HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Karaoke Setup with PA Speakers

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #16

Many great thanks again for the detail explanations!

-------------------------

Noted on the speaker management system options and considerations.

Will check with Swee Lee on using XLR mic for RTA when I visit them.

Which Swee Lee branch is the biggest with knowledgeable staff for PA?

------------------------

Mixer likely going Behringer X Air XR12 that was recommended by nastromo.

--------------------------

The Martin speakers are exactly from the linked that you stated. Not those Martin speakers in SLT.

----------------------------

Now left the with Karaoke Player. So far the option is only Thunderstone.

Last edited by yanguei; 27-09-2017 at 02:08 PM..
yanguei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #17

You might want to take a look at this.....

QSC TouchMix 8 Digital Mixer

It comes with Anti-Feedback and Room Tuning Wizards which simplify complex equalization tasks.

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/produ...rs/touchmix-8/
yanguei likes this.
nastromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:43 AM   #18

Downloaded the QSC manual.
It has built-in features for ggd QSC speakers. That will make the calibration easier for me.
However not clear whether can roll off low frequency to certain channels for subwoofer.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

The TouchMix 8 seems to be a good deal with all its features.

You can don't buy the DBX DriveRack/Gorack first, and decide whether if you really need it in the future.

Method 1

Assuming you have the QSC K8.2, I think there is no problem with setting the crossover frequency.

1. The Left output of the Mixer can go to the Input of the LEFT QSC K8.2, and the Right Output of the Mixer can go to the Input of the RIGHT QSC K8.2. You will require an XLR Cable for this.

2. The QSC K8.2 has a "Pass Through" Output. This allows you to pass the Input signal through the speaker to other audio equipments, called daisy chaining.

You can use a "XLR to RCA Cable" to chain the signal from one of the QSC 8.2 to one of your subwoofers. Do the same for both the left and right.

At this point, all signals from the Mixer will go to your speakers and subwoofer.

3. From page 15 of the K8.2 Manual (Link to the PDF), the K8.2 has this "Sub Setting" to allow the speaker to be used with a subwoofer. There are a few High Pass Filter settings in the "Sub setting" on the K8.2.

For example if the "Sub setting" is set to 80Hz on the QSC K8.2, the LPF to 80Hz on the Rythmik Subwoofer can be set to 80Hz.

Method 2

An "1 to 2 XLR Split Cable" can be used on both the L & R Output from the mixer, so there will be Two LEFT SIGNAL and Two RIGHT SIGNAL. One cable from the Left will go to the Left QSC K8.2, and one cable from the left will go to the Left Subwoofer.

Use the "Subsetting" on the K8.2 to set the HPF and set the LPF on the sub accordingly.
yanguei likes this.

Last edited by mypillowtalks; 02-10-2017 at 03:56 PM..
mypillowtalks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #20

Noted the 2 methods. thanks.

Hmmm... with the same investment of around SGD1,500, I can either

a) TouchMix-8 is SGD1,450 at Luthermusic eShop

b) Behringer X Air XR12 is estimated SGD650
DBX DriveRack 260 is SGD1,002 at Swee Lee eShop

Does XR12 + DriveRack > TouchMix-8?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #21

While studying DBx Venu 360, I realized that the feedback elimination feature can be also obtained via a dedicated DBx AF2 feedback elimination box at around SGD500.

So this might be an attractive option since my main objective is feedback elimination. At a home setting, I might not need ( or understand) the other features in Venu360.

I have placed the order for the QSC K8.2 locally and Behringer XR12 from Amazon ( cannot find stock in Singapore). Both arrival mid october.

Unable to find DBx AF2 locally. So might order this from overseas.

For the microphone, I will visit and get a pair of Sennheiser XSW 35 from Luthermusic. Might consider the second mic to be different to try out.

Thanks to all bros especially mypillowtalks and nastromo for the great explanation and information.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #22

Reading the XR12 manual. It has 2 TRS Aux out.
Can I use these TRX Aux out to subwoofer in line?
what would be the advantage or disadvantage of going thru the K8.2?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #23

Seriously i think these are overkill for a home karaoke. Point being is that the source of KTV songs are inconsistent. And you won't want to equalise every song.

I am considering upgrading to Yamaha Stagepas 400i. These are speakers used in live gigs. Cheapest i found online is around $1049 Everything you need is in there such as HPF, REVERBs except the music source. This Stagepas 400i handles up to 700W. MORE than the typical 100 to 250W for karaoke.

I bought 1 Android KTV box from taobao that you can select songs from your android phone. No subscription fees ever. Do a search on "K米"

This is the cheapest i found, but comes with only 5GB inbuild drive. I got a spare 3TB hard disk which i plugged into it and expanded my offline storage for songs.

And for MICs, unless you can afford few hundreds or thousands for quality wireless mics, the mic that i goes back to everytime is a AUDIO TECHNICA AT2010 at only $112.5 from citymusic. A condenser mic always picks up more details. I have another AKG D7 which cost $250++ which is a superb mic as well. But still prefer the AT2010.

If you do need key adjustment, you have to get a separate device on that because that Android KTV box above do not come with software key adjustment now, But might have in future upgrades.
alferseet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #24

Unlikely I will learn how to equalize. My teenage son might want though

Venu360 is the lowest priority. If just feedback elimination, I will consider AF2.

For crossover for subwoofer, both my Rthymik and QSC can set crossover frequency. I will try that once the cables come in.

For mic, I only tried at Luther Music. Nice guy. I bought the Sennheiser e835 wireless for myself. I just need a simple as I will not be singing much.

Will be bringing my wife to Luther to try out other mics there.

--------------------

Progress so far

The QSC K8.2 speakers arrived. Still waiting for the XR12.

My wife could not wait, so I connect the Sennheiser receiver to one of the QSC K8.2 directly. I connect the KOD Player to my HT system.

The quality of the mic and speakers immediately show that they are significantly above the usual mic and sound we had at KTV.

We were even thinking we might just want to continue with this arrangement of playing the music thru the HT system

Now waiting for the mixer to come so that I can compare
(a) the music mixed with vocal and play through the QSC
(b) vocal thru QSC and music thru HT
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.