Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Suggestions for a hobby

Like Tree2Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #16
Master Member

exp leh.. and put at home will collect a lot dust.. how much are the figurines? have to paint yourself kind?
If you're into productive hobbies and don't mind picking up useful stuff, you could easily head into development and/or modification of software/pc games as a past time.

As most people wouldn't see it as a past time, there is some that does. Also if you don't mind the steep learning curve (and I mean it) you can try it out with some simple and free game creators out there or even try modding existing games. They might be hard to learn, but you should be able to get the hang of it within a month or so.

But if you already have some programming background, I suppose you can easily jump into it like I did with c# and c++. Nothing too difficult if you're able to find a half decent game library to work with, such as Allegro. Besides if you develop a really good game, you might see yourself working for major game companies or selling your ideas to them.

Most big companies are now looking for indies to develop and test ideas before incorporating them into triple A titles such as Crysis anyway.
Old 22-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #17

If you're into productive hobbies and don't mind picking up useful stuff, you could easily head into development and/or modification of software/pc games as a past time.

As most people wouldn't see it as a past time, there is some that does. Also if you don't mind the steep learning curve (and I mean it) you can try it out with some simple and free game creators out there or even try modding existing games. They might be hard to learn, but you should be able to get the hang of it within a month or so.

But if you already have some programming background, I suppose you can easily jump into it like I did with c# and c++. Nothing too difficult if you're able to find a half decent game library to work with, such as Allegro. Besides if you develop a really good game, you might see yourself working for major game companies or selling your ideas to them.

Most big companies are now looking for indies to develop and test ideas before incorporating them into triple A titles such as Crysis anyway.
u create games? cool leh.. why not you send me your games..i can help you play them and give you feedback..that shall be my new past time! hehehe.
zakkieez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #18

Hmm how to explain..

Basically, Gun-pla(abbreviation for Gundam Plastic which means Gundam Model Kits), are categorised into a few diff grades, a few of the common ones are Super Deformed(SD), High Grade(HG), Real Grade(RG), Master Grade(MG), Perfect Grade(PG) and Mega Size.
From cheapest and smallest size to most expensive and biggest size..
Different prices for each of them due to different sizes and different articulations..

Say for example, you start this hobby, you could try the SD kits 1st which costs a whooping SGD$5~$13 each box, depending on the location you got it from..

And probably after that, you can go for the higher grades kits, or simply stay at the SD stage if u love cute litte robots, some of which depicts a character from 三國演义..

Anyway, if any bros here interested in finding out more about this hobby, you're welcome to come join in our chit chat thread here..
Gundam Modeling Official thread - Part 2

Have fun~~
looks cool..i will browse more on that thread then... you have any of your most proud collection to show?
Old 22-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #19

how about chess playing????
stel wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #20
Supremacy Member

looks cool..i will browse more on that thread then... you have any of your most proud collection to show?

lol sad to say bro..
i myself am a beginner too lol..
learnt alot from the bros over at the Gundam thread though.. and a few other forums...

most proud collection i dun dare to say..
but a cute one i do have.. a Gundam Bear to be exact lol..
did it for my mum and my wife haha..

Ignore the silly ribbon though.. the 2 women in my house felt it look cuter with the ribbon on lol...

And here's a pic of its eyes lighting up which i modded LEDs into..

Liang32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #21

liang32: really quite very de cute leh.. the ribbon very chinese new year..you try xmas put santa hat then post on forum, sure the 2 women +1 you.. how much is that? did you paint the colors yourself? take how long to do..maybe i go try try buy one also since really need hobby.. so you beginner..you start to sian already or not?
Old 23-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #22

how about chess playing????
play chinese chess PCC? this one inborn nature...is all men's hobby..included since birth, comes in a package with the manhood.
rather i should say it is a necessity..
Old 23-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #23
Supremacy Member

liang32: really quite very de cute leh.. the ribbon very chinese new year..you try xmas put santa hat then post on forum, sure the 2 women +1 you.. how much is that? did you paint the colors yourself? take how long to do..maybe i go try try buy one also since really need hobby.. so you beginner..you start to sian already or not?

haha lol thnx bro..

the Bearguy itself costs around $30, might be a few dollars more if u go to Takashimaya or other shopping centres..
colours are airbrushed by myself ya..

took around 2days coz i am noob in LED wiring.. had to figure out where to drill holes to hide the wires and such hahaha....

Definitely not sian bro..
I am beginner in Gunpla.. but have started "playing" with plastic model kits since primary school.. Tamiya motorbikes, cars, battleships u name it lol...

In face i'm loving it more and more everyday..

play chinese chess PCC? this one inborn nature...is all men's hobby..included since birth, comes in a package with the manhood.
rather i should say it is a necessity..
Old 24-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #24

haha lol thnx bro..

the Bearguy itself costs around $30, might be a few dollars more if u go to Takashimaya or other shopping centres..
colours are airbrushed by myself ya..

took around 2days coz i am noob in LED wiring.. had to figure out where to drill holes to hide the wires and such hahaha....

Definitely not sian bro..
I am beginner in Gunpla.. but have started "playing" with plastic model kits since primary school.. Tamiya motorbikes, cars, battleships u name it lol...

In face i'm loving it more and more everyday..

cheaper than i thought..i thought at least like 100+ kind.. do you build your own glass cabinet display? it'd be quite cool to have those in your room show casing it.. maybe this weekend i pop by taka see look..which shop is it? do they teach beginners? i lazy read the thread you gave me hohoho, too long...endless..
Old 24-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #25
Supremacy Member

cheaper than i thought..i thought at least like 100+ kind.. do you build your own glass cabinet display? it'd be quite cool to have those in your room show casing it.. maybe this weekend i pop by taka see look..which shop is it? do they teach beginners? i lazy read the thread you gave me hohoho, too long...endless..
lol yea bro.. i myself am lazy to read thru the pages sometimes..
thats the 3rd thread created for us... 1st one had over 5k pages lol..

anyway, no.. i dont build my own glass shelf.. planning to get one detolf shelf from Ikea.. something like this...

Gundam Modeling Official thread - Part 2

you can go to Sunshine Plaza, walking distance from either Bugis or Douby Guat MRT...
theres a shop called Hobby Art Gallery there.. they are very nice ppl and will definitely give a beginner a pointer or two.. they do provide lessons too.. but i'm not sure of their rates coz i nvr join the classes before..

go there soon bro.. lots of masterpieces displayed on the cabinet..
Old 28-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #26

Okay I've already done the most common stuff like fishing, gaming like world of Warcraft, cycling, golf, skateboarding, board games with friends, LAN

Recently have been clubbing and spending like an idiot... It's unhealthy and I really need a hobby besides just work and my girlfriend...

Any suggestions??

Nothing sporty cause I hate sweating. Nothing too expensive either...

Man Singapore is boring as
you should try Painting.. it's inexpensive and surely you won't break a sweat.. also, once you've made enough paintings you can sell them at galleries
dskjt1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #27

you should try Painting.. it's inexpensive and surely you won't break a sweat.. also, once you've made enough paintings you can sell them at galleries
painting siol! you paint? sell to high end galleries? must be the abstract and surreal kind sell better money tio boh.. share some of your paintings here leh bro
Old 09-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

we are an RC group that plays 1/14 Tamiya Semi-Trucks. Meet up 1 Sunday each month, usually the first sunday. We meet in Woodlands together with the Woodlands Underground Drift in the same venue.

check out our FB page in my signature.

RCHH FB Group Page <- Refer to FB Page for Meetup details

Jack_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #29

we are an RC group that plays 1/14 Tamiya Semi-Trucks. Meet up 1 Sunday each month, usually the first sunday. We meet in Woodlands together with the Woodlands Underground Drift in the same venue.

they have this in east coast park too right?
Old 13-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

Always wanted one of these 1/14 RC trucks but quite exp... $8xx ++ for one.....
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.