Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

almightyad

Reaction score
my experience with Midea

inverter system 3 from courts installed in 31 may 2012.
2 stop cooling now :(

about the aircon
there are 4 modes, auto, cool, dry, fan
if you lower the temperature on cool, you will hear some noises.
normally it is quite one and cold enough for a 4NG GDB flat's master bedroom.
It is cheap but better choose Japanese brand if you can afford.

richard_lim

Reaction score
Hi need some advise, my MBR blower unit yesterday started blowing normal air instead of cold air. Went to do some research online and tested all my blowers and the outdoor unit. The outdoor unit's will hum and shuts off after 5 sec when i switch my MBR blower unit on but for my other blower the outdoor unit will operate normally and blows cold air. So it could be capacitor or compressor.

Today got a aircon repair company to come down check and he tested by changing capacitor and the problem persist and concluded that the compressor for the MBR blower gone case need to change.

Here is the advise i need. The tech told me my (coming 3yr old) samsung sys compressor has 5 year compressor warranty but samsung will carrot me on the labour and transportation charges even though compressor free.

So what wanted to know how much probably samsung will carrot me and whether are there other alternatives such as repair company changing the compressor or whether changing the outdoor unit or buying recon?

Hope to keep the price / cost down, budget quite tight. Thanks in advance!

2 things!
The fact that the other rooms are cold means the compressor itself is working fine.

What usually happens is the valve that directs coolant to the correct fan-coil/room is kaput.

However, in your case, since the compressor itself shutdown, seems to indicate a control problem - aka the dreaded motherboard problem. For some reason, most motherboards are NEVER in stock => necessitating a complete compressor replacement.

Question: If you turn on the MBR as well as another room, does the compressor turn off?

This happened this year to my six-mth old Samsung - finally got the compressor changed FOC as it was less than 1 year old.

From my experience, the usually going rate for 'labor' under warranty is around $500, regardless of which company it comes from (my last bill was from Daikin). Could be higher now (inflation).

Let us know how it goes.
:s22:

Last edited:

ABuNeNe

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone using a single split aircon? Want to know the monthly electricity bill to consider changing my single window unit as my monthly electricity bill is more then $150+ when used.

ice_kacang

Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing my existing 10 year old National air cond with a Panasonic system 3. Cannot decide between inverter or conventional system. My priority is reliability as I did not have any problem with the existing unit after all these years until now. I understand inverter system can be cheaper in terms of electricity bill, but how reliable is the system and is the temperature regulation as good the conventional system? Appreciate the feedback.

terumo

Reaction score
to ice_kacang,

Inverter should be able to save 20-30% based on similar usage patterns.
Temp regulation, should be more comfortable as compressor can run @ different speeds instead of fixed speed for conventional system.

ice_kacang

Reaction score
to ice_kacang,

Inverter should be able to save 20-30% based on similar usage patterns.
Temp regulation, should be more comfortable as compressor can run @ different speeds instead of fixed speed for conventional system.

Thanks for the feedback. Also thumbs up to your blog, very informative indeed. By the way, what's your opinion on getting the installer to do pressure testing to the refrigerant pipe after installation. I check with Gain City and they quoted additional $300.

My existing air cond piping is concealed by the built in cabinets and the replacement system will be using the same routing, though I intend to change the entire trunking and piping system as part of the replacement. The previous installer did a very good job as there was absolutely no leak for the past 10 years. Not sure how's the workmanship these days though.....

terumo

Reaction score
If you want, do the pressure test before installation.
If test results is positive, u can use back your existing pipes.
If negative, then change the rooms (pipes) which are leaking.
Thanks for your comments on my blog.

ice_kacang

Reaction score
If you want, do the pressure test before installation.
If test results is positive, u can use back your existing pipes.
If negative, then change the rooms (pipes) which are leaking.
Thanks for your comments on my blog.

thanks for the advice.

ahchek

Reaction score
Hi terumo,

Got the quote for System 4 as below, is the price reasonable? Any better materials from their supplied? Your kind advise please. Thanks

To supply and install one set of “Mitsubishi Electric” R410 multi split inverter aircon

M/N: MXY4A28/MSYGE10 x 3/MSYGE26 (Hall @ 24,225 BTU) @$4170

To supply and install the airconditioners with G23 copper pipe not exceed 15m per fan coil unit, upgrade to ½ thick Class O thermaflex for indoor gas pipe unit and Class 1 black rubber insuflex for outdoor gas pipe unit, Singapore Keystone cable, 16mm pvc pipe, pvc trunking and stainless steel bracket.

Under renovation will provide two trips – 1s trip run pipe & site discussion, 2nd trip – install aircon

Kooosh

Reaction score
Looking for a 4:1 or a 5:1 (haven't decided) energy saving air-conditioning unit for my home. Any recommendations? I saw a few posts in the first page saying 1.8-2k can get including installation.

How about removing of previous unit? Does installation "pao" together?

How much does it cost to hire someone to remove previous old/spoilt unit?

Edit: Is it possible to have my old unit removed if there are air-conditioning pipes running behind in-built wardrobes? If it is possible, how much would it cost?

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
Max sys 4 inverter @ the moment.
No more sys 5.
$2k, i think cant get sys 4 inverter. Maybe sys 3 non inverter.

Toiozz

Reaction score
Any recommendations for sys 3 non-inverter

Hi, I am planning to get a Sys 3 non-inverter for my rooms. Have to go for non-inverter due to budget (around 2k).

So far, the posts mostly mentioned inverter models and brands. Can I seek your comments on which sys 3 non-inverter brand / model is good / reliable / value for money please?

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

frizee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can recommend a Sys 3 Inverter for my 4-Room HDB? Not planning to install in Living Room.

ahchek

Reaction score
to ahcek,

Quote seems reasonable.
Whats ur square area for your hall?

Hi terumo,

a) My hall area is around 46sqm. So, is 24K BTU good enough?

b) The contractor told me that MSYGE26 is 26K BTU? But, I heard other shop said MSYGE26 is just 24K BTU. Your advise please.

c) For the insulation, is ½ inch thick Class O thermaflex for indoor gas pipe unit a MUST? My contractor said using ½inch thick will resulted the trunking be 4inch wide, true? He said 3/8 inch is good enough.

d) Class 1 black rubber insuflex better than Armaflex?

Hope to hear your expert advise please.

Thanks.

terumo

Reaction score
to ahchek,

a. 24k btu is just nice.

b. Ge26 is around 24k btu. +/- 2k btu is ok. Some people will refer it as 26k btu due to the model number.

c. Using 1/2 insulation will result in bigger trunking. True.
3/8 is enough, if you r worried about condensation/sweating issues, then you may upgrade to 1/2.
1/2 insulation is usually used if the piping is above false ceiling or concealed in wall.

d. IMO, Armaflex is one of the better insulation available. Class 1 is good enough.

gohlex

Reaction score
hi all,

is the $2699 for Panasonic Inverter System 3 (CU3S27MKZ/ CSS9NKZW x 3) a gd deal?

include:
1. GST
2. 2 trip installation
3. Armaflex 1/2 Inches Class 1 Insulation/ G23 Copper Pipe/ 16mm drainage pvc pipe.
4. 1year warranty for worksmanship & air-con equipments. 5 years warranty for compressor
5. Dismantle and disposal exisitng aircon.

I saw gaincity website listed the same model for $2599, but not sure what piping and insulation size they used though?

ahchek

Reaction score
to ahchek,

a. 24k btu is just nice.

b. Ge26 is around 24k btu. +/- 2k btu is ok. Some people will refer it as 26k btu due to the model number.

c. Using 1/2 insulation will result in bigger trunking. True.
3/8 is enough, if you r worried about condensation/sweating issues, then you may upgrade to 1/2.
1/2 insulation is usually used if the piping is above false ceiling or concealed in wall.

d. IMO, Armaflex is one of the better insulation available. Class 1 is good enough.

Thanks terumo.

Pertaining on 1/2 insulation, why is it so the trunking would be 4" as 3/8 and 1/2 is only different of 1/8in? portion of my trunking would be above false ceiling. Is it very critical for condensation/sweating issues on 3/8?

Sorry to keep asking as I just to ensure I wouldn't face much problem later.

Thanks.

missyevo

Reaction score
my outdoor pcb board is damaged, so i was told to buy a new one.. i ordered it and collected it - now i need a aircon fixer to help me put it in..

anyone got lobang?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.