EDMW Knife Collectors

hobcraz

Reaction score
i have a suspicion that leatherman screwed up the quality and manufacture of the Blast/Kick/Fuse, and for that reason it has been discontinued. i'm reading a lot of breakages of those 3 models over the net.

It's the same like other products. Sometimes consumers feel so great that manufacturer honor their warranty with fabulous uunconditional one to one exchange but actually they have have been slapped by many to do these exchanges.

Mmmm. .. on the other hand, those break off cross sections looks like powdery bricks. Is it because they are carbon based steel that they dun bend but breaks. It's the same for my SOG flat head screwdriver break off.

Nevertheless, everyone please remind to use your precious wisely.i learned from my break off. Not worth comparing with a $2 screw driver. $2 screw driver always win... haha

squarebox

Reaction score
Letting go of my user 940-1 for below market price of USD$263.50. Carried twice only.
PM for price.:s12:
DSC_0151_zps26de5429.jpg

DSC_0166_zpsde97f3b4.jpg

DSC_0200_zps4d843e09.jpg

DSC_0160_zps3a35a536.jpg

My Spyderco just gets much more carry time...

Last edited:

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's the same like other products. Sometimes consumers feel so great that manufacturer honor their warranty with fabulous uunconditional one to one exchange but actually they have have been slapped by many to do these exchanges.

Mmmm. .. on the other hand, those break off cross sections looks like powdery bricks. Is it because they are carbon based steel that they dun bend but breaks. It's the same for my SOG flat head screwdriver break off.

Nevertheless, everyone please remind to use your precious wisely.i learned from my break off. Not worth comparing with a $2 screw driver. $2 screw driver always win... haha

That y Vespaguy say b4 also, use the correct tool. Multitool is for camping purpose when u need to be on the lightweight so u carry one to do multiple things.

At home, when u need to do thing like hammer a nail... use a hammer.

The reason carbon steel from those tools break off is due to bad heat treatment. maybe too high HRC causing it to become brittle. It could be due to a lot of other reasons... but using a cheap tool for the same job at least break liao wont feel so heart pain. Like my $2 hammer from daiso.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
any recommendation?

Increase your budget to usd50. Let us know your intended application?

The logic is simple. If you are going to pay (whether directly or indirectly (ie. embedded in the cost of the product) for shipping (normally at least USD25), it makes no sense to buy something cheap. There are lots of Kershaws and Spydercos that can be had for USD50 and below. It makes more sense to get those, then pay USD25 for shipping. It's best to combine two orders actually, so shipping becomes about USD15 each.

If you're looking for an all round utility blade, and you like the Spyderco philosophy, I would suggest you at least check out:

- Spyderco Delica
- Spyderco Salt (for water-based use)
- Spyderco Tenacious/Persistance
- Spyderco Dragonfly

I'm not familiar with KErshaws but you can get many many good KErshaws for under USD50, but they may not have very good steel (still ok but equivalent to AUS8/AUS10 steel).

If you want just a multifunction tool, then multi-tools and swiss army knives are better. Plus they can be carried with no issue in public.

If you're open to Chinese knock-offs, the sky is the limit - they mostly feature AUS10/440C type steels. If you just want a folding knife but don't care much for the steel, build, materials, originality...I recall seeing someone selling chinese made knock-offs - Sanrenmu, Land, etc for under SGD50 in the marketplace. Sanrenmu would be better than that Smith & Wesson generic black bladed folder (which is also made in china).

let us know, and we can give more suggestions.

Last edited:

squarebox

Reaction score
I would recommend the Spyderco Dragonfly and Delica too. Simply because VG-10 is awesome and they are extremely light for their size.

For the love for ORANGE!!!
YW87TOI.jpg

In hand(please take into account I have small hands):
Dragonfly
IMG_2087_zps7d13be9b.jpg

Delica
IMG_2090_zpsa5497b67.jpg

If you're able to cough up a USD$110 get the Manix2 S110V. Crazy good steel! It's the second one from the top. All though it's big, it's lighter than the top one and almost as light as the delica.
DSC_0149_zpsd429250c.jpg

Last edited:

mamba2012

Reaction score
I would recommend the Spyderco Dragonfly and Delica too. Simply because VG-10 is awesome and they are extremely light for their size.

For the love for ORANGE!!!
YW87TOI.jpg

In hand(please take into account I have small hands):
Dragonfly
IMG_2087_zps7d13be9b.jpg

Delica
IMG_2090_zpsa5497b67.jpg

If you're able to cough up a USD$110 get the Manix2 S110V. Crazy good steel! It's the second one from the top. All though it's big, it's lighter than the top one and almost as light as the delica.
DSC_0149_zpsd429250c.jpg

Just outta curiosity, what do u rank as the top steel?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Which would u guys recommend? Dragonfly2 or delica4 for edc?

if you don't have a problem explaining a delica to LEO, then I would recommend delica. I believe it's also cheaper than the dragonfly.

the dragonfly is smaller and more discrete though, with its wire clip and deeper carry. At that size, nobody will doubt your story that it's purely an EDC.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
if you must baton with your folder, do so with the folder unlocked. batoning puts way too much stress on the locks. why do things the wrong way? :s11:

I bought my friend an enlan, the construction looks pretty good.

Last edited:

hobcraz

Reaction score
Southern Blend.. See below.

From my humble beginner/starter voice...:s12:

Agree with Vespaguy. If budget, get the Sanrenmu can already.

If you wan to feel good about some hobbyists feel and better knife (no need high cost), like me start with a Spyderco Tenacious. Because it is low priced nice Spyderco, I dare to open up all the parts and improve it. Sanrenmu I have gotten one from local shop, wa lau.. the edge cannot hold long. Open letters still can (Yah. my staff every time always so scared see me flick open the knife to open letters).

Squarebox: Really delicated Spyderco fan. If only the manix uses the Sage (short looking) steel bolt lock instead of the transparent plastic will be perfect. Never fall for FRN handles even with ZDP blades, is these handles feel strong?
To me it resembles like moulded plastic basic RC car chassis than the those quality RC cars in carbon fibre stacks. :s13::s13:
Picky getting my 2nd Spydie... My last order with the ZT has pulled away from the Damascus Stretch because I find it abit on the high even its 600pc limited. Worth it?

hobcraz

Reaction score
This piece really looks like those top-end remote control car chassis. :s13::s13::s13: Nice. Miss my RC days

Letting go of my user 940-1 for below market price of USD$263.50. Carried twice only.
PM for price.:s12:

Squarebox's photos (yah yah Hardwarezone.. I know I still cant post picture yet...)

My Spyderco just gets much more carry time...

squarebox

Reaction score
@hobcraz: nope I'm appreciate well designed knives which Spyderco and ZT score highly in my books.
DSC_0147_zps205dbadf.jpg

E.g.
275 Adamas: unbalance(too blade heavy)
940-1: Deploying is unnatural
943: unpractical blade design unless your job is stabbing people
Ritter: half-liner which makes the knife unbalance(too blade heavy)
Mini-Ritter: Best knife from Benchmade
Mini-Grip: Overpriced after MAP

More Spydercos:
DSC_0153_zps7ab6af72.jpg

Military: Great design but only one clip position
Paramilitary2: One of the best designs yet

Others:
DSC_0154_zps544bfe86.jpg

Victorinox: Tested and proven in time to be extremely good.

DSC_0156_zps407dc2a7.jpg

Opinel: Perhaps I'm unlucky. Mine came totally unsharpen... Butter knife...
ZT0801: One of the most impressive knife I've came across(I've 2 blackwashed versions ordered)
Kershaw OD-2: great design but the steel is garbage...

Many more on the way :s22::s22::s22:

Last edited:

mechwira

Reaction score
i bought my spyderco delica 4 ffg off this local e-store:

<cannot post link, search 'edgepedition'>

i only noticed this estore recently, it has a very small range of knives, and strangely he stocks like only one pc per colour/model (the grey delica thats sold out, thats me who bought his one and only piece). but for a local estore the price is hard to beat, and it comes in an unopened box.

i do edc my delica in my daily rotation. i originally thought of an endura, but i'm glad i chose the delica instead, coz now my delica's size is my reference size for edc, i dun think i willing to edc any knife bigger than a delica. put simply, whip out a delica in the office to cut something, people will raise eyebrows. whip out an endura, people will think you're psycho.

the full flat grind is superb for slicing, but better not pry or screw. its VG-10 which is medium-high grade steel. bloody sharp out of the box, slices paper with just a push cut. i nicked my finger and i didn even see how it happened.

my only issue is my particular knife seems too tight to flick, even with wrist. i donno how ppl can do the syderco finger flick, mine just cant. loosening the pivot screw creates blade play long before it becomes loose enough to flick. but its not a big problem coz the size of the knife is such that your thumb easily travels the entire spyderhole motion from closed to fully open in one single move.

ultimately, superhappy with this medium-high end pocket edc knife, especially at the price point i got. currently mulling buying a Ka-Bar Dozier or ESEE Zancudo or the new Buck Mini Spitfire as additional cheap pocket edc folders.

squarebox

Reaction score
i bought my spyderco delica 4 ffg off this local e-store:

<cannot post link, search 'edgepedition'>

i only noticed this estore recently, it has a very small range of knives, and strangely he stocks like only one pc per colour/model (the grey delica thats sold out, thats me who bought his one and only piece). but for a local estore the price is hard to beat, and it comes in an unopened box.

i do edc my delica in my daily rotation. i originally thought of an endura, but i'm glad i chose the delica instead, coz now my delica's size is my reference size for edc, i dun think i willing to edc any knife bigger than a delica. put simply, whip out a delica in the office to cut something, people will raise eyebrows. whip out an endura, people will think you're psycho.

the full flat grind is superb for slicing, but better not pry or screw. its VG-10 which is medium-high grade steel. bloody sharp out of the box, slices paper with just a push cut. i nicked my finger and i didn even see how it happened.

my only issue is my particular knife seems too tight to flick, even with wrist. i donno how ppl can do the syderco finger flick, mine just cant. loosening the pivot screw creates blade play long before it becomes loose enough to flick. but its not a big problem coz the size of the knife is such that your thumb easily travels the entire spyderhole motion from closed to fully open in one single move.

ultimately, superhappy with this medium-high end pocket edc knife, especially at the price point i got. currently mulling buying a Ka-Bar Dozier or ESEE Zancudo or the new Buck Mini Spitfire as additional cheap pocket edc folders.

Wait till you try a Spyderco Sage... A dream come true!!!
If you ever want to try it out let me know

Regarding the tightness of your Delica, it needs time to break it. My delica came the same way and smooth out after some time.

Last edited:

squarebox

Reaction score

Bought this because of this video

That's nothing compared to this crazy russian guy's testing... Beyond what 99% of people would ever need from their knives.

For budget knives:

Spyderco Military vs. Shirogorov jerboa 100

hobcraz

Reaction score
Squarebox: Plus 2 more Likes..... Wa L#n eh... Bueh Tahan.. I also gotten the ZT801 but I polished away the stonewashed one side from edge to the first grind. Haven "wicked" it yet. More works going to put in it. THAT is reason why I drop off the Damascus Stretch because 801 very well value and priced. Damn solid. That is why still sold out since my last order. No stocks.

Spyderco is actually quite high quality despite my Tenacious is china. And many design to choose that I have to make sure my next purchase, I dun fall into the poison to grab so many. Keep the drawer for other models in the future. haha.

Mechwira: Your office thingy well described that I burst my saliva just now. Well said. Imagine a Japanese comic about flicking knife in office
Practice bro.. I flick with either thumbs or middle finger both hands on the "hole".
The smooth thing... try this... open up your delica (if you dare), take out the copper washer and rub the copper washer (with finger) both sides with 2500 grit sandpaper (bought at Horme ubi). This is because one side most washer always are stamped out with rough edges. Then use dremel to polish the copper washer to smooooth. Re-assemble it, you should have those improvements.

Try coconut virgin oil instead for your pivots after assemble. Coconut oil is less harmful than petroleum based oil on rubber, plastics etc. Sorry ah... I have little knowledge yet. I read up in spyderco forum, use mineral oil better blah blah... Then I explore my wife's coconut oil for hair and even for cooking. It turns out smooth.

For your info, only tried on my Tenacious, haven't flick or open my ZT yet or other knives yet or you trust me can help to dismantle for you... :D:D:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.