HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1277Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #3436

Vespaguy, that makes quite a bit of sense.
Alantcy, you just lost a deal. Gonna save up for a porsche instead of a folder now. HAHAHAHAHA
Err...I hope I didn't cause that coz Alantcy gives a great deal on some great knives. I'm eyeing the yojimbo he has. Now if someone buys my knives, I'll get some free cash and can grab something from Alantcy

productions customs midtechs handmade...they're all good. Whatever makes you happy. I know I like all, but my wallet is light and my debts are not lol

Last edited by vespaguy; 01-05-2013 at 12:30 PM..
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #3437

Haha, vespaguy and alantcy just joking la ah.
I got heart to buy, but no money.

Now I'm pleased with my 3 new buys, but not yet satisfied with my quest for the ultimates. So far the knives are mighty fine, but I think I won't ever carry the spyderco endura 4. Only the kershaw and leatherman. Endura 4 too scary. Already cut myself already, no balls carry it. Lol.

Aiming any knives guys?
Sigmazxcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #3438

First part of the conversation pretty much nails it.
It basically boils down to things like rarity, fan demand, f&f quality, material cost, etc.

No offense, but some see a good knife but whine about the price.
Some can't even get it when they have the dough.
Just my honest 2 cents.

vespaguy likes this.
alantcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #3439

Considering I ate shipping fees, gst, and some crazy PP exchange rates - the prices are more than reasonable.
If you're really interested, let me know. Maybe we can work out something
What alantcy says here is very true.
Look at the price he is letting go, take into consideration the expensive shipping and even GST like the Sprint PM2, I guess the prices are rather reasonable.

Look at it this way, you don't have to go through customs and wait for the shipping. And I have to say, those are mostly good pieces if one knows about folders.
kaapuii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #3440

Emerson

Hi all, Stumbled upon this thread. I'm looking for an Emerson A-100, or any other folders similar in design. More specifically I'm looking for a combat folder (tactical looking), blade length of 3.5-4" combo edge, with thumb disc or thumb stud. Currently I carry a CRKT M16 as part of my EDC. Thanks, D
hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #3441

What alantcy says here is very true.
Look at the price he is letting go, take into consideration the expensive shipping and even GST like the Sprint PM2, I guess the prices are rather reasonable.

Look at it this way, you don't have to go through customs and wait for the shipping. And I have to say, those are mostly good pieces if one knows about folders.
No offense taken from anyone. And I hope I didn't offend anyone either! It's true that good folders in Singapore are generally gems to come by. Money might not even get what you want. And I believe many of us around here would rather pay a little more even if need be, just so we have a piece of mind knowing the package isn't lost in transit. Cause I think top collector pieces are worth the dollars. Better to hurt the wallet than the heart.
Sigmazxcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #3442

what's important is that you get joy and happiness from your hobby or pursuit. Or if you aren't interested in joy and happiness, maybe a little pride and satisfaction

There are so many production knives that catch my eye. But I can't chase them all...finite hobby money means that I have to be selective. I am into customs now because of the non-cookie cutter build process, more handwork, more direct communication between the maker and myself (when was the last time you exchanged emails with Sal Glesser? it has been 10 years for me, and after that, I've never had the pleasure...he is a busy man after all but a very nice man), more ability to customise to your liking (can you ask benchmade to put in a timascus thumbstud for you?) etc. With that comes more costs...if you think about how many hours goes into making a folder, those guys do not make much...most of them still hold on to their day jobs. The rockstars...well, that's a different story.

I keep a couple of production folders for when I need to beat up on them, and for particular uses. I have my Benchmade triage for most outdoor activities due to the N680steel, sheeple friendly design and colour and it's a bang for the buck knife. I have my Spyderco Sage 2 for office EDC due to the deep carry clip, and this is the only Tom Krein regrind folder I have left (and the man doesn't want to do any more). I have my Leatherman MUT for multitool needs and my custom folders when I feel like pampering my pockets a little. To feed the hobby, I have to make sacrifices as well...less drinking, partying and other toys. Less money on clothing (well, it must be age because I'm not too interested in that anymore, haha), shoes etc. It's just about moving the assets around.

In the near future I am looking to send out a couple of production folders for pimpin/mod-work. Such mods drive the cost of the folders to just under custom prices, but it is so much more personal.

Well, the weather is hot, and my glass of ice tea is gone, so I'll stop with my rambling now....

bumping my for sale thread here:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ge...s-4196077.html

(for the Umnumzaan, I'm open to a straight trade for a similar mint condition Large Sebenza 21 S35VN steel, black micarta inlays, full box papers tool cloth etc or a mint Large Regular Sebenza full box papers tool etc plus a little cash on your end).

here's a video on Umnumzaan testing by Jon Ankerson:

and a video on the Nilakka

Last edited by vespaguy; 05-05-2013 at 01:53 AM..
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #3443

Hi all, Stumbled upon this thread. I'm looking for an Emerson A-100, or any other folders similar in design. More specifically I'm looking for a combat folder (tactical looking), blade length of 3.5-4" combo edge, with thumb disc or thumb stud. Currently I carry a CRKT M16 as part of my EDC. Thanks, D

hello hobgoblin, I am curious:
- why do you reference the Emerson A100? it is actually one of the more non-tactical (if there is such a word) in the emerson line up...straighthandled, no guard
- why 3.5-4" (that is pretty large)
- why combo edge

I like emersons too but cannot carry them for EDC, they stick out of the pocket too high and therefore attract unnecessary attention. For the most part, I hate the wave and the fit and finish is just not great. They are also priced a little higher than the competition (if you consider the one steel + one ti liner, 154CM steel, and the fit and finish). YOu could get better steel, better build from Kershaw/ZT/Benchmade/Spyderco if you wanted.

BTW, this is not a knock on emersons, I have 2 of them as well, but do not carry one for reasons mentioned above (it is an NSAR, something that cannot be bought by the general public unless in the aftermarket, as it is sold only to US Navy personnel, as I am led to believe) and the other, has been modified to allow for deeper carry but hasn't had its day in the sun yet
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #3444

Would you consider a ZT0300 Blemish? I have one looking for a good home.

Sonic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #3445

hello hobgoblin, I am curious:
- why do you reference the Emerson A100? it is actually one of the more non-tactical (if there is such a word) in the emerson line up...straighthandled, no guard
- why 3.5-4" (that is pretty large)
- why combo edge

I like emersons too but cannot carry them for EDC, they stick out of the pocket too high and therefore attract unnecessary attention. For the most part, I hate the wave and the fit and finish is just not great. They are also priced a little higher than the competition (if you consider the one steel + one ti liner, 154CM steel, and the fit and finish). YOu could get better steel, better build from Kershaw/ZT/Benchmade/Spyderco if you wanted.

BTW, this is not a knock on emersons, I have 2 of them as well, but do not carry one for reasons mentioned above (it is an NSAR, something that cannot be bought by the general public unless in the aftermarket, as it is sold only to US Navy personnel, as I am led to believe) and the other, has been modified to allow for deeper carry but hasn't had its day in the sun yet
Hi Vespaguy, for the Emerson I'm not too sure myself. Guess the design and shape appeals to me. I am not a fan for thumb holes for one. I also read somewhere that the other Emerson models' design were evolved from the A-100.

I suppose at the end, I'm looking for an EDC- something sturdy, robust and dependable. As for the size I will not consider anything less than 3". Somehow it feels more ergonomic to hold a lager knife,allowing my fingers to spread around the scales. Combo Edge suits my requirements especially when cutting fibrous materials.

My current considerations at the moment are BM griptilian tanto, and 943 Osborne.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #3446

re: emerson, the A100 is a design that looks like the viper series, so maybe that is true.

the other features you've mentioned are interesting:

combo edge - unless you're doing a lot of rope cutting, the plain edge is easier to maintain (you can resharpen easily on the stone). How do you plan on sharpening the serrated portion of the CE? it won't be easy. A well sharpened PE will be able to cut rope well too, although not as effective as the serrated portion. Personally, I find PE much better.

tanto point - this feature I don't really get it. The only americanized tanto point blade that I like is on the emerson CQC6.

In any case, I think the Griptillian is a good option to consider, BM does make great axis-lock folders. And definitely the Kershaw ZT-series. Although you have said you do not like the spyderhole, I hope you will try one someday...I find the spyderhole to be one of the best opening mechanisms in folding knives, and I love the fact that it looks like an 'eye'. Spyderco's Endura/Delica/Tenacious/Persistance/Salt series are bang for the buck knives.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #3447

the BM contega M4 steel folder...hmmm, the 62-64HRC and the fact that there's no rolling/chipping during that batoning test is...

would like to see M390 vs M4 performance.

Last edited by vespaguy; 01-05-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #3448

re: emerson, the A100 is a design that looks like the viper series, so maybe that is true.

the other features you've mentioned are interesting:

combo edge - unless you're doing a lot of rope cutting, the plain edge is easier to maintain (you can resharpen easily on the stone). How do you plan on sharpening the serrated portion of the CE? it won't be easy. A well sharpened PE will be able to cut rope well too, although not as effective as the serrated portion. Personally, I find PE much better.

tanto point - this feature I don't really get it. The only americanized tanto point blade that I like is on the emerson CQC6.

In any case, I think the Griptillian is a good option to consider, BM does make great axis-lock folders. And definitely the Kershaw ZT-series. Although you have said you do not like the spyderhole, I hope you will try one someday...I find the spyderhole to be one of the best opening mechanisms in folding knives, and I love the fact that it looks like an 'eye'. Spyderco's Endura/Delica/Tenacious/Persistance/Salt series are bang for the buck knives.
Thanks for some of the insight Vespaguy. I've actually looked at spyderco's catalogue and have shortlisted models like paramilitary 2, persistence and endura. I am looking for police or military. I'm actually more inclined to get the Resilence first as it's quite affordable and decide if I like the spydehole deployment.

I like tanto point because it offers a.a stronger tip. You got me there on CE sharpening issues though. I've seen sharpening kits for serrated edges but reckon that it won't be an easy feat to execute much less ruin the edge.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #3449

zt 0560

anyone has a 0560/0561 to let go? or a pm2? <-especially if its the digicam/satin/plain combo. thanks guys! hope you guys are enjoying your labour day!
killstreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #3450

tanto blades offer much less continuous cutting edge than droppoint. Try opening envelopes or even cutting open bags (cement, jutte etc) and you'll know what I mean. I prefer having a fine tip for my blades, just has more utility than the americanised tanto tip. I do know some prefer the tanto point because it looks 'badass'. I'm just not into 'badass' looking blades, lol.

if you're talking about rope cutting being the objective of the serrations, 1.5" of serrations aren't going to help much, IMO. You can't have effective sawing motion with only 1.5". I would go fully serrated then. And in order not to get hung up, it has been recommended that the serrations are those of the large scallop variety. I have no experience with serrations but that's what I've read.

Last edited by vespaguy; 01-05-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.