HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Thinning Hair problem

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #31
Banned

Wow!!! quite a number of hairloss expert here. maybe can start a hairloss club for man. hehe.

rECKleSSfElla gave a lot of good advice. just to add on a few.

1) Propecia (finasteride 1mg)

get proscar to save cost. you can cut it into 5parts. proscar is the same drug as propecia but come in 5mg version. so divide it into 5parts give you the same dosage as propecia yet you can save a lot of money.

early dosage test show that 0.2mg work almost as well as 1mg. 1mg reduce only 7.3% more DHT on scalp. so if you want to try it out, 0.5mg might be a good start. it take about 1year to know whether your treatment is working. do it at your own risk.

2) Minoxidil.

the cheapest 5percent version i found in singapore is minoxi5. it cost $57.75 for 80ml.

2% version work about 77percent as well 5% version in long term. it take longer to show it effect so be patient.

3) Shampoo

get a good anti-inflammation shampoo. inflammation of the scalp could increase your hairloss. you can try shampoo like nizoral 1percent or 2percent. use it 3times per week. it cost about $21 for 100ml and using it at this rate can last you very long. some study have found that nizoral 1percent and 2percent reduce hairloss like minoxidil 2%.
other shampoo that proven to help reduce inflammation contain coal tar, salicylic acid, head and shoulder etc.

no single treatment work well by itself unless you are the lucky one. start with proven treatment and if it does not help, add other treatment that is not proven. not proven does not mean it does not work. just that it is not tested and appove by FDA. so do some research and you might be lucky. your best bet is to start with a combo of propecia, minoxidil and nizoral.

just take things easy and don't be too bother by hair loss.

what i read about biolyn is that most likely it is another snake oil. certain users review have been bad and they refuse to disclose the active components of the product. no test have been done on the product to prove that it work. therefore, give this product a miss.
Isopropyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #32
Supremacy Member

Wow!!! quite a number of hairloss expert here. maybe can start a hairloss club for man. hehe.

rECKleSSfElla gave a lot of good advice. just to add on a few.

1) Propecia (finasteride 1mg)

get proscar to save cost. you can cut it into 5parts. proscar is the same drug as propecia but come in 5mg version. so divide it into 5parts give you the same dosage as propecia yet you can save a lot of money.

early dosage test show that 0.2mg work almost as well as 1mg. 1mg reduce only 7.3% more DHT on scalp. so if you want to try it out, 0.5mg might be a good start. it take about 1year to know whether your treatment is working. do it at your own risk.

2) Minoxidil.

the cheapest 5percent version i found in singapore is minoxi5. it cost $57.75 for 80ml.

2% version work about 77percent as well 5% version in long term. it take longer to show it effect so be patient.

3) Shampoo

get a good anti-inflammation shampoo. inflammation of the scalp could increase your hairloss. you can try shampoo like nizoral 1percent or 2percent. use it 3times per week. it cost about $21 for 100ml and using it at this rate can last you very long. some study have found that nizoral 1percent and 2percent reduce hairloss like minoxidil 2%.
other shampoo that proven to help reduce inflammation contain coal tar, salicylic acid, head and shoulder etc.

no single treatment work well by itself unless you are the lucky one. start with proven treatment and if it does not help, add other treatment that is not proven. not proven does not mean it does not work. just that it is not tested and appove by FDA. so do some research and you might be lucky. your best bet is to start with a combo of propecia, minoxidil and nizoral.

just take things easy and don't be too bother by hair loss.

what i read about biolyn is that most likely it is another snake oil. certain users review have been bad and they refuse to disclose the active components of the product. no test have been done on the product to prove that it work. therefore, give this product a miss.

just to add on abit, nizoral 1% shampoo is available in Guardian Pharmacy while i think u need a prescription for the 2% version. Btw Isopropyl where can u get the minox 5% for $57.75. I m on my 2nd bottle of Growell n i intend to get generic versions of minox 5% over the net subsequently.
rECKleSSfElla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #33
Banned

just to add on abit, nizoral 1% shampoo is available in Guardian Pharmacy while i think u need a prescription for the 2% version. Btw Isopropyl where can u get the minox 5% for $57.75. I m on my 2nd bottle of Growell n i intend to get generic versions of minox 5% over the net subsequently.
some Guardian carry minoxi5. i got mine from causeway point. do a little search. it should be easy to find. it come in a black box, normally place beside all the minoxidil products. i am also thinking of getting it online. it dirt cheap but getting it in singapore ensure that you are getting the real thing.

to get nizoral 2percent, you just need to ask the pharmacy for it. they will just take down your name and contact and that about it. it cost about $3 more than the 1% version so it kind of worth it. i find that it work better to reduce the itch that i got from using minoxidil. NTUC pharmacy selling about $1 cheaper than Guardian.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:28 PM   #34

I ordered mino online which costs me 4 mths for $80 . It's kirkland brand. I have used this product for 4mths. I stopped now coz the itch really killing me. It cause me lose more hair than gaining back. I on propecia now.

I intend to go for hair transplant. Any1 know wat's the rate? will I still suffer frm MPB after hair transplant?
Asymtope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #35

We all know finasteride works to some extent. I also recommend washing hair at least once daily. Oily scalp=increased hair loss. Chinese Medicine theory states oily scalp as overly Yang. Scalp become Oily due to excessive action of DHT on the hair follicles. The genetic component of MBP is likely to be the difference in sensitivity of hair follicles to DHT. Dietary influence could be linked to lousy blood flow. In Chinese medicine theory, blood nourished the follicles. When you consumed too much sodium in the form of MSG or sodium chloride, somehow your scalp become inflammed, itchy and more hair fall off. Western medicine on hair loss focus on DHT most of the time. In order to boost blood to nourished the follicles, one can do aerobics exercise once every day, take meal that are low in sodium and probably phosphorous, saturated fat, reduce cereal intake esp. the refined ones, increase fruits and veg intake. All these will improve blood circulation. If one is adventurous enough, one can even try head stand and do yoga to relax the body which will further improved blood circulation. For Proscar try buying from Malaysia states further away from Singapore, last time I got them at SGD$70 per 30 tabs.
ultimatesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:48 AM   #36
Banned

Proscar try buying from Malaysia states further away from Singapore, last time I got them at SGD$70 per 30 tabs.
any idea how much is proscar in spore and jb?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #37

any idea how much is proscar in spore and jb?
In Sing is about $125 per 30 tabs. Some places sell at $130. That is without the fee for Doc's consultation. You do need doc's prescription to buy in Sing. In Malaysia other than in JB (cos they are Singapore owned pharmacy, I believe they are willing to sell without precription.

Last edited by ultimatesg; 10-12-2005 at 11:25 PM..
Old 08-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #38

wat shampoo are u all using?

I use Head & shoulder sensitive scalp shampoo and Nizoral 3 times weekly.

After washing with Head & shoulder or Nizoral, my scalp will have few little bumps which is quite painful
Old 08-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #39

In Sing is about $125 per 30 tabs. Some places sell at $130. That is without Doc's consultation. You do need docs prescription to buy in Sing. In Malaysia other than in JB (cos they are Singapore owned pharmacy, I believe they are willing to sell without precription.
ultimatesg, do u find improvement in ur hair growth?

I read from websites, they mentioned that cutting proscar is not recommended
Old 09-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #40

ultimatesg, do u find improvement in ur hair growth?

I read from websites, they mentioned that cutting proscar is not recommended
I believe finasteride will slow down thinning but will not encourage new growth. It works by preventing the follicles becoming smaller till they disappear forever. I believe it works to a certain extent as it definitely help the scalp to become less oily, something to do with DHT. so far this is the best bet. However I have gone off it for about half a year, trying out my theories on blood circulation and has not gone back on it yet. I personally find it hard to believe that the active ingredients in proscar can be that unevenly distributed that spliting it will result in dosage that are significantly different to give results.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #41

I use Head & shoulder sensitive scalp shampoo and Nizoral 3 times weekly.

After washing with Head & shoulder or Nizoral, my scalp will have few little bumps which is quite painful .
huh..using shampoo will cause such pain..dat serious?? actually tot of changing my shampoo for a change for my scalp.. anyone experienced that too?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:24 PM   #42

huh..using shampoo will cause such pain..dat serious?? actually tot of changing my shampoo for a change for my scalp.. anyone experienced that too?
Never leh. Last time I use Nizoral which I find is very gentle. Even Head and Shoulders which some people find harsh is ok to my scalp. I will personally advice one to reduce on acid-forming food and increase fruits and vege intake. Those inflammation on the scalp is due to diet to a big extent. Dun believe take lots of MSG and sodium chloride, the scalp will become inflammed.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #43

I am currrently in my mid 20s and suffering from hairloss 3 yrs ago. Recently, the problem got worse that my hair is thnning so much that i can start to see my scalp clearly on top og my head whenever i am under some bright light... I have family history of hairloss.....i believe is due to heredity... But is there any effective methods to slow down the hairloss till my late 30s...hehe???? Help pls.....
Botak_gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:24 PM   #44

shall we list down the treatments we had b4? This serves as a reference for those who are suffering from hair loss problem

1) Minoxidil (tried for 4 mths)
cause irritation on my scalp. has no improvement in hair growth. In fact, it caused me to lose my hair

2) Propecia (tried for 5 mths)
Until now, did not see any obvious improvement

3) Nizoral /Head & Shoulders Sensitive

Both shampoo cause me to have bumps on my scalp.
gohjlb likes this.

Last edited by Asymtope; 11-12-2005 at 10:27 PM..
Old 11-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #45
Supremacy Member

I am currrently in my mid 20s and suffering from hairloss 3 yrs ago. Recently, the problem got worse that my hair is thnning so much that i can start to see my scalp clearly on top og my head whenever i am under some bright light... I have family history of hairloss.....i believe is due to heredity... But is there any effective methods to slow down the hairloss till my late 30s...hehe???? Help pls.....

as wat Asymtope said the only 2 clinically proven methods to control, n in some case to regrow hair, are usage of propecia orally n the application of topical minoxidil 5%. But take note none of these 2 methods actually 100% works on all ppl.....so u hav to decide which is the better one for u..........propecia actually might cause decrease libido in some cases so if u have an active sex life this might not be the one for u. As for minox 5% those wif heart disease n high blood pressure might not be suitable for usage. As for effectiveness, some ppl swear by propecia while some ppl will swear by minox.......been using minox for 6wks n i have seen some tiny strands of hair growing on my bald patch.......but i might be seeing things!!!
rECKleSSfElla is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.