Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachee

Reaction score
My contractor quoted me: I dun hv the model #s
Mitsubishi starmex inverter:

Option 1:
System 3: 18k BTU living, 9k MBR, 12k BR1(2 rooms hack into 1, so its bigger than MBR) @$3.6k

Option 2: 2 compressors since we requested our pref
Compressor 1: System 2: 12k MBR, 12k BR1
Compressor 2: 1 single unit 18k @$4.6k

are the quotes reasonable?

Hi, you need the models for price comparison. System 3 StarMex has different models with very great price differences.

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
To JAPDestiny,

This should be the 2 ticks series based on the pricing.

Option 2 seems a bit over priced.

AReality

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I really need help choosing between these 2 air cons.

LG System 3
Mit Starmex Sys 3

Both are the newest model with 5 ticks.

I looked thru all the bad reviews online, and seems like LG got more bad reviews. But, there's a promo for LG now, $300 grocery voucher.

Which one will give me less trouble in future?

thecat21

Reaction score
Dropped by gain city today and wanted to find sys3, here are the best 2 options that I found (5 ticks for aircon unit and inverter) :

LG Health Plus System 3 Inverter
A4UQ26GFA2
09GDBA2 x 3

$3359sgd

Mistubishi System 3 Inverter
MXY3G28VA(CU)
MSXYFJ10VE x 3

$3579

(Still green to aircon choosing ;)

JAPDestiny

Reaction score
To JAPDestiny,

This should be the 2 ticks series based on the pricing.

Option 2 seems a bit over priced.

I chked with contractor, it is indeed 2 ticks!
I'm confused, tot all Mitsui Starmex Sys 3 are 5 ticks?
His aircon contact said he dun do 5 ticks cos many problems, he doesn't want to come back again and again. :s11:

Will buy on my own probably fr gain city..

Otherp

Reaction score
Hi bros and aircon experts here,

Seeking advice on cooling 1 large living room, HDB flat. There is only space for 1 outdoor compressor unit. Common usage pattern: 12 hours every night once we come home from work till morning when we leave the house. Typical temp should be around 24/25degs, with a 1 or 2 hour period of 18-20degs when there are more people or doing exercises.

My aircon contractor recommended a System 2 Mitsubishi Starmex of the following configuration:

MXY-4A38VA together with 2x MSY-GE18VA units (I believe this is the 2 ticks older model)

1.) What are your opinions on this configuration for cooling a single large room?
2.) Should I go with the 2 ticks Starmex or request the newer 5 ticks Starmex? (i.e. MXY-4G38VA + 2x MSXY-FJ18VE)
3.) What price range is considered reasonable? I am not able to find price comparisons for odd configs like this system4 compressor with 2x18k aircons.

p.s. I do not mind the room taking longer to cool down initially, but it should be able to stay cool without stressing the compressor to the max.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
I chked with contractor, it is indeed 2 ticks!
I'm confused, tot all Mitsui Starmex Sys 3 are 5 ticks?
His aircon contact said he dun do 5 ticks cos many problems, he doesn't want to come back again and again. :s11:

Will buy on my own probably fr gain city..

Is this contractor the only one not willing to sell the 5 ticks models? If he is correct then the 5 ticks has many problems if so why do other contractors sell it?

Did he specified what type of problems?

Gain City don't seem to be having reliable installers as well as poor service according to some posting. Installer plays a very important role in the operation of the whole air conditioner system.

You may wish to check the following links:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/gain-city-panasonic-aircon-unit-c800839.html

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/gain-city-samsung-aircon-unit-c798049.html

http://airconquotations.com/gain-city-singapore/

You may wish to use the following words for your search: gain city aircon servicing review complaints 2016

The above are my opinion and hope they are helpful.

Last edited:

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 ticks imo can already, 5 tick like underpowered during cooling stage.

Like toilet bowl, get 3 tick bo flush power like 1 tick, end up must flush 2 time waste more $$$ clearing sai

terumo

Reaction score
To JAPDestiny,

There are 2 and 5 ticks model.
If your usage is high (say more then 8 hours daily), getting a 5 ticks might be better.

dachee

Reaction score
Dropped by gain city today and wanted to find sys3, here are the best 2 options that I found (5 ticks for aircon unit and inverter) :

LG Health Plus System 3 Inverter
A4UQ26GFA2
09GDBA2 x 3

$3359sgd

Mistubishi System 3 Inverter
MXY3G28VA(CU)
MSXYFJ10VE x 3

$3579

(Still green to aircon choosing ;)

This posting is similar to that of AReality.

The LG 26GFA2 condenser has a 6.21 kW (21k Btu) normal rating, a weighted COP of 4.89 (cannot find the full load COP for this model) that support up to 4 FCUs with total capacity of 54k Btu/h. The FCU is 09G with a normal rating of 9k Btu/h., Max fan speed of 7 m3/min and noise level at High and Low of 33 and 19 dB

Came across a site selling at $3269

The Mitsubishi 28VA condenser has normal rating of 6 kW, a weighted COP of 5.55 that support up to 3 FCUs. The 10VE if I am not wrong is a 9k Btu/h, with Max fan speed of 16.9 m3/min and noise level at High and Low of 47 and 19 dB

$3461

You may wish to compare the above data between the models. Do let us know if you have any questions.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
2 ticks imo can already, 5 tick like underpowered during cooling stage.

Like toilet bowl, get 3 tick bo flush power like 1 tick, end up must flush 2 time waste more $$$ clearing sai

I don't think the "under powered" and toilet flushing apply to the air conditioner COP. This is because the COP is calculated with full load as well as weighted load. Therefore a 5 ticks is still a 5 ticks with the stated power combination. And this is based on normal usage as shown in the combination (if you cannot find the combination for the 5 ticks, you can call the manufacturer technical support team to ask for it as this is important in your selection).

If the power for that 5 ticks combination in one model is not what you want, then you need to up size to the next level or sometime 2 levels up. The 5 ticks remains with the up size. Meaning that if you want a colder temperature, your electricity consumption will increase but the efficiency of the air conditioner is still better than the 2 ticks having the same usage (a 2 ticks system would therefore use even more electricity)

The above are my opinion and hope that they are useful.

Last edited:

JAPDestiny

Reaction score
Is this contractor the only one not willing to sell the 5 ticks models? If he is correct then the 5 ticks has many problems if so why do other contractors sell it?

Did he specified what type of problems?

Gain City don't seem to be having reliable installers as well as poor service according to some posting. Installer plays a very important role in the operation of the whole air conditioner system.

You may wish to check the following links:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/gain-city-panasonic-aircon-unit-c800839.html

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/gain-city-samsung-aircon-unit-c798049.html

http://airconquotations.com/gain-city-singapore/

You may wish to use the following words for your search: gain city aircon servicing review complaints 2016

The above are my opinion and hope they are helpful.

hihi he say with my usage if use 5 ticks he will have to come back again and again as I'm sure to complain :p

is it true that for my requirement of 18k living, 12k BR1, 9k BR2 if i use 5 tick compressor, it will not have power to support? Will a 2 tick be better in this sense?

Living room aircon is used 7pm to 12am wkdays, more hours on wkends.
and we are likely to also use on 1 of the BRs.

Courts salesman told me 5 Tick compressor for sys 3 can only support 2x9k btu efficiently. for my requirement he also recommend 2 ticks. and 2 ticks is previous 4 ticks. I shall consider more on my usage than the ticks.

Gain city sales man said 5 tick compressor can support my living 18k, BR1 18k(he recommend 18k instead of 12k) and BR2 9k, can on 2 at the same time.

The more i hear, the more confused i am :s13:

Last edited:

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
End of day compare here compare there, lady luck is still key. Buy the most advanced Scandal Neo-endorsed 5 tick system 3 with G21 pipe, 3/4 armaflex and 20mm water pipe $10000 but if PCB faulty, compressor spoil also end up headache.

The winner is the one with the cheapest deal, trouble-free run for 5-10 years and song with cooling performance. But of course don't be kumgong and buy lao ya stuff like certain ah tiong models lah

thecat21

Reaction score
This posting is similar to that of AReality.

The LG 26GFA2 condenser has a 6.21 kW (21k Btu) normal rating, a weighted COP of 4.89 (cannot find the full load COP for this model) that support up to 4 FCUs with total capacity of 54k Btu/h. The FCU is 09G with a normal rating of 9k Btu/h., Max fan speed of 7 m3/min and noise level at High and Low of 33 and 19 dB

Came across a site selling at $3269

The Mitsubishi 28VA condenser has normal rating of 6 kW, a weighted COP of 5.55 that support up to 3 FCUs. The 10VE if I am not wrong is a 9k Btu/h, with Max fan speed of 16.9 m3/min and noise level at High and Low of 47 and 19 dB

$3461

You may wish to compare the above data between the models. Do let us know if you have any questions.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

Im getting a 4 bedroom, breaking 1 bedroom to extend living room. (although the kitchen is also open concept)

As such, from data gathered here i've deduced that I need an 18k for living room and 9k each for the other 2 bedroom ? Is 18k enough for the extended living room + open kitchen ?

Considering the mitsubishi option above @ $3461 , is this the price i must pay for this setup ? or do I have to pay more for a 18k BTU unit, trying to make sense of how this works, if anyone can recommend a good setup for me, will be a great help !

terumo

Reaction score
To Otherp,

Min required is 24k btu.
If you can get 18k + 12k will be better with 30k btu compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.