HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How to connect LED TV to external speaker

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

How to connect LED TV to external speaker

Hi guys. I am not a techie so pardon me for my lapses.

I have an LG LED TV and I bought a Sonic Gear Armageddon a5 speaker.

I tried to connect it to the headphone jack of my LED TV but I am only getting a very weak volume on my Sonic Gear speakers. I need to max the volume to 100 so I can get a decent sound out of my speakers.

What should I do? Do I need to buy a special cable? Someone told me that I need a receiver?

A bit confused here now.

Thanks for your help.
keio20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #2

Your TV model?
testament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

some tv has line out rca port, labelled as 'monitor'. some tv has the same port for audio both in/out, but need to be selected in tv setup menu.

and some tv even has a separate volume control for headphone output.

need to read your tv manual.
alanchia67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

Hi guys. I am not a techie so pardon me for my lapses.

I have an LG LED TV and I bought a Sonic Gear Armageddon a5 speaker.

I tried to connect it to the headphone jack of my LED TV but I am only getting a very weak volume on my Sonic Gear speakers. I need to max the volume to 100 so I can get a decent sound out of my speakers.

What should I do? Do I need to buy a special cable? Someone told me that I need a receiver?

A bit confused here now.

Thanks for your help.
does ur speaker come with a inbuild amp inside?? u mean u max the volume of ur tv or ur speaker volume switch (if there is any)
anson_audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #5

What do you mean but maxing our the volume?
is it the tv volume or the speaker volume.
Gaines Goh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Master Member

those are multimedia speakers (active). i think the only connection is a 3.5mm jack?
Helbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

same problem here!

Got myself a Samsung 32C6200 recently (link) and i have a 2.1 creative I-Trigue L3800 speaker (link)

sound quality via headphone jack is really lousy and soft.

got
  • HDMI
  • PC/DVI audio in
  • component
  • audio/video
  • scart cable
  • digital audio out (optical)
  • headphone (only one working but bad quality)

Any advise on how use my speaker (3.5mm) with the tv??
sarusaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

no, the headphone jack is not meant for external speakers because the power output is very small.

You can only connect to external means via toslink (optical). Usually only surround receiver/amps have optical input/output for this purpose.
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #9

no, the headphone jack is not meant for external speakers because the power output is very small.

You can only connect to external means via toslink (optical). Usually only surround receiver/amps have optical input/output for this purpose.

so will it work if i get the 3.5mm -> optical cable? not sure about the receiver and amps
Old 13-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #10

so will it work if i get the 3.5mm -> optical cable? not sure about the receiver and amps
is there such a thing? I dun think so, the headphone jack is only meant for headphone/earphone as intended.

From the spec given by you, there is only an optical output which is the toslink which can only be connected to a AV amp/receiver then to your whatever speakers.
Old 14-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #11

is there such a thing? I dun think so, the headphone jack is only meant for headphone/earphone as intended.

From the spec given by you, there is only an optical output which is the toslink which can only be connected to a AV amp/receiver then to your whatever speakers.
did some research seems like i'll need a DAC (correct me if im wrong), but DAC like very expensive leh, any recommendation for DAC that's affordable ( < $100) ? If more than $100 i'll rather go get a speaker or soundbar.
Old 14-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #12

did some research seems like i'll need a DAC (correct me if im wrong), but DAC like very expensive leh, any recommendation for DAC that's affordable ( < $100) ? If more than $100 i'll rather go get a speaker or soundbar.
I dunno about DAC (convert digital output to analog) but another alternative is to buy those cheaper HTB (home theater out of the box) which accepts toslink connection. Probably cost few hundreds but you get better surround sound.

Another point to take note: nowadays many TV programs produce Dolby Surround sound so its best to hook up a Dolby Surround receiver/amp and 5.1 speakers because your LED/LCD optical output is capable of transmitting the sound channel. If you managed to hook up your 2.1 creative I-Trigue L3800 speaker then it is just normal stereo.

Last edited by Hafi; 14-03-2011 at 05:22 AM..
Old 14-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #13

I dunno about DAC (convert digital output to analog) but another alternative is to buy those cheaper HTB (home theater out of the box) which accepts toslink connection. Probably cost few hundreds but you get better surround sound.

Another point to take note: nowadays many TV programs produce Dolby Surround sound so its best to hook up a Dolby Surround receiver/amp and 5.1 speakers because your LED/LCD optical output is capable of transmitting the sound channel. If you managed to hook up your 2.1 creative I-Trigue L3800 speaker then it is just normal stereo.
Think most probably will have to go get HTB =( another hole in my pocket...
Old 14-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #14

Sorry to hijack this thread guys. But just to ask a question. I got a Panasonic SC-PT875 as a gift 2 years ago. Only got around to unboxing it recently. Set it up and routed the audio from my TV to the speakers but it came out at a really really very small volume. I maxed out the speakers' volume and it's still softer than if i had played sound straight out from my TV. I skipped connecting the microphone that came along with the set, is that what is causing the problem? Or am I using wrong cables or something? any advice?
stormcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #15

have you tried optical connection? the SCPT875 seems to support optical in.
nismo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.