Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Logitech Revue- Google TV Box @ USD99

Like Tree3Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #46
High Supremacy Member

Does it come default installed with honeycomb or we will have to upgrade it ourselves?
think ts did mention that he got to install honeycomb beta.
tekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #47
Master Member

The unit shipped with official latest FW @ Android 2.1 custom for Google TV which is close system, no Android Market, no side loading(install your own android app), purely media player + some TV optimised online streaming websites.

Conclusion on the Official @ 2.1 FW => Not attractive,features so so,not much different compare to other boxes except the friendly Android UI with full qwerty& mouse pad. As a result, Google TV is not selling well.

HoneyComb Beta update is straight forward(if you have done Android phone update before).

Rule of thumb for FW update..Never ever power down the unit before the whole process complete. Patient and wait when in doubt..
HMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #48

Currently the key advantage of the revue to other boxes or smart tv is the full-blown Chrome web browser with Flash version 10

Conclusion on the Official @ 2.1 FW => Not attractive,features so so,not much different compare to other boxes except the friendly Android UI with full qwerty& mouse pad.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #49

Will honeycomb beta have googleTV in it? or no point having it?
huffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #50
Master Member

Currently the key advantage of the revue to other boxes or smart tv is the full-blown Chrome web browser with Flash version 10
Are you using the honeycomb beta otherwise try that ,it is much better than the officialfw.yes the full features chrome browser is very good
Old 23-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #51

ok.. got myself 1 box as the USD is increasing. Tried to install dropbox from the website using the stock firmware and it doesn't have any application to recognize and open it? Tried to launch a few video under spotlight and all require US IP address . Think i may need VPN / proxy but the box doesn't support such features. Sigh..
Oh yah, when I first hook up to my 42" Toshiba TV..all I got was grey screen, only after few research, decided to try on another 29" TV and it worked.
Old 23-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #52
Master Member

ok.. got myself 1 box as the USD is increasing. Tried to install dropbox from the website using the stock firmware and it doesn't have any application to recognize and open it? Tried to launch a few video under spotlight and all require US IP address . Think i may need VPN / proxy but the box doesn't support such features. Sigh..
Oh yah, when I first hook up to my 42" Toshiba TV..all I got was grey screen, only after few research, decided to try on another 29" TV and it worked.
welcome to the club..
Read my post..the shipped with FW is close system.No installation of apps ALLOWED.
Upgrade to Honeycomb 3.1 beta to get market and sideloading features...

Go gtvhacker.com to read carefully on procedure to upgrade FW..indeed it is not complicated, the flow is like below
http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/HC3.1onRevue

Proven working..i have done exact same upgrade from Android 2.1 to HoneyComb 3.1Beta
Copy the update.zip to a Fat32 formatted USB drive, place it in its root (ie /mnt/usb/update.zip or E:\update.zip) Plug USB drive into Revue. Fully unplug revue. Plug it back in, count to One (a long one, say one mississippi), then hold down the connect button (keep it held). The Revue logo will come up, and the box will reboot, your tv will lose signal, and come back to the Revue logo. At this point, let go of the button. The GTV logo will then show up, with an arrow and a horizontal "barbershop scroll". At this point, on your Revue's keyboard, press the FN key (in yellow) and the left arrow (to the left of the OK button). It will then come up to a recovery menu. Hit "Apply update from sdcard:/update.zip" The box will verify the update, and reboot. This is normal. It is installing an updated bootloader and recovery image (both, heavily encrypted). Then, the box will come back on, and flash the latest kernel and system files. Once this is done, the box will reboot again. This bootup may take a few minutes, at first you will see the Revue logo, then the Google TV logo, then the "new" logo (a grey tv over a ball glowing red). Just wait it out. You can then begin setup, as normal. You may notice some crashes - this software is still beta, you should be able to force close and continue.
After 3.1, the recovery triggering key changed to Fn + L

Last edited by HMAN; 23-09-2011 at 12:45 PM..
Old 23-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #53

hmm. thanx for the tip. Having bricked my psp once and increasing of USD I'm still contemplating on flashing the beta version and the official is target to release sometime juz before end of Sep? By the way, I've read that there's a release of the 2nd version of the beta (which requires you to have flashed the first version of beta), have you tried that? Also any advise to be able to watch cartoon network and the rest outside USA? Cheers!
Old 23-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #54

welcome to the club..
Read my post..the shipped with FW is close system.No installation of apps ALLOWED.
Upgrade to Honeycomb 3.1 beta to get market and sideloading features...

Go gtvhacker.com to read carefully on procedure to upgrade FW..indeed it is not complicated, the flow is like below
http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/HC3.1onRevue

Proven working..i have done exact same upgrade from Android 2.1 to HoneyComb 3.1Beta
Copy the update.zip to a Fat32 formatted USB drive, place it in its root (ie /mnt/usb/update.zip or E:\update.zip) Plug USB drive into Revue. Fully unplug revue. Plug it back in, count to One (a long one, say one mississippi), then hold down the connect button (keep it held). The Revue logo will come up, and the box will reboot, your tv will lose signal, and come back to the Revue logo. At this point, let go of the button. The GTV logo will then show up, with an arrow and a horizontal "barbershop scroll". At this point, on your Revue's keyboard, press the FN key (in yellow) and the left arrow (to the left of the OK button). It will then come up to a recovery menu. Hit "Apply update from sdcard:/update.zip" The box will verify the update, and reboot. This is normal. It is installing an updated bootloader and recovery image (both, heavily encrypted). Then, the box will come back on, and flash the latest kernel and system files. Once this is done, the box will reboot again. This bootup may take a few minutes, at first you will see the Revue logo, then the Google TV logo, then the "new" logo (a grey tv over a ball glowing red). Just wait it out. You can then begin setup, as normal. You may notice some crashes - this software is still beta, you should be able to force close and continue.
After 3.1, the recovery triggering key changed to Fn + L

This is getting interesting

May I ask,
1) After upgrading to the 3.1, will be able to install any .apk file easy straight from the TV?
2) Able to install any apps that is available for android tablet? And also like playing angry bird for eg?
3) Able to play flash and any video streaming content from any website (similar to our PC), previously heard that streaming is blocked and so on.
4) Need to disable the automatic update?

If can do all these will be great. Previously i was looking at the Palladine Internet TV box durint the PC shows...

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance...
jlekssp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #55
Master Member

hmm. thanx for the tip. Having bricked my psp once and increasing of USD I'm still contemplating on flashing the beta version and the official is target to release sometime juz before end of Sep? By the way, I've read that there's a release of the 2nd version of the beta (which requires you to have flashed the first version of beta), have you tried that? Also any advise to be able to watch cartoon network and the rest outside USA? Cheers!
The latest honeycomb userdebug version removes the recovery menu..that mean no more manual upgrade of FW..that is no no to me..

the Honecomb beta 1 is good enough for me.
Old 23-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #56
Master Member

1) After upgrading to the 3.1, will be able to install any .apk file easy straight from the TV?
Yes..after upgrade to 3.1, the google TV box will behave like the standard android phone..allow installation of app manually and install direct from Android Market.
I have put in file manager which can be used to install apk .

2) Able to install any apps that is available for android tablet? And also like playing angry bird for eg?
Not all apk will work on google TV
3) Able to play flash and any video streaming content from any website (similar to our PC), previously heard that streaming is blocked and so on.
The default chrome browser flash version is 10.2...,of course can play flash stuff..For video streaming, support most file format..
4) Need to disable the automatic update?
=> For what purpose..
Old 24-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #57

The latest honeycomb userdebug version removes the recovery menu..that mean no more manual upgrade of FW..that is no no to me..

the Honecomb beta 1 is good enough for me.
then again...since honeycomb beta 1 isn't the "official" fw.. any issues should the real official fw is released? so far I have pptv, qiyi video, tudou, UC, youku, 乐视 and a few others to watch on my SGSII. hopefully all these are able to run on honeycomb. Understand that you have managed to get a few running on you honeycomb beta as well. sorry to have asked so many quesions guess u're the only one here with 3.1 is sharing haha..cheers!
Old 24-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #58
Master Member

Choice is yours . The honeycomb beta is definitely better than the official fw. I don't worry of not getting back official fw ota as I can put back current official fw back if I want.

As this is usd99 only, don't really worry on messing it up, yes I don't dare to touch my $3k+++ 55 inch internet TV despite the software is much more hopeless than Google box .

Last edited by HMAN; 24-09-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Old 24-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #59

Just recieved my set last evening.,,,have not done anything yet with it. Not even installed it yet. Will give a try the next few days,
kasahwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #60

I also just got my set on Friday.Updated with HC 3.1.

Many apps don't work on this Logitech Revue, eg: Angry Bird, PPS, Yuoku, Qi Yi TV.

So far tested working apps, are PPTV, Le TV, Facebook, OI File Manager,HI APK, Market.

any recommend for TV/movie apps?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.