Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have 2 questions to ask:
1. Where can I buy Raleigh or Upland bikes with aluminium alloy and 26 inch tires? Many lighter weight or hybrid bikes I can see have 27.5inch or bigger tires. I try not to ask for Giant or other better brands because they tend to cost way above $500.

2. If I buy a bicycle with Microshift gear system and plan to change to 2x7 or 2 x8 Shimano gear system, where can I do that?

Not 100% sure about who the SG distro for those brands are but to the bolded portion of #1 the reason those hybrid bikes are lighter is due to the smaller diameter tubing and/or ligter grade of the same material used in the construction of the frame. Also a lot some with alloy/carbon fork (vs front suspension fork) and lighter wheels all contributing to the lowered weight ^^
For your question #2 Microshift is actually a respectable maker of bike parts and i see no reason to swap out especially for same or entry level Shimano/SRAM parts IMHO That said if u want can head down to your nearest bike shop they can do it for you loh

onioneggred

Reaction score
Not 100% sure about who the SG distro for those brands are but to the bolded portion of #1 the reason those hybrid bikes are lighter is due to the smaller diameter tubing and/or ligter grade of the same material used in the construction of the frame. Also a lot some with alloy/carbon fork (vs front suspension fork) and lighter wheels all contributing to the lowered weight ^^
For your question #2 Microshift is actually a respectable maker of bike parts and i see no reason to swap out especially for same or entry level Shimano/SRAM parts IMHO That said if u want can head down to your nearest bike shop they can do it for you loh

Thanks for the reply. I considered switching gears because many bikes are sold with 3 front derraileur gears. I usually use just 2.

If i cannot find 26 inch wheels from Upland or Raleigh, I may have to consider other brands. Or find a 27.5 inch bicycle with lower Reach. A suitable example could be Trek FX 1 Stagger.

I am not very tall and my leg seam is only 72 cm without footwear. Must be careful not to bang my crown jewels when i stand between the seat and the handle lol

Last edited:

happily1986

Reaction score
I have 2 questions to ask:
1. Where can I buy Raleigh or Upland bikes with aluminium alloy and 26 inch tires? Many lighter weight or hybrid bikes I can see have 27.5inch or bigger tires. I try not to ask for Giant or other better brands because they tend to cost way above $500.

2. If I buy a bicycle with Microshift gear system and plan to change to 2x7 or 2 x8 Shimano gear system, where can I do that?

2, i second what Batuchka wrote regarding microshift components. Also, 2x7 and 2x8 are obsolete. you should be looking at at least 2x9 speeds

happily1986

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I considered switching gears because many bikes are sold with 3 front derraileur gears. I usually use just 2.

If i cannot find 26 inch wheels from Upland or Raleigh, I may have to consider other brands. Or find a 27.5 inch bicycle with lower Reach. A suitable example could be Trek FX 1 Stagger.

I am not very tall and my leg seam is only 72 cm without footwear. Must be careful not to bang my crown jewels when i stand between the seat and the handle lol

26" is an old wheel standard as many have moved to the 700c and 29" standards.

if you are worried about your step over height, the primary consideration should not be wheel size but rather frame size. dont be an idiot like one moron i know. he is short but insist on riding a large frame. he can only avoid banging balls by tilting the bike one side. :s8:

Last edited:

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

3x to 2x gives u less range gear wise but still have front RD installed so most peeps just more to a single chain upfront and a wider range cassette rear (which is my choice for a commuter btw haha)

Thing is 26" becoming rare but i think Polygon LeRun on Roda's local online site has 26" wheel models? Wif correct frame 27.5" or 700c/29" ought not to be an issue though...

Syz_90

Reaction score
Hi guys. I got a 26” X 1.5” rim. Can I change the tyre and inner tube to say 26” X 1.9”???

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I got a 26” X 1.5” rim. Can I change the tyre and inner tube to say 26” X 1.9”???

is that your current tire diameter/width is it? rims for 26" mtb tires are usually stated on the rims themselves via the numbers 559-XY where 559 corresponds to the diameter of the rims and XY the inner thickness of the rims. From this data, can gauge roughly range of 26" tires width good to go for your rims ^^
WTB-tire-width-to-rim-width-recommendation-chart.gif

eg my 26" MTB has 559-19c rims and according to the chart 2.3" thick 26" tires are fine (falls between rim thickness range of 17c-29c) and i've installed and run 2.4" ok for years as well ^^

Last edited:

onioneggred

Reaction score
26" is an old wheel standard as many have moved to the 700c and 29" standards.

if you are worried about your step over height, the primary consideration should not be wheel size but rather frame size. dont be an idiot like one moron i know. he is short but insist on riding a large frame. he can only avoid banging balls by tilting the bike one side. :s8:

I definitely need to get frame size S or XS for my 72 cm leg seam. Lol

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I looking for bikes for fitness, cycle around SG weekly.
Only cycling around PCN, not comfortable to cycle on road unless at night with less traffic.

What kind of bike should I get? H: 188cm, W: 110kg.

Also getting one for my SO, but she looking for foldie. H: 165cm, W: 65kg.

Also, can cycling build leg muscles? I had a knee surgery before, need to strengthen my legs.

And also, where can I get to look at bikes? Is "my bike shop Singapore" okay to get from?

Last edited:

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For PCN on the budget range of sub $400 i would have a look at Riverside 500? it takes plush 700 x 40c tires IIRC and if you think pumping it on the high side for tire pressure range go ahead ^^ Decathlon also has foldies so why not head down together wif SO? Yes cycling can build up leg muscles but best challenge yourself w.r.t speed, distance or both =:p

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone above 100kg should look at MTB instead of foldie, The hinge on the foldie is subjected to too much pressure and might not be safe. MTB will a rigid frame and build to withstand abuse is a much better choice

Last edited:
Reaction score
For PCN on the budget range of sub $400 i would have a look at Riverside 500? it takes plush 700 x 40c tires IIRC and if you think pumping it on the high side for tire pressure range go ahead ^^ Decathlon also has foldies so why not head down together wif SO? Yes cycling can build up leg muscles but best challenge yourself w.r.t speed, distance or both =:p

Decathlon's bike are decent right? I'm looking at Tern Link A7 and Dahon Route from "MyBikeShopSG" for her. I think I will go with a mountain bike instead.

anyone above 100kg should look at MTB instead of foldie, The hinge on the foldie is subjected to too much pressure and might not be safe. MTB will a rigid frame and build to withstand abuse is a much better choice

Thanks. Any MTB to recommend? What should I look out for in terms of specification?
Budget Around $500 if possible.

snip82

Reaction score
Hi I'm thinking about this 2 bike Tern Link A7 and Dahon Route what the pro and cons?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.