Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thicker tyre will make it easier and less bumpy to get back to the pavement. But it is true that if the angle is too acute and the pavement is a bit raised up the tyre will get scratched and the bike will not be able to 'climb' back up to the pavement. Been there done that with my 2.25 inch tyre.

Why bike cannot go on pavement?

FinalNitro

Reaction score
Escape and Fastroad non front suspension fork
Roam has a front suspension fork

What is your riding preference? :s11:

I'm using Escape.

Previous owner used it to cycle to Desaru. I'm using it to do half Island rides as well as daily commuter bike to tabao food within my neighborhood.

Pros:
Surprisingly light for a hybrid bike. Tiagra rim brake setup with a rear rack is ~10kg.

Giant brand 8 year old model, nobody will want to steal especially when I install racks baskets etc. Super low profile

Relatively upright riding position makes it very relaxing to ride leisurely along PCN for hours.

Cheap! Got mine @ $500 used.

Cons:

Light and comfy doesn't mean it's fast due to the upright riding position.

If you're getting used bike, tyre clearance for older era bikes are still at those 23c 25c era. So yeah take note lo.

Sent from A Young Urban Professional Who Is Highly Sought After By At Least 3 Companies - Telco, Utility And Credit Card using GAGT

Thanks for the replies!

I generally ride along PCNs, avoid roads if possible. But from my place to the nearest PCN has a mixed of terrains, pavements roads grass dirt.

My rides are around 50km, progressively training for more. Previously rode a MTB.

Budget around $800? So I guess fastroad is out. :s13:

Meowtiko

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got cheap hybrid bike to recommend for casual use and weekend food delivery trips or not

:s11:

want to earn a bit extra cash on weekends :s12:

Last edited:

happily1986

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I generally ride along PCNs, avoid roads if possible. But from my place to the nearest PCN has a mixed of terrains, pavements roads grass dirt.

My rides are around 50km, progressively training for more. Previously rode a MTB.

Budget around $800? So I guess fastroad is out. :s13:

to be honest, you will do fine with a bike on a rigid fork. ditching the front suspension fork lightens the bike by about 2 to 3kg

Giant Escape: entry hybrid which Giant terms it as lifestyle bike
Giant Fastroad: one up the Escape which Giant terms it as fitness bike

you are paying for better groupsets on the Fastroad and also the Fastroad is more oriented towards a road bike setup as compared to the Escape. The Fastroad might probably last you a longer time i.e. you wont feel it limiting your own cycling potential
BUT the thinner wheel setup on the Fastroad is less pleasant on lousy pavements, grass and dirt.

Another important difference is the front crank setup. Fastroad is probably on standard 50/34 oriented for speeds on the flats. The Giant has a triple crank which tops out with a gear ratio which is lower than the Fastroad BUT the Giant has a granny gear which allows you to tackle slopes with formidable gradients i.e. > 10%

FinalNitro

Reaction score
to be honest, you will do fine with a bike on a rigid fork. ditching the front suspension fork lightens the bike by about 2 to 3kg

Giant Escape: entry hybrid which Giant terms it as lifestyle bike
Giant Fastroad: one up the Escape which Giant terms it as fitness bike

you are paying for better groupsets on the Fastroad and also the Fastroad is more oriented towards a road bike setup as compared to the Escape. The Fastroad might probably last you a longer time i.e. you wont feel it limiting your own cycling potential
BUT the thinner wheel setup on the Fastroad is less pleasant on lousy pavements, grass and dirt.

Another important difference is the front crank setup. Fastroad is probably on standard 50/34 oriented for speeds on the flats. The Giant has a triple crank which tops out with a gear ratio which is lower than the Fastroad BUT the Giant has a granny gear which allows you to tackle slopes with formidable gradients i.e. > 10%

Thanks for the advices, real helpful.

Apart from comfort sacrifices with the thinner wheels and tyres, will grip be affected? Because coming from a MTB's wide chunky setup, I can cross most terrain and surfaces confidently. Just afraid I might slip with road tyres

happily1986

Reaction score
Thanks for the advices, real helpful.

Apart from comfort sacrifices with the thinner wheels and tyres, will grip be affected? Because coming from a MTB's wide chunky setup, I can cross most terrain and surfaces confidently. Just afraid I might slip with road tyres

No problem unless we are talking about rainy weather, painted surfaces, metallic plates and if you are running on full slicks. 😂

tellim

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently using Giant Escape 3. I went for size M which is within my 173cm height range. Previously I used giant roam bike M size as well

However I still notice my arms will feel tired after supporting my weight on the handles on both bikes. Does it mean I sld go for S size bike or it is normal for high seat riding position?

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently using Giant Escape 3. I went for size M which is within my 173cm height range. Previously I used giant roam bike M size as well
However I still notice my arms will feel tired after supporting my weight on the handles on both bikes. Does it mean I sld go for S size bike or it is normal for high seat riding position?

Why are you use your hands to support your weight? This should not be the case.

Your size should be S. Did you get from giant shop? They will tell you your size. For now you can adjust your saddle. If it still don't work, you can make stem adjustment.

Last edited:

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone here ride giant defy before? any opinion on that bike?

Giant bikes are well made and good for value. Depends on what type of riding you wanted.

Defy has more upright position and the geometry is designed for longer ride in a comfortable position. Singapore is very small, less than 200km.

Happened to saw this bike recently, looks interesting. http://nukeproof.com/products/digger-factory-2020/ I would have bought this if I saw this before getting my bike last year.

Last edited:

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am 1.75 and when I am on my M size triban, same problem after riding after around 10km....not exactly arm tired but more of palm getting numb...

guess wrong size or handle bar too low..

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am 1.75 and when I am on my M size triban, same problem after riding after around 10km....not exactly arm tired but more of palm getting numb...

guess wrong size or handle bar too low..

I checked on decathlon website. It is the correct size. You may have to make some adjustments.

Last edited:

Multiversal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got cheap hybrid bike to recommend for casual use and weekend food delivery trips or not

:s11:

want to earn a bit extra cash on weekends :s12:

What is a hybrid bike?

I am also wondering what is the difference between a road bike and a racer. Their handlebars look alike. :o

Jackintheboxx

Reaction score
Are the giant escape 1/2 being sold through carousell bike sellers legit and anyone bought from them ? Main difference I can see is they use tourney instead of Altus which is shown on the official giant website.

Or any other place to buy hybrid bike in the $600 - 800 range? TIA

happily1986

Reaction score
Are the giant escape 1/2 being sold through carousell bike sellers legit and anyone bought from them ? Main difference I can see is they use tourney instead of Altus which is shown on the official giant website.

Or any other place to buy hybrid bike in the $600 - 800 range? TIA

not sure if these sellers are legit or from which country they source their Escapes from. It is quite appalling that even the Escape 1 is specced with Tourney.

Try Polygon Path 2/3. Polygon is a decent brand that offers value for money.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.