a high dose may not mean it will induce deeper sleep, try a lower dose at 1mg it may work better.

Medications have several side effects, so do your research carefully before you decide to take these.

The doctor said Melatonin has no side effects, you sure the sentence is true?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
melatonin is more for travellers who experience jetlag often.. melatonin is produced by your body to regulate your body clock so it's just sold as a supplement and not considered a medicine.

it is available OTC without prescription. I used to buy them from iherb in 5mg strength but it's no use.

currently 50mg hydroxyzine + 10 - 15mg is the only combo that can knock me out.

previously on lorazepam but the sleep inducing feel is very short lasting.. even after my doctor raised the dosage from 0.5mg to 1mg.. as long as I manage to fight pass the short drowsy period, the effect will more or less disappear totally.

Sent from the toilet using GAGT

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think I'm coming back insomnia club tonight again after 15 days doctor prescribed Melatonnin.

Slept less than half hour and wake up. Feeling dizzy but my mind control me not to sleep.

Not sure why I suffer again after 15 days, even more exercises daily.

Could be I ate fried food at afternoon???
try to consult your doctor if you are suitable to take hydroxyzine (atarax) instead. it is a type of antihistamine usually used for treatment of allergy.. but psychiatrist often prescribe this for relieve of anxiety and insonmia which initially worked quite well for me.. psychiatrist preferred prescribing this in place of benzodiazepines like lorazepam xanax or diazepam as it is not habit forming and addictive as benzos.

but sadly for me the hydroxyzine didn't help me for too long and I had to go the benzo route.

melatonin is totally useless from people who suffers from clinically diagnosed insonmia.

wts684

Reaction score
https://vanwinkles.com/the-dark-side-downsides-side-effects-of-melatonin[/url][/QUOTE]

Really scary but what else can solve insomnia pain?

wts684

Reaction score
I still can't sleep at night but often slept in morning or afternoon (may be 1-2 hrs respectively), but this is really affected my daily activities.

So if my current medicine melatonin and mirtazapine are no longer help, shd i go to lorazepam?

Now i really very stressful when the night is coming. Try to sleep but my brain not cooperate even taking medicine.

When is the best timing to take medicine before sleep? half hr before sleep?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I still can't sleep at night but often slept in morning or afternoon (may be 1-2 hrs respectively), but this is really affected my daily activities.

So if my current medicine melatonin and mirtazapine are no longer help, shd i go to lorazepam?

Now i really very stressful when the night is coming. Try to sleep but my brain not cooperate even taking medicine.

I'm prescribed mirtazapine for depression and not insonmia so I can't say for your case..

but take the benzodiazepine route as your last resort.. seek opinions from your doctor about hydroxyzine first.. benzodiazepine addiction is very real and addicts often describs it's withdrawal symptoms is worse than that of a heroin withdrawal.

AppleTree17

Reaction score

Lorazepam (a type of benzodiazepines) is not meant for long term usage. The body gets addicted after about 8 weeks of regular use. Then, you will have more problems added to your insomnia. To kick off the addiction is not easy. To me, Lorazepam is just a type of tranquilizers, for temporary relief only yet addictive. Do google and read up more before you embark on such potent drugs.

You may consider getting more info from:
http://survivingantidepressants.org/
There are a lot of info under the Symptoms and Care which you can consider.

Take Care!

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have been prescribed with lorazepam for slightly more then 6 months now... it's helpful when I get panic or anxiety attacks because it's fast but short acting, but it doesn't really help me much in the sleep area.. I can go for 4-5 days with no sleep despite taking lorazepam and mirtazapine at night..

to me.. psychiatric drugs reacts differently for everyone.. so what happened to me may not be the same for you.. if current medications doesn't work, tell your doctor and try another one..

I was initially taking fluoxetine (Prozac) every morning but this antidepressant made me even more suicidal.. to the extend that I took one month supply of antidepressants and sleeping pills at one go.. end up almost stop breathing and had to stay in hospital to clean my blood with the antidote..

after that incident my morning antidepressant was changed to vortioxetine (brintellix) which worked much better. but downside is the high cost of it.. at night still need to depend on diazepam to help me sleep.. as I'm typing this now.. it's already my 3rd day without sleep :s13:

paulkee87

Reaction score
All medications have potential risks, including the risks of dependency. Some sleep aids can help relieve insomnia symptoms temporarily. They can't cure insomnia. Resolving underlying health issues and addressing your sleep environment is often the best approach to insomnia.

trader789

Reaction score
Try a good TCM doctor...if you are sure external factors like money and love is not a worried factor.

paulkee87

Reaction score
I not sure if I could help you, but if you don't mind getting some suggestions you could pm me with your mobile no. and I will get back to you once I saw your message.

trader789

Reaction score
Any recommendation you have?

I consulted Ms Lim at Adelphi. She wrote many articles before. Si gaporean. BUT had to warn you her price is not cheap. She will not only treat you but will always give your harsh advice. No TCM can fully treat you in 1 treatment. Have to go many times so that the doc can know how you progress..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.