Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

rusnet

Reaction score
How about those giant atx 720, cant seem to find any information on those. I know that there are many China made raleigh on the market.

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, I think it's China market spec. It's has a steel fork, 7 speed tourney derailleur and mechanical disc brake vs giant international which is alloy fork, 8 speed altus and hydraulic disc brake. For me the China spec is good enough, just trying to ascertain if it's genuine giant frame. Their escape 1 is almost identical to international escape 2

The specs from Giant China is not worth saving 200 to 300 dollars. You get much better specs in SG and warranty.

happily1986

Reaction score
Giant Escape—-> Merida Crossway Urban
Giant Fastroad —-> Merida Speeder

Giant chopped up their hybrid line into two and Merida followed suit. So take look at Merida too. Polygon only have a single series; Path in comparison to that.

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah is for my wife. Because she join some 21km bicycle ride thingy and is novice rider. Probably not a roadbike because she prefer an easy upright posture. Probably not foldie because we have the decathlon foldies and have some problem with maintenance. Should be looking at hybrid or mtb bah, but no need high end one. That's why max budget $1k+ only.

Edit: Probably in the future will slowly upgrade parts

1k for non road bike is very high budget...lotsa choice to choose from..how tall or what's your wife build ?

decathlon roadbike is good..but not sure about their MTB or foldie.. you may wanna give foldie another look but get Dahon, or other brands... (brompton foldie really shocked me with their speed, but their price is also as shocking..)

TROLLER

Master Member
Reaction score
There is Giant Roam, $750 on their website, and Giant Escape for 500 plus.

wah bro difficult to talk to you leh... at first I write budget 500 to 1k then you write back giant liv rove... I write back again is above my budget is because the liv series all is above 1k... yes I am aware of the Roam and Escape on their website. Thanks for your help anyway.

TROLLER

Master Member
Reaction score
1k for non road bike is very high budget...lotsa choice to choose from..how tall or what's your wife build ?

decathlon roadbike is good..but not sure about their MTB or foldie.. you may wanna give foldie another look but get Dahon, or other brands... (brompton foldie really shocked me with their speed, but their price is also as shocking..)

1.6m only. We had 2 decathlon btwin foldies but after 1 year got problem so looking at more branded city bikes now lor. Probably settle on Giant and their under 1k bikes. Brompton now all no stock I think and no 2k-3k no talk right?

happily1986

Reaction score

Jackintheboxx

Reaction score
Giant escape or polygon path better? Main thing that is inching me toward giant is the weight which is around 11.8kg vs polygons which are 14+ kg. Will the 2 kg make alot of difference in daily normal riding?

happily1986

Reaction score
Giant escape or polygon path better? Main thing that is inching me toward giant is the weight which is around 11.8kg vs polygons which are 14+ kg. Will the 2 kg make alot of difference in daily normal riding?

I have access to a Path 3 and also a Trek MTB. The Path 3 isn’t all that heavy to be honest. While the additional heft is a penalty for pick up. you don’t feel it once you are up and moving as long as the drive train is efficient and smooth.

pale

Master Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, if only doing causal weekend PCN,maybe at most 50km round trip. Is a single speed (not a fixie) going to be difficult?

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, if only doing causal weekend PCN,maybe at most 50km round trip. Is a single speed (not a fixie) going to be difficult?

No, Singapore roads are mostly flat. If you cannot go up small hills, just push your bike.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My father doesn't allow me to put bike at home...

I planning to get Riverside 500. Is locking bike directly outside my house a badidea?

How should I lock it if I really no choice but have to lock out?

Ev0d3vil

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I planning to get Riverside 500. Is locking bike directly outside my house a badidea?

Why don't try second hand? Get one that doesn't look too new and use a u lock.

mccmmm

Banned
Reaction score

Just any lock will do n extend over the bike with bicycle cover.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.