EDMW Knife Collectors

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can't have too thin a blade if you're going to be cutting through all the carrots and potatoes, or at least you need to be careful with thinner blades (they may wedge more). I presume that you're not cutting through bones. Although I've never had the privilege of trying the honosuke HD - that's the blade I have in mind. It's a semi stainless. A cladded aogami super blade would have good edge retention too. Although there's more maintenance than stainless...

do you like western handles or Japanese D/octagonal handles?

the western style blades have thicker blades than the Japanese knives so you may want to consider that too.

japaneseknifedirect or is it japanesechefknife has some nice blades too...I am told the R2 steel is pretty good.

I am personally interested to try the hap40 cladded steel (carbon core, stainless cladding). I'm presently using VG10 suminagashi and shirogami cladded with soft jigane in the kitchen right now. They both work pretty good for carrots and potatoes although the shirogami blade stains super easily - it is basically brown after chopping onions, garlic and potatoes for a meal :s13:

I think a 1000/3000 grit stone would work well, unless you're reprofiling. I'm letting my 2000 grit naniwa superstone go because I have a cheaper 1000/3000 grit stone (it doesn't have much slurry as well, but I have a nagura stone to help with the slurry) and my fridge is empty so truffles, wagyu, and other produce are appreciated in trade :s13: (well, wanton mee and fish soup is my staple but one should have some nice grub in the fridge for special occasions, right?)

R2 steel is very close to american CPM 35vn.

Jap aogami steel are non stainless steel that has good edge retention and good toughness. Much like a CPM M4... That american likes to use for cutting competition.

Of course having a custom made aogami knife would be perfect for kitchen but the hassle of maintaining will kill you.

mamba2012

Reaction score
Really like a sanmai with western handle cause im lefty... but not a shun... also i always hate forged blade bolster reaching the heel... so difficult to sharpen

Try razorsharp. I know they've got a very wide variety of chef knives and the people are friendly and knowledgeable as well.

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try razorsharp. I know they've got a very wide variety of chef knives and the people are friendly and knowledgeable as well.

They told us to use sand paper... I also know.

But my knife use sand paper will look horrible!

doel89

Reaction score
obviously not to the point of using a leather strop and compound ...

in the kitchen ... always get scolded for sharpening knife....
no time leh.. but use honing steel heart pain...

not trying for an ornamental chef knife...
probably something that retain edge.. does not need honing. dont have to be resistant cause use everyday at least 6 hours.. and most of all not so expensive that i would cry is someone else use it...

then again with all the crap 10 inch 12 inch victorinox and geisser lying around .... i rather get a stone before a knife..

was NANIWA the "lobster" brand? my mentor used to have a 800# grit micron stone very big one .. brown colour.... i would like that ...

the super stone like very expensive leh, still need so much accessories
flat grinder .. rubber base...

google chinese water stone 12000 grit :
i using this one totally no grinding feeling... slipped and cut my hand twice liao.... bought for 6 dollars at sia huat ... tot i got a bargain..

Last edited:

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
obviously not to the point of using a leather strop and compound ...

in the kitchen ... always get scolded for sharpening knife....
no time leh.. but use honing steel heart pain...

not trying for an ornamental chef knife...
probably something that retain edge.. does not need honing. dont have to be resistant cause use everyday at least 6 hours.. and most of all not so expensive that i would cry is someone else use it...

then again with all the crap 10 inch 12 inch victorinox and geisser lying around .... i rather get a stone before a knife..

was NANIWA the "lobster" brand? my mentor used to have a 800# grit micron stone very big one .. brown colour.... i would like that ...

google chinese water stone 12000 grit :
i using this one totally no grinding feeling... slipped and cut my hand twice liao.... bought for 6 dollars at sia huat ... tot i got a bargain..

First, for faster sharpening use diamond sharpener. Diamond sharpeners shave off steel faster.

Second, use something like a DMT diamond sharpener because its small.

Third, i am nvr going to share my knife with another one in the kitchen. but if really to that point, then get something less than 100. The best choice i guess is a VG10 steel knife but those are not cheap too.

Always remember that better steel like vg10 takes a longer time to sharpen.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
the one you've been waiting for - it's here and available

well I received a package today with none other than the much sought after...ZT-Hinderer 0562CF with the super M390 steel :s12::s12::s12:

And now I have two so I'm gonna offer up my extra piece to fellow knife collectors on EDMW here. These are sold out everywhere and have to be pre-ordered, unless you are lucky. I waited 8-9 months for it (can't quite recall) but you don't have to wait. I'm told local dealers are charging >SGD500 for this model but vespaguy is going to pass on the deal so price is firm.

USD285 via paypal, the 5% fees included (paypal is preferred) or SGD400 cash. Box papers all included. The folder is LNIB, taken out to photo and flip. It flips beautifully, is centered, falls shut when unlocked (smoothest production flipper I've handled), has a very nice smooth Cf and the edge is super sharp. It's damn near perfect ;)

Anyways, don't wait too long - PM me if you are interested. Pick up at bukit panjang area.

IMG_2290_zpsmui8tyfr.jpg

IMG_2291_zpsfqchh2go.jpg

IMG_2292_zpszphdrzvd.jpg

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

yes, naniwa is the lobster brand. The brown one is a very rough grit - 800 is for rough sharpening - not enough for polishing/refining the edge but great for veggies and meat (not for sushi or sashimi though). They have a superstone (only for Singapore market) 400/1000grit - but the feel of superstones is different from their normal stones due to the bonding material.

in terms of accessories - not really, you don't need the rubber base (it's only $20), and for the flattening stone - just buy a flat carborundum stone (pls pick a flat one) or just flatten the stone on sandpaper placed on your kitchen countertop. There, I just saved you some money so you can buy my 2000 grit naniwa now :s13:

doel89

Reaction score
whats the cheapest harden VG 10 now? preferably gyuto at 8 inch
san mai clad too

i liked the yaxell mon ran and zen are thoes any good?

btw vespaguy.. i tot the naniwa deluxe micron 1000# was quite fine already.. for industrial use...

today got to chopped 6 roast duck... the victorinox had microchips or bent...
but the 5 star heinkel fares alot better ... both are not mine... my own pollux reserved for tomatoes and bread only ROFL

PS: i figure out my stone liao ... seems to be a C12k or a C-nat natural chinese stone at "12000 grit" manage to get the slurry up this time after i grind the stone with another stone ...

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
whats the cheapest harden VG 10 now? preferably gyuto at 8 inch
san mai clad too

i liked the yaxell mon ran and zen are thoes any good?

btw vespaguy.. i tot the naniwa deluxe micron 1000# was quite fine already.. for industrial use...

today got to chopped 6 roast duck... the victorinox had microchips or bent...
but the 5 star heinkel fares alot better ... both are not mine... my own pollux reserved for tomatoes and bread only ROFL

PS: i figure out my stone liao ... seems to be a C12k or a C-nat natural chinese stone at "12000 grit" manage to get the slurry up this time after i grind the stone with another stone ...

WTF?! 12000 grit?! that is super fine... used by those pros the make knife shine like a mirror but it will take freaking long time to sharpen a knife. Because lower grit shave off steel more than higher grit and lower grit is more coarse.

The reason victorinox has microships is purely because its higher hardness and easily to ship when hit tough things.

The problem is u should use chopper to chop ducks as duck meat are more tough...

mamba2012

Reaction score
WTF?! 12000 grit?! that is super fine... used by those pros the make knife shine like a mirror but it will take freaking long time to sharpen a knife. Because lower grit shave off steel more than higher grit and lower grit is more coarse.

The reason victorinox has microships is purely because its higher hardness and easily to ship when hit tough things.

The problem is u should use chopper to chop ducks as duck meat are more tough...

China's "12000 grit" may not be the same grit as a naniwa/shapton stone... I highly doubt it's 12000. A naniwa 12k stone is about 100+ dollars.

Kachangputay

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have here a brous mini division flipper up for sale, need to move this piece to make room for more knives. 300 USD online, but im letting it go for 300SGD. What is forex?! post count's too low to post pics, so if you're interested, pm me and i'll send you some pics via email! This blade's not really mini, considering it has a 3.5" blade. No issues with the blade, never seen any cutting or sharpening time, only for me to see see touch touch.

More info about the blade:

Overall Length:8.30"
Blade Length:3.50"
Blade Thickness:0.19"
Blade Material:D2
Finish:Satin
Edge Type:plain
Handle Length:4.80"
Handle Thickness:0.67"
Handle Material:G-10
Color:Black
Frame/Liner:Stainless Steel
Weight:5.65 oz.

Feel free to PM with any questions you have! Happy collecting folks!

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
decided to snap some pics of my blades - ZT Hinderer 0562CF slicer with the delicious M390 blade, a Barbudo puukko with a sanmai blade and African wenge handle and a 10 year old French douk-douk with a nice underlying story. Decided to take my para 2 out from storage to give it a once over too.

Enjoy.

IMG_2294_zpsnbhqnrvv.jpg

IMG_2293_zpsr0ixghhq.jpg

IMG_2295_zpscudxqvyt.jpg

IMG_2296_zpss9z8z4uo.jpg

IMG_2285_zps80e35194.jpg

IMG_2284_zps153ecffa.jpg

Ps: All of the knives are looking for new homes. The 0562CF, Barbudo puukko-leuku set. the 204P Para2 with the spaceman ti deep carry clip are all reasonably priced. The kifaru x-ray pack is also available - and the Chelsea boots are either free (if you buy the x-ray) or $50. Used but still has some nice life left - Made In Italy too :)

doel89

Reaction score

Western kitchen dun have cleaver... but then again the chinese side has cleaver with very obvious burs... yet it cuts so fine

khimwoon

Reaction score
decided to snap some pics of my blades - ZT Hinderer 0562CF slicer with the delicious M390 blade, a Barbudo puukko with a sanmai blade and African wenge handle and a 10 year old French douk-douk with a nice underlying story. Decided to take my para 2 out from storage to give it a once over too.

Enjoy.

IMG_2294_zpsnbhqnrvv.jpg

IMG_2293_zpsr0ixghhq.jpg

IMG_2295_zpscudxqvyt.jpg

IMG_2296_zpss9z8z4uo.jpg

IMG_2285_zps80e35194.jpg

IMG_2284_zps153ecffa.jpg

Ps: All of the knives are looking for new homes. The 0562CF, Barbudo puukko-leuku set. the 204P Para2 with the spaceman ti deep carry clip are all reasonably priced. The kifaru x-ray pack is also available - and the Chelsea boots are either free (if you buy the x-ray) or $50. Used but still has some nice life left - Made In Italy too :)

All lovely knives. How nice if the 562 could have its ZT logo removed. Perfect stealth!

slowstatic

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the small DMT diamond sharpener... Not for the violent ppl. The handle can break easily because its flimsy. But good for sharpening!

OR u can buy from dealextreme those sharpeners that copy american makers.

Looks good but i havent got one yet. Professional Fix-angle 4 Stones Version II Kitchen Knife Sharpener System (SKU 325069) - DX Offers - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Thanks, I am looking at DMT sharpeners but they are very exp.
Currently looking at the duo sided Coarse and fine 10" stone..
Costs S$200 :(

right now, I am looking at Quartermaster folding knives
Any comments?

mamba2012

Reaction score
Thanks, I am looking at DMT sharpeners but they are very exp.
Currently looking at the duo sided Coarse and fine 10" stone..
Costs S$200 :(

right now, I am looking at Quartermaster folding knives
Any comments?

Yes. They blatantly rip off other makers'knife designs. If u want to get a quartermaster as a keeper, to each his own. But if u hope to sell it off one day... Then this is a horrible choice.

A Spyderco /zt would suit your needs much better. I'd recommend the ever popular zt 0801. It's all around one of the most value for money production knives out there period. A quick google search will reveal why.

alantcy

Reaction score
Anybody need a Pelican?

I have a model 1450. Pristine condition, with the exception that I've plucked out various holes to slot the knives in.
However I've retained most of the loose foam pieces so the new owner will be able to reconfigure as he/she pleases.
The whole insert can also be removed as well, revealing a flat base foam for more storage space.

Handsome and tough looking in bright yellow.
Guaranteed to be the first the thing the police checks out when they enter your room.

(PM for price - sold to a good buddy!)

tMggp7m.jpg

xtqkNLT.jpg

yjmCOto.jpg

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.