EDMW Knife Collectors

FeDup

Reaction score
Knife Center

Sigh........

Tried ordering a Buck 7" knife and a Ka-Bar 10 1/4 knife from knife center and it costs USD$88 for shipping.

Anybody else got any other sites to order from??

My previous order with KnifeCenter consisting of 2 knives below 6", a pair of gloves, a eating tool, shipping only USD$36. Seems like FedEx really up the Shipping rates to SGP liao....... Sad!!!

bellwether

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sigh........

Tried ordering a Buck 7" knife and a Ka-Bar 10 1/4 knife from knife center and it costs USD$88 for shipping.

My previous order with KnifeCenter consisting of 2 knives below 6", a pair of gloves, a eating tool, shipping only USD$36. Seems like FedEx really up the Shipping rates to SGP liao....... Sad!!!

Charlie Zhang bought a Kabar a few months back, PM him and ask where he got the lobang lor.

mechwira

Reaction score
i like to buy off ebay, sometimes you can find sellers with shipping for only SG$15. downside is their shipping takes two weeks to arrive and there is no tracking, but so far my items always arrive. eventually.

and the prices for the knives on ebay are generally lower than local. which means even with sgd15 shipping its significantly lower.

squarebox

Reaction score
Sigh........

Not sure about what went wrong but I tried to check out a 10" Junglas and the shipping was only USD$28.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I think $88 means you may have selected the wrong Fedex? I've never seen it for $88. Always $24 and thereabouts.

FeDup

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the reply. It did say USD$36 for shipping when I clicked to order.

But 2 days after my orders, KnifeCenter emailed me to say that the shipping is USD$88 and still asked me if I am ok with it.

So I dont know what or where went wrong..... Sigh.

squarebox

Reaction score
The most I ever paid is $45.90 but I have 2 large objects in my order.
Zs22bun.jpg

But when I ordered my Edgepro Apex a longtime back and paid only $27
s5Q33us.jpg

What gives?:s22:

FeDup

Reaction score
Hi All.....

Now I know. Knife Center replied me and said it was because of the box dimensions. Guess the length of the Ka-Bar knife was the culprit.

Sigh......

bellwether

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All.....

Now I know. Knife Center replied me and said it was because of the box dimensions. Guess the length of the Ka-Bar knife was the culprit.

Sigh......

At that kinda shipping, you might as well get it locally

mechwira

Reaction score
my three purchases from knife center finally arrived today :s12:

let me do brief out-of-the-box reviews of them.

First is the Ka-Bar Dozier. The Ka-Bar Mule in the pics was a much earlier purchase. The first knife i ever bought (not including MT's and SAK's), and it was a mistake because being a noob i had no concept of size =:p

kabar1.jpg

kabar5.jpg

kabar6.jpg

kabar2.jpg

kabar3.jpg

kabar4.jpg

Other than the funky fluorescent (zombie) green colour, to be honest theres nothing 'collectible' about these knives. they're built to be used and abused (within reason). it seems ka-bar tried building the best quality they could while keeping the final price affordable, with no fancy add-ons.

The Mule is not suitable for edc - its just way too big. its more of a foldable survival/hunting knife. it feels sturdy in your hand and heavy in a reassuring rather than annoying way, like its rugged enough for any outdoor work. short of batoning and the like; leave those to fixed blades.

the weight distribution is biased to the handle. the thumb stud travels too far for my thumb to follow through fully. i prefer to do a wrist flick to open the blade in a single motion, where the weight helps the swing and it locks in a solid 'thunk'. definitely not to do in the office.

the mule also comes in plain edge, in black or desert tan.

the Dozier is definitely an edc size and weight. it really feels like a smaller sibling to the mule when you open and close the blade. the handles feel good and grippy, i believe it wont slip in wet/sweaty hands. surprisingly, despite being small the thumb stud also travels too far for my thumb to follow through in a single motion. flicking it is easy though.

the dozier also comes in desert tan, coyote brown, orange and pink.

in my final assessment, these are knives to buy if your main intention is for using them, especially if you're on a budget (Mule <SGD100, Dozier <SGD50) or you deliberately don't want a high end knife to be scuffed from regular/hard use, but you still want a quality american brand name with reasonable steel (they're both AUS8). buy the dozier for an edc or if your work requires regular cutting. buy the mule to strap on to your pack for outdoors hiking/camping, and the dozier in your pocket for easy access.

Last edited:

mechwira

Reaction score
next was my benchmade mini griptilian. seems like you cant call yourself a knife nut without having owned a griptilian or the mini :D

BMGrip3.jpg

BMGrip1.jpg

BMGrip2.jpg

BMGrip4.jpg

first of all, i love this size and this colour. as an edc, i think i can take it out and at first glance ppl will think its a stationery pen knife bought at a bookshop :s8:

i love the axis lock. my first bolt action knife. this one flips easily with the thumb stud, or unlock the button and do wrist flick with no thumb action. and you can swing it close too. cool.

and very smooth. doesnt feel like it needs bedding in, which means if it does bed in after some time it will be even smoother.

blade center is almost perfect as you can see.

this will enter my regular edc lineup for sure.

mechwira

Reaction score
and my last purchase is a Buck Mini Spitfire.

EIfV1nDMSHnT_n7Var6b6mOJg6TGDNzpVzQnXuGrsls=w830-h623-no

a5SI4Z98Xi_W2bxWpF_uq_KsDNVy1ndFyu0KgaQl5II=w830-h623-no

xPpa1zYptWTEFXmXGrput6H0Dgj1whFpZoXZlwbksGo=w830-h623-no

i was attracted to this because it seemed like a cheap but goodlooking gentleman's folder.

i like the size. all four fingers grip, with nothing more.

the colour... to be honest, now that i have it i wish i had opted for the silver or orange.

the thumbhole is just a little too small. the motion is tight out of the box, perhaps it needs bedding in. the knife itself is very very light.

small sized pocket edc knife that wont scare people? good and sleek looking? american brand name and quality? and cheap too? the mini spitfire ticks all these boxes. good, but not perfect.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
just ship USPS global express. all that will come at USD40-50. Kabar's aren't that big. And express comes in a week as well.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
mechwira, looks like you're on a roll. I like the axis lock too...so far, I've enjoying my triage very much (my favourite camping folder - with the sheepsfoot blade, it doubles up for food prep) with its bright orange scales. The only downside is that it's thick and heavier, so it's only for weekends.

mechwira

Reaction score
mechwira, looks like you're on a roll.

yeah, the last bumper crop was a self-treat from mid-year bonus.

i'm still waiting for a CRKT Nirk Tighe 2 ordered from ebay with my June pay even before my knife center orders, still hasn arrived :eek:

i'm thinking i'll stay off buying next few paydays and instead set aside a little bit and then buying a spyderco sage 2. but i'm being very tempted by the Kizer Cutlery Ki3404. Titanium framelock with S35VN blade at only USD130. the brand is dirt cheap coz its made in china, but high grade materials.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
still available

come knife people....my large micarta insingo is still available. Like new, only small minor marks at clip. more than USD100 off the price if you buy it direct from CRK/dealer (CRKs are not discounted by dealers due to pricing controls).

Asking for only USD450 nett in my paypal account - it needs funding....=:p=:p=:p

The bladeshape makes it perfect for EDC, camp prep (it's got a slicier blade than the Umnumzaan) and the double silver thumblugs and micarta make all the difference.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/g...ingo-micarta-folder-4684881.html#post86695368

Get it today and I'll throw in a free sharpening too (if you don't do your own sharpening)!! :D

Last edited:

squarebox

Reaction score
Anyone have lots of experience with elmax? It feels like a tougher and has less wear resistance than S30V. Sounds like nice inbetween VG10 and S30V EDC steel for people beat on their knives.

Other findings, the paper-like packing tape destroy edges very quickly at least on S110V while ZDP-189 screams "Is that all you've got?"

Anyone got a quality triplet loupe that I can borrow? I only have a cheapo 3x glass from Diaso which isn't powerful enough to see micro chips, rows or bur.

Last edited:

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone have lots of experience with elmax? It feels like a tougher and has less wear resistance than S30V. Sounds like nice inbetween VG10 and S30V EDC steel for people beat on their knives.

Other findings, the paper-like packing tape destroy edges very quickly at least on S110V while ZDP-189 screams "Is that all you've got?"

Anyone got a quality triplet loupe that I can borrow? I only have a cheapo 3x glass from Diaso which isn't powerful enough to see micro chips, rows or bur.

Elmax suppose to have a incredible wear resistance like S90V.

But I believe its toughness should be around S30V or less by a bit. Still depends on what hardness level they heat treat to.

sojourn88

Reaction score
anyone own/ handled a hinderer before? recently saw one XM18 3" Wharncliffe at around USD300+ from hinderer's site and it was gone in minutes. now minimum is US700 almost everywhere and no stock.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.