HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Himedia HD300A Media Player

Like Tree9Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #196

apologized if I don't understand it completely. What is the line that you are referring, is it the black bar top and bottom?

When you said that the pic is spaced out a bit too wide, does it mean that the picture get crop out at the sides?And when the pic is pulled vertically a bit, does it make the image looks distorted such that the image looks like it's either stretch or shrink making the picture looking weird?

I wonder if you have a picture or illustration (self draw to illustrate how the picture gets space out) as I had a bit difficulty visualizing what you said.

And to all who had already used this player,

does one needs to change the setting if the video is in 1080p while another is in 480p. Or does the player detect the video resolution format automatically and can self adjust according to resolution format. Because the elderly at home who is unable to read will not be able to know how to set/change the setting according to the video resolution format. So I hope I can just do a one time configuration and the elder will not need to change any setting when playing different video with different resolution format (eg 1080p, 480p, 720p).

Thanks.
From my experience it does not change. You will get a blank screen error. You will have to press some button on the remote to reset the resolution to a more friendly resolution (Can't remember which button). What happened to me was that when I was at home I set it to 1080p. But when I went to my dad's place, I got a blank screen. Not sure which button I pressed but the player resets itself and I changed it to 1080i which was the max on my dad's LCD.

Unfortunately, not many players auto change depending on the output (those that I know), so far I only recall my xbox 360 doing that. If you are going to plug to multiple output devices and the elderly is your target user, then it may not work out well. Suggest that this be connected to a single output and set the resolution permanently.

Hope this helps...
arsenal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #197

Hee.. thanks..

Oh, btw, the Samba Server I had to install it on a HDD or can i do it on a thumb drive?

Also (sorry really noob here) if i had to install it on a HDD what sort of HDD am i suppose to go for?

just make a share folder( right click- properties-sharing-click share this folder on network) in ur PC.

dump all the things that u wan into the folder.

At HD300A go to 'ALL'- scroll down to 'SAMBA'- 'WORKSHOP'. there u will see the share folder u created on ur PC.
skysim71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #198

Ok guys, good news and bad...

good news:
the new firmware can be downloaded from http://bbs.himedia-tech.cn/viewthrea...extra=page%3D1

haven't tried it yet...

bad news:
according to the forum, no fix for the pps problem...

i hope michael from playsmart can update us on the progress... good news or bad news, at least some form of news is better than being kept in the dark on this pps issue...

The link is dead wor. Anyway that is not official one.

I found a moded firmware for HD300A but it seems the guy is not releasing it to the public =S (http://bbs.himedia-tech.cn/viewthrea...extra=page%3D1)

Most impt, it fixes the following issue:

2、在官方固件上增加了NAS 功能,修正了Samba 在装有硬盘的HD300A 不启动的问题
NAS 改成了2个分享目录 USB 一个 ,HDD 一个

Roughly it translate to , "it fixes the hang issue when both internal SATA HDD and external USB HDD are connected at the same time."

This one very impt to me. But the official firmware still have not have this fixed.=(

Some update on the PPS situation. (http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail....321398&r=3&p=6....)

Last edited by cagivaz; 08-01-2010 at 05:23 PM..
cagivaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #199

PPS working yet?

hey guys!

anyone know if pps is working on the himedia 300A now?
isaac.wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #200

Shld resume aft cny. Pray hard
4rr0w2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #201

how to connect to a NAS

I've got a Synology NAS (DiskStation 2.2)and I'm having problems connecting it to my HD300A.

There are 2 options available:
1) UPnP - using this option, I can see the folders in my NAS and access the contents. However, when I play the vob files, it seem to get stuck at the DVD menu page. I can't access the DVD menu contents, the cursor doesn't from say "Scene Select" to "Setup" options, there is no control of the cursor at all.

2) Samba - using this option, I can't even see my NAS. However, if I've my NAS mapped to my PC as a network drive, then it shows up and everything is fine.
In this case, I've to first connect to my PC (running Vista) and then select the NAS mapped drive. The DVD menu options worked over here.
However, this is not my preferred option, as I don't want to turn on my PC everytime I want to watch a movie, that's the reason I buy a NAS, to connect my NMT to my NAS without a PC in between. Also the performance will be slower (causing judder) if there's a PC in between. So far for SD movies, there's no judder, but it might for HD movies, as the data from the NAS goes through the PC and then to the Himedia.

Has anyone connected the Himedia directly to their NAS and the video streaming works ?
With UPnP connection, I suspect the transcoding is done by the NAS UPnP server application and the DVD menu feature is not supported. That's the reason why I want to connect using Samba, so that all the Himedia sees is a file, and the Himedia will work to transcode it, no processing is done on the NAS side.

This thing is killing me. If I had known this, I'll just go with the file server route. Hopefully, there's a solution. Anyone who has tried this on any NAS, please respond. I believe the concept is the same. My NAS file system is EXT3. This shouldn't be a problem as I believe HD300A is running on Linux too.

Last edited by cimman305; 10-01-2010 at 05:04 PM..
cimman305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #202

I've got a Synology NAS (DiskStation 2.2)and I'm having problems connecting it to my HD300A.

There are 2 options available:
1) UPnP - using this option, I can see the folders in my NAS and access the contents. However, when I play the vob files, it seem to get stuck at the DVD menu page. I can't access the DVD menu contents, the cursor doesn't from say "Scene Select" to "Setup" options, there is no control of the cursor at all.

2) Samba - using this option, I can't even see my NAS. However, if I've my NAS mapped to my PC as a network drive, then it shows up and everything is fine.
In this case, I've to first connect to my PC (running Vista) and then select the NAS mapped drive. The DVD menu options worked over here.
However, this is not my preferred option, as I don't want to turn on my PC everytime I want to watch a movie, that's the reason I buy a NAS, to connect my NMT to my NAS without a PC in between. Also the performance will be slower (causing judder) if there's a PC in between. So far for SD movies, there's no judder, but it might for HD movies, as the data from the NAS goes through the PC and then to the Himedia.

Has anyone connected the Himedia directly to their NAS and the video streaming works ?
With UPnP connection, I suspect the transcoding is done by the NAS UPnP server application and the DVD menu feature is not supported. That's the reason why I want to connect using Samba, so that all the Himedia sees is a file, and the Himedia will work to transcode it, no processing is done on the NAS side.

This thing is killing me. If I had known this, I'll just go with the file server route. Hopefully, there's a solution. Anyone who has tried this on any NAS, please respond. I believe the concept is the same. My NAS file system is EXT3. This shouldn't be a problem as I believe HD300A is running on Linux too.
Slow Down Dude...I can confirm that the player works because I have a synology running on 2.2 that streams all my files perfectly fine to the player...And I know your fustration because I could not get it to work initiately. All it took me to fix this was running through the playsmart forums and finding out how to set up the access to the NAS.

This is what I did

1. Go into the Samba icon. You will have shortcut and something else. Go into shortcut and unfortunately, u will see nothing at first.

2. Next, press the blue button on the remote and that is where the magic begins. Set up a login and password to the IP of your synology to allow access from player to the NAS. (Sugguest you reserve an IP on your router for your NAS so that it will allow the player to logon to the same IP all the time.)

3. Save that configuration and you will see a shortcut with the IP you added. Click on it and as long as you have added the right user id and password, it will allow you access to the NAS. (Suggest using the admin login as that will give you fill access to everthing in the NAS)

Just a tip, run wired if u wanna stream HD. No way it will stream nicely even on wireless N. Also, the beauty of this player is that even when accessing the NAS, it is extremely fast. I have never seen a player scroll through my NAS with such efficiency. (Running 207+ NAS)

Hope this helps you. Like u, my heart sank when I did not know how to work with my NAS ...but once it did...Wow...Even copying stuff from the NAS is easy...
Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #203

Slow Down Dude...I can confirm that the player works because I have a synology running on 2.2 that streams all my files perfectly fine to the player...And I know your fustration because I could not get it to work initiately. All it took me to fix this was running through the playsmart forums and finding out how to set up the access to the NAS.

This is what I did

1. Go into the Samba icon. You will have shortcut and something else. Go into shortcut and unfortunately, u will see nothing at first.

2. Next, press the blue button on the remote and that is where the magic begins. Set up a login and password to the IP of your synology to allow access from player to the NAS. (Sugguest you reserve an IP on your router for your NAS so that it will allow the player to logon to the same IP all the time.)

3. Save that configuration and you will see a shortcut with the IP you added. Click on it and as long as you have added the right user id and password, it will allow you access to the NAS. (Suggest using the admin login as that will give you fill access to everthing in the NAS)

Just a tip, run wired if u wanna stream HD. No way it will stream nicely even on wireless N. Also, the beauty of this player is that even when accessing the NAS, it is extremely fast. I have never seen a player scroll through my NAS with such efficiency. (Running 207+ NAS)

Hope this helps you. Like u, my heart sank when I did not know how to work with my NAS ...but once it did...Wow...Even copying stuff from the NAS is easy...
thanks bro, you're a life saver. The blue button really worked the magic. I was tearing my hair out figuring out how to input the NAS IP address and login name to the Himedia unit. I just wished the manual would be of more help documenting the blue button function.

You would think that connecting to a Samba server would be a pretty important piece of information to include in the manual. Anyway, enough ranting. Thanks very much again, and I'm off to fill up my Synology NAS, which the way, is pretty finicky on the USB drives that it can accept.
Out of 4 different USB external enclosures, only 1 was succesful in connecting to it. But that's another story and another forum.

oh, btw, my network is wired. Just did the renovation recently, so put in the essential CAT5E wiring all over the house. Everything is sweet now. At least till I start streaming HD stuff. Everything is Gigabit except for the Himedia unit. Let's hope the 100Mbps NIC is sufficient throughput for HD material.

Last edited by cimman305; 10-01-2010 at 10:44 PM..
cimman305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #204

thanks bro, you're a life saver. The blue button really worked the magic. I was tearing my hair out figuring out how to input the NAS IP address and login name to the Himedia unit. I just wished the manual would be of more help documenting the blue button function.

You would think that connecting to a Samba server would be a pretty important piece of information to include in the manual. Anyway, enough ranting. Thanks very much again, and I'm off to fill up my Synology NAS, which the way, is pretty finicky on the USB drives that it can accept.
Out of 4 different USB external enclosures, only 1 was succesful in connecting to it. But that's another story and another forum.

oh, btw, my network is wired. Just did the renovation recently, so put in the essential CAT5E wiring all over the house. Everything is sweet now. At least till I start streaming HD stuff. Everything is Gigabit except for the Himedia unit. Let's hope the 100Mbps NIC is sufficient throughput for HD material.
Cool. Great to hear that it is working fine now.

What a coincidence that I am currently doing reno and have also LANed up my new place.
Just to share 100Mbps so far is more than adequate for HD file sizes of 8 gig. Not sure if it can handle the 40 gig files though so let me know how it works if you do try.

And just a side note, I have not had any issues with any USB or ESATA enclosures to my Synology NAS. Please PM me if you wanna discuss more the NAS.
Old 13-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #205

Hello everybody,

I just got my HD300A player.

But i am having problems with network. Network connection doesnt work at all. The light behind doesnt blink when i plug in a cable that I know is working. The cable works on an other computer. Network lights only blinks during the bootup.

In the menu i tried dhcp and manual. Both did nothing. And when i try wireless it says " Cant get any ssid". I have working ps3 with wireless just near the player.

Any sugestions ? firmwares maybe ?

thx a lot in advance

--Edit--

I have done the latest firmware 1038 still the same.

Last edited by agassparkle; 13-01-2010 at 07:41 PM..
agassparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #206

Hello everybody,

I just got my HD300A player.

But i am having problems with network. Network connection doesnt work at all. The light behind doesnt blink when i plug in a cable that I know is working. The cable works on an other computer. Network lights only blinks during the bootup.

In the menu i tried dhcp and manual. Both did nothing. And when i try wireless it says " Cant get any ssid". I have working ps3 with wireless just near the player.

Any sugestions ? firmwares maybe ?

thx a lot in advance

--Edit--

I have done the latest firmware 1038 still the same.
Bro, may I know which brand and model of wireless dongle r u using?

If u suspect ur set got problem,you can come to our shop for checking.
We are glad to help u.

Cheers
playsmartsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #207

Bro, may I know which brand and model of wireless dongle r u using?

If u suspect ur set got problem,you can come to our shop for checking.
We are glad to help u.

Cheers
Actually wireless is not that important for me. Have you ever encountered any problem like mine with wired connection ?

And what dongle you suggest ? can you give brand and model ?
Old 14-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #208

Actually wireless is not that important for me. Have you ever encountered any problem like mine with wired connection ?

And what dongle you suggest ? can you give brand and model ?
So far no such issue reported. So if possible, bring it to us to check.

Dongle: Dlink DWA-130 11N, this model not selling in SG, so we import from Taiwan, if you need, can come down to get one.

Cheers
Old 14-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #209

So i need a usb dongle to use its wireless option ?

Btw i live in turkey so i cant bring it to you

i found the site looking for answers why my network isnt working
Old 14-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #210

So i need a usb dongle to use its wireless option ?

Btw i live in turkey so i cant bring it to you

i found the site looking for answers why my network isnt working

yes, you need a Realtek 8191SU Chipset dongle for wireless.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.