Creative Katana User discussion thread

To test or not to test that is the question?

• Yes, please give me your opinion.

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Yes, don't want to spend on something that either fails or have design issues.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No, we know you will bash Creative definetely.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Your choice, got time go test.

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi techidiot,

Nice findings you've got ;)
And yes, you're right to say that this product is a PC-first device, but can be extended for small room HTS usage. Can't expect wonders out of an all-in-one product, but this will definitely please those with TV, console, PC, etc. all in one room.

I'm just trying to see how will it fare in a larger space as the Katana does well in small rooms, which again is its first design consideration - audio enjoyment in close quarters.

@Dr. Vijay, with respect I also wish to do the same but since I am into HTS for so long and Creative supporter
since the Blaster era. (Sound, 3D, CD-rom and etc.)
Competing the Katana Soundbar against AVR + 5.1 setup
is clearly out of the picture cuz Katana is still a PC segment
soundbar.

Cuz I think Dr Vijay have not heard a affordable and powerful soundbar
meant for PC hence I think he was rather excited with the Katana.
However that is his opinion, if you ask me my opinion comes from
HTS space not PC.

Anyway Katana was meant for PC use not really for HTS or power users.

SpaceMonkey, the size of your room, seating area and more matters as well. I don't think the Katana is meant for your use - unless of course you really just want an affordable option to tide you till you get a more powerful one or fix the previous one. techidiot's recommendations on some of the Sony sound bars are promising and should definitely fit your needs as a proper replacement.

Was using a Bose Cinemate 130 and the product give way and had to return product to Atlas in less than 6 months usage.

Personally haven't seen or heard the sound projecting from this product but based on the write up and Dr Bee Jay's experience looking so immersed, this product seems like the next thing to look out for.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi techidiot,

Nice findings you've got ;)
And yes, you're right to say that this product is a PC-first device, but can be extended for small room HTS usage. Can't expect wonders out of an all-in-one product, but this will definitely please those with TV, console, PC, etc. all in one room.

I'm just trying to see how will it fare in a larger space as the Katana does well in small rooms, which again is its first design consideration - audio enjoyment in close quarters.

Hi Dr Vijay, Thank you for backing up my findings since we are both on the same page. Yes there are some because of Katana price range, they may think it is a all rounder product around $400.

Thinking maybe since it is cheap, it should be compatible with most application but unfortunately not. Since the design was actually meant for Under monitor or close up audio.

If Katana at $400 can be a all rounder especially for those looking for cheap HTS soundbar, Creative may face stiff competition from many
manufacturers. (A lot of players in the HTS market.)

Currently the Katana set at my place is delivering very amazing and promising audio experience I had since my previous Gigaworks G500 died few years back.

My personal review will soon be come to a close since movies and gaming testing on PC have concluded. The 7.1 environment on PC is something that is a miss since Creative 7.1 speaker was released about a century ago.

Overall Creative have indeed created something that is definitely worth checking out.
Thank you again Dr. Vijay for your comments, looking forward to your
large room testing.

Despite I have a unit in my hand but I don't have such a room to do the testing. I also love to do such test that I could bring my own HTS soundbar and Katana to compete.

I be open if you wish to invite me for the large room testing. :)
Cheers and Happy new year.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds like katana will be reasonable for usage in a hdb common room.

Given that newer hdb flat living room are smaller, it might still be ok to use.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds like katana will be reasonable for usage in a hdb common room.

Given that newer hdb flat living room are smaller, it might still be ok to use.

Small room up to around 1metres should OK. (The throw distance.)

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To put things into perspective as far as size is concerned...

The Katana is about the length of a regular 27' Monitor. In today's context, LED TVs are easily 47' inch and goes up to 100'.. so you can imagine in terms of looks it's not going to match well.
however as mentioned above if you going for small room setup like 32' to 40' TV i think it will still be good.

2laajrr.jpg
it's nothing to do with 'high end system' at all :)

And where price is concerned some of the money confirm goes into the LED function where all the craze are ATM LOL.

2zr3ojm.jpg

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To put things into perspective as far as size is concerned...

The Katana is about the length of a regular 27' Monitor. In today's context, LED TVs are easily 47' inch and goes up to 100'.. so you can imagine in terms of looks it's not going to match well.
however as mentioned above if you going for small room setup like 32' to 40' TV i think it will still be good.

2laajrr.jpg
it's nothing to do with 'high end system' at all :)

And where price is concerned some of the money confirm goes into the LED function where all the craze are ATM LOL.

2zr3ojm.jpg

Same thoughts as mine, 32inch to 40 inch should be alright
but anything bigger you may have to consider something else.

Another point regarding factors contributing to the cost of the Katana
like I have shared that if manufacturers were to use Dolby/DTS matrix.
Like Dolby Audio technology which is actually like a license that manufacturers have to pay for it.
Not mention Katana Dolby decoder is a hardware based not
software hence maybe using Dolby matrix is one
of the contributing cost.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/pc.html

hackorian

Reaction score
Interested but got a PS4 slim with no optical port. Can't find solution in the web as product is relatively new.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interested but got a PS4 slim with no optical port. Can't find solution in the web as product is relatively new.

Two ways,
1) Get a HDMI soundbar but usually will cost around $7XX
like Sony CT790
2) You still can get the Katana but you will need to output from
your TV the surround sound VIA optical output.
Monitor wise no known monitor with optical output.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have spent considerable amount of time testing and
my final verdict have been out.
It's been so long I have not heard something that is
impressive from Creative for use with PC.
Since the Gigaworks G500 which was the last 5.1 speaker
from Creative, Katana easily takes it places.

What do I have to say about the Katana, you could
read my final review.
OK that is a wrap, what is my next project/equipment
to play with.

hackorian

Reaction score
Two ways,
1) Get a HDMI soundbar but usually will cost around $7XX
like Sony CT790
2) You still can get the Katana but you will need to output from
your TV the surround sound VIA optical output.

1. Already got CT790 in my living room. PS4 is at my other room.

2. PS4 slim does not have a optical output port.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Already got CT790 in my living room. PS4 is at my other room.

2. PS4 slim does not have a optical output port.

If you are using a TV than connect the PS4 slim to it than
audio out from the TV optical output.

Hope this helps.

xuan87

Reaction score
Thanks techidiot for the comprehensive review.

Right now, I'm leaning more and more towards the Katana over my current X7+EMU XM7 setup. I realized that I seldom do any music listening with my speakers as I prefer to do that with my headphones. Most of my speakers use are for gaming and movies which the Katana seems to do very well. The MSRP is reasonable, meaning that I can probably get it even cheaper at the local IT shows. The space saved will be the greatest boon to me.

Won't commit to the MO though... Will want to listen to the Katana in person first, and see what kind of deals can Creative give for it at the IT show before deciding to replace my system or not.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.