HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Kitchen Cabinet - aluminium or wood?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #16

Office Furniture Chennai |Office Chairs in Chennai |Office Chairs Chennai

Classic furniture provides the complete solution for Office Chairs in Chennai, Office Chairs Chennai, Office furniture Chennai[/URL]. For More details call us 8939892444.
ccsprabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #17

I really hate wood kitchen cabinet because they don't last long and removal is a pain.

Thinking of aluminium myself too.

My current wardrobe is using aluminium pole system.. super spacious and nice.
MVCPattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #18

I really hate wood kitchen cabinet because they don't last long and removal is a pain.

I think aluminium cabinet better. Who has done it before?
kelvinlam791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

Anyone use solid wood for cabinet doors?
MaoZeDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #20
Master Member

Solid wood doors will slant/sag in the long use because of its weight
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #21
Supremacy Member

Hi, do u think it will help with better hinges like blum?

Solid wood doors will slant/sag in the long use because of its weight
Old 05-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

Personally, I feel it is something that is good to have, but not necessary to have. Typically most folks will use plywood. Solid wood is of course better and could last longer, but for cabinet door which we don't put pressure or abuse, it may be overkill.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #23

What type of solid wood are you referring to? Teak?
ginger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #24
Master Member

Re

Hi, do u think it will help with better hinges like blum?
You mean these?

https://www.blum.com/us/en/01/20/10/

Nowadays, cabinet doors come with slow-motion closure hinges like my recently installed new cabinet. But I'm not using solid wood and not BLUM hinges.

Did the BLUM website says their hinges can prevent solid wood doors from sagging/slanting in the long run? Why not you ask BLUM directly?

Even the main wooden door will sag/slant slightly in the long run due to its weight.

The important thing here is how many hinges you are installing and the locations they are installed. The contractor will likely to install the hinges of equal spacing to make things look nice.

If you seriously want to prevent slanting/sagging you'll need to have 2 hinges on the top (one immediately below the other) and one at the bottom for cabinet door. For the main door you'll need the same 2 hinges on the top, one in the middle and one at the bottom.

These will prevent the door from slanting/sagging. No need to get the expensive BLUM hinges.
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #25
High Supremacy Member

doesn't aluminium look like hawker store?
Goodshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #26
High Supremacy Member

My Blum kitchen is done by eBrickz.. pretty solid wood and strong durable hinges.. totally satisfied

Sent from ..... using GAGT
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #27

No experience with aluminium for me. Iím using plywood for 6-7 years now. Seems alright. Only issue is with Blum add-ons closing the door unable to close completely. Could be hinge issue but add-on is really not long lasting solution.

Another choice I remember was stainless steel kitchen cabinet from Song cho. Think itís high end but can consider for those who wants durability. For metals, main issues will be bending. Itís difficult to bend back to original flatness unless you use machines or thereís enough thickness to prevent it from being bent.

Wear and tear would be coating on metals vs laminate on woods.
pelangi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 02:16 AM   #28
Supremacy Member

Thanks. Checked with blum and they say no issue with heavier closing... wad will affect the stability is the length - best to keep it within 60cm per closing...

You mean these?

https://www.blum.com/us/en/01/20/10/

Nowadays, cabinet doors come with slow-motion closure hinges like my recently installed new cabinet. But I'm not using solid wood and not BLUM hinges.

Did the BLUM website says their hinges can prevent solid wood doors from sagging/slanting in the long run? Why not you ask BLUM directly?

Even the main wooden door will sag/slant slightly in the long run due to its weight.

The important thing here is how many hinges you are installing and the locations they are installed. The contractor will likely to install the hinges of equal spacing to make things look nice.

If you seriously want to prevent slanting/sagging you'll need to have 2 hinges on the top (one immediately below the other) and one at the bottom for cabinet door. For the main door you'll need the same 2 hinges on the top, one in the middle and one at the bottom.

These will prevent the door from slanting/sagging. No need to get the expensive BLUM hinges.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.