Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Bee

Banned
Reaction score
52T front, capreo hub with 9T smallest.

My friend is a strong rider. No problem.

but the birdy is supposed to be fast rite? i am thinking rigid frames for maximum power transfer.

unless the sus makes the foldie more comfortable to ride fast.

:s22::s22::s22:

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
birdy is a full sus foldie, wouldnt the sus make it lose efficiency?
birdy suspension is pretty stiff, not like those fork suspension. so not much lost efficiency. good enough to smoothen rough roads.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but the birdy is supposed to be fast rite? i am thinking rigid frames for maximum power transfer.

unless the sus makes the foldie more comfortable to ride fast.

:s22::s22::s22:

Its not supposed to be fast.

But when one changes to oval chain ring, uses Capreo hub and carbon wheelset, he can fly easily. But then my friend is a strong rider who has road bike, Tyrell, Brompton and others.

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its not supposed to be fast.

But when one changes to oval chain ring, uses Capreo hub and carbon wheelset, he can fly easily. But then my friend is a strong rider who has road bike, Tyrell, Brompton and others.
This setup will cost how much in total? I am comparing the price against buying a high end road bike. And whether this setup will beat the speed performance of road bike?

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This setup will cost how much in total? I am comparing the price against buying a high end road bike. And whether this setup will beat the speed performance of road bike?

Do you think a heavily Zhng Corolla Altis can rival a Ferrari? :s13:

Different bicycles serve different purposes.

To hit 25-30 kmh is no problem. And advantage is that one can fold easily and roll to take a train, taxi or bus.

flame2000

Banned
Reaction score
Moi cycled ~85km on my MTB......from Sembawang > Changi Village > Marina Bay > Changi Village. Butt hurt & very tanned now.:(

20151010_150215_zpsibgfoowl.jpg

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you think a heavily Zhng Corolla Altis can rival a Ferrari? :s13:

Different bicycles serve different purposes.

To hit 25-30 kmh is no problem. And advantage is that one can fold easily and roll to take a train, taxi or bus.
No doubt foldie is more convenient. But we should also consider its safety as a factor. I believe foldie is not as stable as a road bike right?

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone here using Shimano R171 shoes? Thinking of getting a pair from CRC, just worried about the fit. CRC is selling it for about S$200.

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

TIA.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No doubt foldie is more convenient. But we should also consider its safety as a factor. I believe foldie is not as stable as a road bike right?

What do you mean by stable?

Small wheels are twitchy as it is easy to oversteer.

As for safety, reputable folding bikes have weight limits.

If you ever pass by AMK, i can let you try both my bikes.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
on flat land defintely wont beat, road bike will smoke foldies anytime of the day.

climb maybe foldie got edge but only on very steep slope

That's why different bikes serve different purposes.

But not true that small wheels have advantages on very steep slopes. Also depends on rider fitness. :s13:

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Moi cycled ~85km on my MTB......from Sembawang > Changi Village > Marina Bay > Changi Village. Butt hurt & very tanned now.:(

Time to check out the butt area for ways to lessen pain and you need to use sunscreen. Skin cancer no joke.

Jay Bee

Banned
Reaction score
found out that the hard cover n95 mask is actually water proof..... can pour out a small bowl of sweat after reach orpit lolx :s22::s22::s22:

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ask your friend to go try them out, since BRU/MBS carries both Tern and Tyrell.
for me, definitely Tyrell. What kind of portability? a simple fold to store away or fold to commute on train/bus? so latter, then Tyrell aint that great.

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

simi safety you referring to? like what Erwin mentioned, if u keep to the specified weight limit, I don't think safety should be a consider. Moreover, foldie and roadie isn't in the same classification, although some foldies have similar geometry as a roadie but a foldie will be hard to match a roadie in terms of speed .

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got a fren considering tern x18 and tyrell fsx. He has a cannondale roadie and intend to change it for a foldie instead due to portability. Any experts on foldie can help review which is better for speed ma?

Sent from Samsung SM-G900F using GAGT

Test ride lo.

Tern is heavier, folds faster but the width is wider after folding. Weight limit is 110kg.

Tyrell FSX is lighter, folds slower and more complicated, slightly taller but width is smaller. Weight limit is lower (was told its 80-90kg max).

Speed wise... Tyrell geometry, aero frame and lightweight will have an advantage. But X18 uses capreo, so at the highest gear (which very few ppl can actually use), x18 53/9>>56/11 for fsx.

Personally, I actually prefer tyrell after test ride. As there is no mid frame folding hinge, the vibration is lesser and more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.