Himedia HD300A Media Player

cimman305

Reaction score
how to connect to a NAS

I've got a Synology NAS (DiskStation 2.2)and I'm having problems connecting it to my HD300A.

There are 2 options available:
1) UPnP - using this option, I can see the folders in my NAS and access the contents. However, when I play the vob files, it seem to get stuck at the DVD menu page. I can't access the DVD menu contents, the cursor doesn't from say "Scene Select" to "Setup" options, there is no control of the cursor at all.

2) Samba - using this option, I can't even see my NAS. However, if I've my NAS mapped to my PC as a network drive, then it shows up and everything is fine.
In this case, I've to first connect to my PC (running Vista) and then select the NAS mapped drive. The DVD menu options worked over here.
However, this is not my preferred option, as I don't want to turn on my PC everytime I want to watch a movie, that's the reason I buy a NAS, to connect my NMT to my NAS without a PC in between. Also the performance will be slower (causing judder) if there's a PC in between. So far for SD movies, there's no judder, but it might for HD movies, as the data from the NAS goes through the PC and then to the Himedia.

Has anyone connected the Himedia directly to their NAS and the video streaming works ?
With UPnP connection, I suspect the transcoding is done by the NAS UPnP server application and the DVD menu feature is not supported. That's the reason why I want to connect using Samba, so that all the Himedia sees is a file, and the Himedia will work to transcode it, no processing is done on the NAS side.

This thing is killing me. If I had known this, I'll just go with the file server route. Hopefully, there's a solution. Anyone who has tried this on any NAS, please respond. I believe the concept is the same. My NAS file system is EXT3. This shouldn't be a problem as I believe HD300A is running on Linux too.

Last edited:

arsenal7

Reaction score
I've got a Synology NAS (DiskStation 2.2)and I'm having problems connecting it to my HD300A.

There are 2 options available:
1) UPnP - using this option, I can see the folders in my NAS and access the contents. However, when I play the vob files, it seem to get stuck at the DVD menu page. I can't access the DVD menu contents, the cursor doesn't from say "Scene Select" to "Setup" options, there is no control of the cursor at all.

2) Samba - using this option, I can't even see my NAS. However, if I've my NAS mapped to my PC as a network drive, then it shows up and everything is fine.
In this case, I've to first connect to my PC (running Vista) and then select the NAS mapped drive. The DVD menu options worked over here.
However, this is not my preferred option, as I don't want to turn on my PC everytime I want to watch a movie, that's the reason I buy a NAS, to connect my NMT to my NAS without a PC in between. Also the performance will be slower (causing judder) if there's a PC in between. So far for SD movies, there's no judder, but it might for HD movies, as the data from the NAS goes through the PC and then to the Himedia.

Has anyone connected the Himedia directly to their NAS and the video streaming works ?
With UPnP connection, I suspect the transcoding is done by the NAS UPnP server application and the DVD menu feature is not supported. That's the reason why I want to connect using Samba, so that all the Himedia sees is a file, and the Himedia will work to transcode it, no processing is done on the NAS side.

This thing is killing me. If I had known this, I'll just go with the file server route. Hopefully, there's a solution. Anyone who has tried this on any NAS, please respond. I believe the concept is the same. My NAS file system is EXT3. This shouldn't be a problem as I believe HD300A is running on Linux too.

Slow Down Dude...I can confirm that the player works because I have a synology running on 2.2 that streams all my files perfectly fine to the player...And I know your fustration because I could not get it to work initiately. All it took me to fix this was running through the playsmart forums and finding out how to set up the access to the NAS.

This is what I did

1. Go into the Samba icon. You will have shortcut and something else. Go into shortcut and unfortunately, u will see nothing at first.

2. Next, press the blue button on the remote and that is where the magic begins. Set up a login and password to the IP of your synology to allow access from player to the NAS. (Sugguest you reserve an IP on your router for your NAS so that it will allow the player to logon to the same IP all the time.)

3. Save that configuration and you will see a shortcut with the IP you added. Click on it and as long as you have added the right user id and password, it will allow you access to the NAS. (Suggest using the admin login as that will give you fill access to everthing in the NAS)

Just a tip, run wired if u wanna stream HD. No way it will stream nicely even on wireless N. Also, the beauty of this player is that even when accessing the NAS, it is extremely fast. I have never seen a player scroll through my NAS with such efficiency. (Running 207+ NAS)

Hope this helps you. Like u, my heart sank when I did not know how to work with my NAS ...but once it did...Wow...Even copying stuff from the NAS is easy... :)

cimman305

Reaction score
Slow Down Dude...I can confirm that the player works because I have a synology running on 2.2 that streams all my files perfectly fine to the player...And I know your fustration because I could not get it to work initiately. All it took me to fix this was running through the playsmart forums and finding out how to set up the access to the NAS.

This is what I did

1. Go into the Samba icon. You will have shortcut and something else. Go into shortcut and unfortunately, u will see nothing at first.

2. Next, press the blue button on the remote and that is where the magic begins. Set up a login and password to the IP of your synology to allow access from player to the NAS. (Sugguest you reserve an IP on your router for your NAS so that it will allow the player to logon to the same IP all the time.)

3. Save that configuration and you will see a shortcut with the IP you added. Click on it and as long as you have added the right user id and password, it will allow you access to the NAS. (Suggest using the admin login as that will give you fill access to everthing in the NAS)

Just a tip, run wired if u wanna stream HD. No way it will stream nicely even on wireless N. Also, the beauty of this player is that even when accessing the NAS, it is extremely fast. I have never seen a player scroll through my NAS with such efficiency. (Running 207+ NAS)

Hope this helps you. Like u, my heart sank when I did not know how to work with my NAS ...but once it did...Wow...Even copying stuff from the NAS is easy... :)

thanks bro, you're a life saver. The blue button really worked the magic. I was tearing my hair out figuring out how to input the NAS IP address and login name to the Himedia unit. I just wished the manual would be of more help documenting the blue button function.

You would think that connecting to a Samba server would be a pretty important piece of information to include in the manual. Anyway, enough ranting. Thanks very much again, and I'm off to fill up my Synology NAS, which the way, is pretty finicky on the USB drives that it can accept.
Out of 4 different USB external enclosures, only 1 was succesful in connecting to it. But that's another story and another forum.

oh, btw, my network is wired. Just did the renovation recently, so put in the essential CAT5E wiring all over the house. Everything is sweet now. At least till I start streaming HD stuff. Everything is Gigabit except for the Himedia unit. Let's hope the 100Mbps NIC is sufficient throughput for HD material.

Last edited:

arsenal7

Reaction score
thanks bro, you're a life saver. The blue button really worked the magic. I was tearing my hair out figuring out how to input the NAS IP address and login name to the Himedia unit. I just wished the manual would be of more help documenting the blue button function.

You would think that connecting to a Samba server would be a pretty important piece of information to include in the manual. Anyway, enough ranting. Thanks very much again, and I'm off to fill up my Synology NAS, which the way, is pretty finicky on the USB drives that it can accept.
Out of 4 different USB external enclosures, only 1 was succesful in connecting to it. But that's another story and another forum.

oh, btw, my network is wired. Just did the renovation recently, so put in the essential CAT5E wiring all over the house. Everything is sweet now. At least till I start streaming HD stuff. Everything is Gigabit except for the Himedia unit. Let's hope the 100Mbps NIC is sufficient throughput for HD material.

Cool. Great to hear that it is working fine now.

What a coincidence that I am currently doing reno and have also LANed up my new place. :)
Just to share 100Mbps so far is more than adequate for HD file sizes of 8 gig. Not sure if it can handle the 40 gig files though so let me know how it works if you do try.

And just a side note, I have not had any issues with any USB or ESATA enclosures to my Synology NAS. Please PM me if you wanna discuss more the NAS. :D

agassparkle

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I just got my HD300A player.

But i am having problems with network. Network connection doesnt work at all. The light behind doesnt blink when i plug in a cable that I know is working. The cable works on an other computer. Network lights only blinks during the bootup.

In the menu i tried dhcp and manual. Both did nothing. And when i try wireless it says " Cant get any ssid". I have working ps3 with wireless just near the player.

Any sugestions ? firmwares maybe ?

thx a lot in advance

--Edit--

I have done the latest firmware 1038 still the same.

Last edited:

playsmartsg

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I just got my HD300A player.

But i am having problems with network. Network connection doesnt work at all. The light behind doesnt blink when i plug in a cable that I know is working. The cable works on an other computer. Network lights only blinks during the bootup.

In the menu i tried dhcp and manual. Both did nothing. And when i try wireless it says " Cant get any ssid". I have working ps3 with wireless just near the player.

Any sugestions ? firmwares maybe ?

thx a lot in advance

--Edit--

I have done the latest firmware 1038 still the same.
Bro, may I know which brand and model of wireless dongle r u using?

If u suspect ur set got problem,you can come to our shop for checking.
We are glad to help u.

Cheers

agassparkle

Reaction score
Bro, may I know which brand and model of wireless dongle r u using?

If u suspect ur set got problem,you can come to our shop for checking.
We are glad to help u.

Cheers

Actually wireless is not that important for me. Have you ever encountered any problem like mine with wired connection ?

And what dongle you suggest ? can you give brand and model ?

playsmartsg

Reaction score
Actually wireless is not that important for me. Have you ever encountered any problem like mine with wired connection ?

And what dongle you suggest ? can you give brand and model ?

So far no such issue reported. So if possible, bring it to us to check.

Dongle: Dlink DWA-130 11N, this model not selling in SG, so we import from Taiwan, if you need, can come down to get one.

Cheers

agassparkle

Reaction score
So i need a usb dongle to use its wireless option ?

Btw i live in turkey so i cant bring it to you :(

i found the site looking for answers why my network isnt working

4rr0w2

Reaction score
Any notes on the improvements?

Changelog : Translate from original chinese language

1 subtitles and intelligent recognition, on the various forms of Chinese subtitle format judgement, completely solve the problem with Chinese subtitles garbled.
2 BD tracks notemessage name slightly
Resolution 3 update Blu-ray--solve the Blu-ray LIB directory name does not appear in the correct language.
4 increase M2T video file format support
5 modify the brightness, contrast, and color of text in the English State, does not display all of the bugs.
6 on Teletext subtitles (TT format) support
7 to modify the default DNS settings address
8 solved m2ts file, the preview is finished, get to play, sometimes unable to find an in-line PGS subtitles.
9 resolve MKV SSA bilingual captioning of issues, such as the Holy City, home of many MKV film)
10 solve some UTF8 SSA, AAS subtitles do not display issues

more info here : http://www.playsmartsg.biz - "Support and Download"

ck_siong

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some help on this, wonder its limitation, bug or incorrect configuration.

Trying to access both the internal harddisk and external harrdisk connected to SATA of the player from a PC.

From the PC
Access from Network - > Windows Workgroup
a) Internal Harddisk on the player can be access and seen as HDD1 on Samba
b) External Harddisk through SATA on the player Cannot be Found.

From the Player, both internal and external harddisk can be accessed and also view under the Harddisk Section.

Anyone experience this ?
Thks in advance ....

sos911

Reaction score
those who are keen to buy, I have 2 brand new set to sell. Upgraded to latest fIrmware by local dIstro. Totally not used. pm me If keen. Thanks

brownkai

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looking to sell my 2 mths old set with 320GB HDD seldom use due to work ... interested pm me...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.