Electric skateboard is catching on

ArcBoardsEV

Reaction score
Haha.. thanks! Appreciate the kind words :)

Agree on the need for a forum for PMD's in general! We'll see what we can do!

p.s. ArcBoardsEV was still available!

pettypoh

Reaction score
A newbie at electric skateboarding here, but thought I'll try to revive this thread.

Bought a Acton Blink Lite last month from Amazon, total cost is US$200+US$80 overseas shipping= S$400, and tried it out for the first time yesterday. Except for 1 incident where I fell of the back of the board and used my right leg to brace my fall (slightly sprained my knee and ankle ouch!), everything was smooth.

Some background: Last Saturday was my first time on a skateboard, electric or otherwise, but I picked it up rather quickly because I used to snowboard a few years ago and balancing wise, it's quite similar. A total newbie might need more time to pick it up. I still don't dare to go too fast though ;)

First impressions of the Acton Blink Lite: For a S$400 eboard from a recognizeable brand, I can't complain much. Build quality is very good, weight is the lightest I can find for an eboard. Since it uses only 1 hub motor, and not the most powerful at that, the incline climbing ability leaves alot to be desired.

Speed and acceleration on flat ground is more than sufficient for a noob like me.

Remote is ok, but you can't control the speed and acceleration, it's either go (push up), cut off acceleration (let go), or brake (push down). As a result, the acceleration and especially the braking, is very abrupt and not smooth, a problem if you want to accelerate or brake downhill.

Pricewise and specs wise, this seems like the perfect board for a beginner but the sudden braking can throw newbies off easily.

Yesterday I met up with the local eboard company Arcboard EV to try out their first Arc board and the latest 121C board on KS. The experience (and of course price) is worlds apart from my Blink Lite.

First impression of the penny Arc Board: First off, I wasn't used to the remote coming from the Blink Lite. The Arc remote is very sensitive, allowing me to control my acceleration and braking very very well. First time I didn't know that and pushed it all the way. The sudden acceleration and braking gave me a shock. But once I knew how to use it, I was able to move well. However, due to the small size of the Arc Board, my comfort speed is quite low.

First impression of the 121C Arc Board: Remote wise, it's identical to the penny, so the acceleration and braking is top notch, and with its larger size, I was able to go much faster too. Compared to my Blink Lite and penny Arc, this is definitely more fun.

I'm now seriously hopping on to the Kickstarter for the 121C Arc board. But for someone who is complaining about the price, this is how I look at it:

121C Arc board is S$1,200 if I get the buddy pack.

S$1,200 - S$100 (overseas shipping) = S$1,100 / 1.07 (7% GST) = S$1,028 / 1.45 (approx ex rate) = US$709.

And what better option do you have at US$709?

There is the Blink S at US$699, but single hub motor and less power, less range, AND it's heavier (wtf?)

The Yuneec E Go 2 is also at US$699, longer range but less power and heavier weight.

Lastly, don't forget that Arc Board is Singapore based. If your board has any issue, even outside warranty, it's easier to bring it to Arc directly to have it check out compared to shipping the board overseas (another S$100...)

Hope this post can generate more interest in electric skateboard in Singapore!

i agree, actually i bought my e-wheelin skateboard directly from taobao (i believe it's the same china OEM manufacturer for acton) before i knew about this local company Arcboards.

it was only when i went to one of the car free sunday outing that i saw them riding and thought *wow* there's actually a community of e-skateboarders around?!

i've met up and skateboarded with them many times, it's great to see a SG team in this field and i think that having the local support is really a benefit that is much better than getting a board from US, Australia or China

xuan87

Reaction score
I found a seller for a near new Arc Board gen 1 at a good price, will go collect it on Friday. Am also a backer for the gen 2, guess you can call me a fanboy :D

Hoping to buy a few chinese boards over the rest of the year just to test how good they are for their relatively attractive prices. I've identified a few penny sized (27") ones. Will be good if my feedback and "reviews" can encourage others to dip their toes in electric skateboarding by trying out cheaper boards first.

adwinho

Reaction score
I found a seller for a near new Arc Board gen 1 at a good price, will go collect it on Friday. Am also a backer for the gen 2, guess you can call me a fanboy :D

Hoping to buy a few chinese boards over the rest of the year just to test how good they are for their relatively attractive prices. I've identified a few penny sized (27") ones. Will be good if my feedback and "reviews" can encourage others to dip their toes in electric skateboarding by trying out cheaper boards first.

You might wanna check out this kickstarter project by Lou Boards, seems quite promising.

How is the acton blink lite holding up? Quite interested to get one to try as my first board. Never skateboarded before so a newbie haha.

xuan87

Reaction score
You might wanna check out this kickstarter project by Lou Boards, seems quite promising.

How is the acton blink lite holding up? Quite interested to get one to try as my first board. Never skateboarded before so a newbie haha.

My Acton Blink Lite hasn't seen much use, probably less than 10km but I will not recommend you to buy one. For my short review of the board, you can read my earlier post. For my recommendations of what other boards you can consider, read on...

For the best learning experience, I really feel that the Arc board 121c board (currently on KS with less than 1 day to go) is the best board to learn with. The controller is very sensitive so you can really control your speed, very useful when you're still new and green and don't want sudden acceleration and brakes. Trust me, you'll really appreciate the amount of control you have over the speed and braking of the board. It's also pretty large and light, so easy to carry around and easy for you to learn your balance. The additional bonus is that it's locally made, so super convenient for repair and maintenance should you need it.

Personally, I see 4 scenarios for a potential electric skateboard owner:
1) You are a newbie, you don't know if an electric skateboard is right for you, so you want a cheap board: Get a China clone board from Taobao.
They are cheaper than most of the "branded" boards out there which are actually just rebranded China boards anyway. I can get one for S$300 shipped with better specs than my Acton blink lite, which will cost you about US$300 plus US$80 in international shipping. I don't consider warranty because either way, it will cost you $100 and more to ship it back to the US or China etc...

2) You want a super portable board for your last mile solution: Get the 1st gen Arc Board.
It's small yet powerful, on the lower end of the price range AND has local warranty support. Plus it is probably one of the best designed board out there with amazing speed control. No other option comes close IMO.

3) You want a balance between portability and rideability: Get the 2nd gen Arc Board 121C
It's relatively light, it's powerful, it's one of the smaller boards out there (smaller than longboards), the speed control is amazing and same as no 2, it has local warranty. I can not stress this advantage enough.

4) You want a powerful board with the best cruising ability and range: Get an electric longboard, I'll probably go with Evolve but there are alot of options out there.

To put my money where my mouth is, I'm a backer for the Arc Board 121c, and currently looking for an used Arc board 1st gen, the former for weekend riding, and the latter for daily last-mile riding.

EDIT: Oh and to add about Lou Boards, I've found out that it's just a rebranded Winboard. Nothing wrong with that, but I rather just get a Winboard direct. I've spoken to them about the GT-M1 and M3, not too ex, but abit too pricey right now for experiment boards.

Last edited:

yotsuga

Reaction score
This is interesting. Anyone who has electric skateboard issues that they don't mind sharing? Saw a couple of videos but were all overseas. Anyone has problems with LTA? Police? Or issue with the road or pavement they skating?

xuan87

Reaction score
I'll share my experiences from the perspective of a newbie skateboarder, in order to give newcomers and wannabes an idea of what to expect.

I started off with a 30" board and recently started on Arc Boards' 22" board. Generally, the longer the board, the easier it is to ride and the faster you can go before you start to feel unsteady. That's why longboards are so popular overseas where there are plenty of open space.

I could get used to the 30" board pretty easily, probably thanks to my past experience in snowboarding. The 22" board is much harder to get used to and I will probably need alot more practice before I'm comfortable with it.

Road wise, with my converse chuck, I can feel every single vibration from rough/less smooth tar roads. However, with my reebok gym shoes (plenty of cushions), it helps to absorb most of the vibrations. Night and day differences.

Anything less than a smooth unbroken road will prompt some anxiety in me as I'm still getting used to my board. Examples include humps, transition from road to pavements, large cracks, those small humps on pavements to discourage cycling etc.

I haven't bumped into any LTA yet but I think as long as you're travelling at a reasonable speed on pavements (i can't go fast on my Arc yet anyway and I don't want to kill myself by skating on the main road), you'll be fine. I think my current speed is like a fast jog to sprinting speed.

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When I backed blink S, the local arc board aren't selling and they don't have the bigger one that I want. However, I'm already invested in blink S so will skip arc for now unfortunately. Just no fate that the timing wasn't right.

xuan87

Reaction score
When I backed blink S, the local arc board aren't selling and they don't have the bigger one that I want. However, I'm already invested in blink S so will skip arc for now unfortunately. Just no fate that the timing wasn't right.

Do you know when the blink S will ship out to you?

Also have you tried asking for a chargeback from your credit card company? I know many people are doing that and documenting the process on reddit.

Huge hate war on Acton ongoing over there lol.

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you know when the blink S will ship out to you?

Also have you tried asking for a chargeback from your credit card company? I know many people are doing that and documenting the process on reddit.

Huge hate war on Acton ongoing over there lol.
Yea I was one of them, I kpkb until they ship me my board already, a lot of singapore backers have got it now.

But at the price point, I think Arc board really no fight. Acton wins hands down.

The other board I am now interested in is Lou board.

xuan87

Reaction score
Yea I was one of them, I kpkb until they ship me my board already, a lot of singapore backers have got it now.

But at the price point, I think Arc board really no fight. Acton wins hands down.

The other board I am now interested in is Lou board.

Interesting! I have the Blink Lite and the braking is really CMI, bordering on dangerous but I've read that they have improved it for the S and S2.

I'm abit skeptical on how powerful the S is but no way to tell until I can test it out.

You should join the local eskate group one day! I'm sure alot of people are also interested in the Blink S.

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting! I have the Blink Lite and the braking is really CMI, bordering on dangerous but I've read that they have improved it for the S and S2.

I'm abit skeptical on how powerful the S is but no way to tell until I can test it out.

You should join the local eskate group one day! I'm sure alot of people are also interested in the Blink S.
I'm in the Acton eboard Singapore group in facebook.

xuan87

Reaction score
I didn't know there is an Acton Singapore facebook group haha. I'm in a general all brand electric skateboard Singapore facebook group.

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there is an Acton Singapore facebook group haha. I'm in a general all brand electric skateboard Singapore facebook group.
What's the group called? I ask them to all join.

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mananged to get it approved? Let me know if you need help.

Seems like there will be another group ride this weekend, but the details are not out yet.
Yea joined already, also sent to acton group to join.

But this weekend I cannot ride. Don't know the rest of acton can ride or not, think most in SG got their acton board liao after everyone chase them together.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.