2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread IV [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

yunie_

Reaction score

I'd like to repost this link I've posted 3-4 years back. This video is full of deep satisfying kick drum (the first kick drum comes at about 13 seconds) which you will need a really large woofer (8" and above) or subwoofer (at least a 7") to really hear it.

My really large 6.5" speakers can hardly hear anything at all and definitely not satisfying. If you only hear 'farting' sound, your sound system couldn't go low enough to really enjoy rock band concerts with those satisfying deep bass.

Last edited:

atlanticus

Reaction score
Amon86 mentioned Auralex MoPAD before. Where should I go to buy isolation pads for my computer speakers?

Amon86

Reaction score
Amon86 mentioned Auralex MoPAD before. Where should I go to buy isolation pads for my computer speakers?

From last time i think i brought those from Adelphi Hifi Inn better you called them to check if they now still carry as i brought those 3 years ago....but if you want to use it for long term i suggest you buy those iso-acoustics stand which perform better in overall....as modpad decouple your speakers from desk and angle up and down not much.... iso-acoustics stand make sure that when u place speakers on it the vibration of the cabinet will not go back to the cabinet cause the vibration will channel stand go front and backward and cancel off and it also able angle your speaker up or down towards your ear level and it also decouple your speakers from desk like mopad the plastic one is a good buy if you are on budget.......

if your speaker is revealing enough you might able to tell this video sound quality differences when he switch A to B comparison

Last edited:

yunie_

Reaction score
I had the mopads and the new isoacoustics puck. I never really believe in stands having a difference on the sound but my, the sound from using these two different items is noticeable.

icecapt

Reaction score
I had the mopads and the new isoacoustics puck. I never really believe in stands having a difference on the sound but my, the sound from using these two different items is noticeable.

That's a lot of spending for something you never really believed in.. that costs almost as much as my speakers from my estimation

:s22:

yunie_

Reaction score
That's a lot of spending for something you never really believed in.. that costs almost as much as my speakers from my estimation

:s22:
And that is why I say the puck is incredibly overpriced. It cost me $300. and mopads on itself is already overpriced. $50 for foams? I can't imagine people spending thousands on isolation feets. those are really just lots of snake oil.

i find the mopad a few cm too high and the puck will suit my height just fine.

but i wouldnt say the puck is better. Just different from mopad.

Last edited:

Amon86

Reaction score
And that is why I say the puck is incredibly overpriced. I can't imagine people spending thousands on isolation feets. those are really just lots of snake oil.

I wouldn't say all add on things are rated as snake oil if you got a very revealing system adding things like those isolation feet does make a different if your system total cost is less than 1k then buying those things doesn't help u those become snake oil cause your system don't benefit from those....

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And that is why I say the puck is incredibly overpriced. It cost me $300. and mopads on itself is already overpriced. $50 for foams? I can't imagine people spending thousands on isolation feets. those are really just lots of snake oil.

Is your puck same as this?

https://www.qoo10.sg/item/ISOACOUST...DIO-MONITOR-STAND/532483580?banner_no=1305330

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But they work right. If you do hear a difference (and I mean real difference not the one you "hear" by adjusting the position of your spikes of your DAC) then it is not snake oil.

I mean speaker positioning has real effects...

The better question is can you do the same for cheaper.

And there are lots of false positives because lots of changes can be heard simply because you sat down at a slightly different location. That's why the concept of "head vice" is a running joke among the more senior members over at diyaudio.

Our hearing can be more sensitive to positioning than you might think.

http://wwenze.blogspot.sg/2011/04/i-just-discovered-i-can-tell-difference.html?m=1

yunie_

Reaction score
I wouldn't say all add on things are rated as snake oil if you got a very revealing system adding things like those isolation feet does make a different if your system total cost is less than 1k then buying those things doesn't help u those become snake oil cause your system don't benefit from those....

okay I will not say snake oil but rather incredibly overpriced.

It's just metal and rubber. $300 should be enough to buy you the best metal and rubber combination inclusive of all the "R&D" that goes into it. $1000+ for isolation feet is stupid for me. I can get something that performs as well for $100.

But there's always the market. expensive isolation feet does not just isolate. It gives the user satisfaction in knowing that he owns something expensive and looks really good in his system. Audiophiling is afterall, a hobby.

puck is this http://www.isoacoustics.com/iso-puck/

puck can't give you the height. if you use small speakers on your desk, then you should use the stand. if you have large monitors, then mopad and puck is good.

They just release the isoacoustics orea series. omg. that is $100 per piece. You need at least 6. I've compared it with the puck and it looks like the same exact piece but with shiny finish instead. isoacoustics is pretty gimicky for me.

Last edited:

Amon86

Reaction score

I had those use isopuck use those for my subwoofer as the gaia feet screw can't fit in

mW0oeg0.jpg

hD3jZLg.jpg

YDzd3p7.jpg

Amon86

Reaction score
niceee.. what did you use before puck?

I used the existing rubber feet...which is quite bad.....watched those movies like Jurassic world the rumble from explosion or walking of the hybrid dinosaur resonate alot of things surrounding it after changing to this isopuck my bass is more control and rumble effect which resonate the surrounding decrease alot not as noisy as before........soon after the release of GAIA, i got myself those GAIA 3 for my floorstanders as well works very well...my floorstander sounded more open and details better than my existing spike...so thinking of changing those isopuck to GAIA as well but the screw provided M8 is thicker can't fit in all the way....so i am stuck with those isopuck.....

Last edited:

yunie_

Reaction score
I am interested to hear your LS50 if you are open to having me over for an audition. I've listened to it twice, but once with bluetooth and once in japan. they sounded really weird to me.

it is rated A grade by stereophile and perhaps the cheapest ever speakers to make it there. It must be better than I've heard it.

Amon86

Reaction score
I am interested to hear your LS50 if you are open to having me over for an audition. I've listened to it twice, but once with bluetooth and once in japan. they sounded really weird to me.

it is rated A grade by stereophile and perhaps the cheapest ever speakers to make it there. It must be better than I've heard it.

My LS50 don't sound the same as the wireless one as there is a guy from xtremeplace came tested it before his first impression he give me is mine sounded totally different from the W version he mention that W does sound more warm but doesn't have the detail resolution and transparency as mine ....mine also behind added alot of so called (snake oil on this channel that don't believe) so you can't use mine as a reference

yunie_

Reaction score
Any alternatives to the puck?
I got 3 sets of puck, total 6. If you want I can sell you for $270 total. 10% off price.

A very effective way to isolate your speakers is using squash ball. cut it into half. I think can hold about 5 kg for 4 half squash balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.