Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
aircon just pick the popular Japanese brands then the rest see luck already.
their diff is pricing and after sales service support
every brand also got people said good and bad.
same brand some people make noise spoil after warranty but also some said more than 10yrs no problem.

caniggia

Reaction score
If I were to replace my aircon, do i need to even change the wiring? Or just redo trunking for gas and water?

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
best change everything
you never know what will fail down the road if you choose to keep the old installation.
might cause you more headaches and money

Last edited:

TigerzBeer

Reaction score
I realise there isn't many recommendations for Toshiba aircon?

any problems with Toshiba so far anyone?

My first aircon in the home was Toshiba. It's been good and lasted 10 years. Only on the 5th or 6th year then need repair.

The installer that do my installation last yr gave good reviews on Toshiba aircon as its compressor was made in Japan that's why more exp compare to the rest.

You may want to research a bit more :p

continuum

Reaction score
I just installed the Mitsubishi Electric's 5 tick System 3 aircon (MXY-3G28VA) with MSXY-FJ13VE (12k BTU) for master bedroom and 2 x MSXY-FJ10VE (9k BTU) for common bedrooms.

The master bedroom aircon takes a very, very long time to cool the room (several hours) if all 3 bedrooms use aircon. If only 2 rooms use the aircon, it's fine.

I'll call Gain City to see if anything can be done, e.g. give priority to master bedroom. My flat is the old flat with unupgraded power loading.

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
I just installed the Mitsubishi Electric's 5 tick System 3 aircon (MXY-3G28VA) with MSXY-FJ13VE (12k BTU) for master bedroom and 2 x MSXY-FJ10VE (9k BTU) for common bedrooms.

The master bedroom aircon takes a very, very long time to cool the room (several hours) if all 3 bedrooms use aircon. If only 2 rooms use the aircon, it's fine.

I'll call Gain City to see if anything can be done, e.g. give priority to master bedroom. My flat is the old flat with unupgraded power loading.

how much it cost total?

orange_20

Reaction score
My first aircon in the home was Toshiba. It's been good and lasted 10 years. Only on the 5th or 6th year then need repair.

The installer that do my installation last yr gave good reviews on Toshiba aircon as its compressor was made in Japan that's why more exp compare to the rest.

You may want to research a bit more :p

ahhhh glad to hear that. I've already decided on the less travelled road, that is Toshiba. lol. :o

continuum

Reaction score
can share review of your 5 tick? loud etc?
The compressor is right outside my bedroom. Once every hour or so, the compressor runs and it sounds like a motorbike being started in a far away distance (like maybe 300-400 metres away?).

The noise is very faint; more like white noise in the background. But even if I cover my ears with my pillows, I can still hear it, maybe even louder because of the vibration or something.

I'm not sure if I'll ever know about the energy saving from the 5-tick rating.

good price. You bought from gain city?
Yup. From Gain City @ Westgate. So far my experience was good from sales to installation. Too early for me to know about their after sales service.

Last edited:

Xpressworks

Reaction score
do surveys for vouchers

We are giving out $100 NTUC voucher to those who want to participate in the Air-con Consumption Study. To qualify, you need to have an aircon installed and fall under any of the following categories: (A) aircon installed before year 2008 and have no intention to replace; (B) replaced aircon January 2015 or later; (C) have intention to change aircon in the next 6 months. If you are interested, kindly call 85988014 and ask for dorcas. She will share with you more details about this study. Thank you and wish you a wonderful day!

noinimod

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Technically.. should expect slower cooling down if you on all 3 at the same time since total (12+9+9= 30) when the compressor is rated for 28. I don't know if it's normal to take that much longer time though.

What you can do is to on only master bedroom first. Once that room is cool and stable, then turn on air con in the other 2 rooms. Should be a lot faster

ipaq4444

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was pondering between Starmex and Mit Heavy(MHI) last year. Was finally convinced by the installer to go for MHI as lower electric bill, auto cleaning function and slight cheaper price.

I asked the worker that came to install which is better aircon in the market since he did so many installation. He said reliable brand that often seen are good, dun go for EuropAce, Minea or new brand. Though they source the jap parts but not as reliable.

Do you find your MHI not so cold?

Jmathew1108

Reaction score
To be honest, why do so many people want the latest models. The old 2 ticks starmex has been serving well in so many homes for number of years, the old daikin inverter model even longer and 2 ticks Panasonic been doing ok so far. Now seeing the new 5 ticks starmex is noisy and less powerful and the saw the video of the new Panasonic with nanoeg problem. Sometimes i think stick to the tried and tested stuff is always best. As the saying goes, why fix something that isn't broken.

Also aircon is aircon, whether 2 or 5 ticks there is still going to be a big difference in your bill compared to a non air con user. The only way to effectively save is to cut down on your aircon usage.

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
To be honest, why do so many people want the latest models. The old 2 ticks starmex has been serving well in so many homes for number of years, the old daikin inverter model even longer and 2 ticks Panasonic been doing ok so far. Now seeing the new 5 ticks starmex is noisy and less powerful and the saw the video of the new Panasonic with nanoeg problem. Sometimes i think stick to the tried and tested stuff is always best. As the saying goes, why fix something that isn't broken.

Also aircon is aircon, whether 2 or 5 ticks there is still going to be a big difference in your bill compared to a non air con user. The only way to effectively save is to cut down on your aircon usage.

When i bought mine panasonic new model it was on promotion, price was similar to old 2 tick.

stoichiometry

Reaction score
Hi All,

Am considering Starmex and the YORK system 4 (4 ticks) advertised on coolworld.

It is $1400 cheaper than starmex sys 4(5 tick).

I have been to a number of offices and most of them are running on YORK aircon, seemed like an established brand with reliable machines?

Would like to ask if anyone would like to share their experience with YORK air con units? Heard its very popular in Malaysia as well.

Please share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.