HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Minix Neo X5

Like Tree10Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #76

There are reasons why people would go over the trouble to get X5 from overseas instead of getting many of the Android TV boxes available locally. You can search around.
I don't really watch HK, Korea or ESPN. Good streaming is a plus as I see the demo of G4. Actually very impress by it. But I will still prefer good resolution plus good audio. That why I asked can it support audio 5.1.
Anyway not ruling out buying 1 at this moment. But AC Ryan seem to fit my need more.
SKWSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #77
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think it's known that the Minix X5 does not support 5.1 according to their website. Many feedback requesting it be supported in future firmware updates. Not sure when or if.

No comment on AC Ryan.

I don't really watch HK, Korea or ESPN. Good streaming is a plus as I see the demo of G4. Actually very impress by it. But I will still prefer good resolution plus good audio. That why I asked can it support audio 5.1.
Anyway not ruling out buying 1 at this moment. But AC Ryan seem to fit my need more.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #78

i currently owned the AC Ryan Veolo and I love it to bits.
you can read some of my thoughts on the Veolo at the link below.

AC Ryan VEOLO

But I have to be honest, i'm looking for a replacement.
The downfall of the Veolo is that AC Ryan literally gave up providing support.
Till today, Veolo still runs on Android 2.2 Froyo.

so in a sense, the lack of updates cripples the Veolo.
As a multimedia device to run movies off your NAS and the occasional youtube surfing...its fine.

but if you're looking to run the latest apps like XBMC, better look else where.
DailyRoutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #79

I am actually newbie to all these. Will the XBMC that is mentioned solve the audio problem?
I understand that most media player does not support high external HDD. May I know what does x5 support till? Just 2TB?
Old 11-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #80

5.1 Audio support on Android (Readings)

Here is an interesting thread on 5.1 Audio Sound on Android.
5.1 sound - not working despite trying ffmpeg and mxplayer
see post #40
and this
http://minixforums.com/threads/no-su...dif-output.94/
and this
http://minixforums.com/threads/updat...dio.365/page-2
Awaiting for the new firmware.....

Last edited by bctiong; 11-03-2013 at 04:36 PM..
bctiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #81

Anyway Minix is working on new firmware.
Quoted"S/PDIF passthrough beta will be released on this month's firmware~"
I'm not sure what is that but in their FB it seems like the 5.1 audio is on the way. There won't be any HDMI passthrough"
It is for x5 only and not G4.

Last edited by SKWSMC; 11-03-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #82

its good that Minix has a proper tech support team - always working on new firmwares.
Sadly cant say the same for AC Ryan.

But until Minix releases a firmware that can support 5.1, I'll just have to stick to the Veolo.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #83

its good that Minix has a proper tech support team - always working on new firmwares.

But until Minix releases a firmware that can support 5.1, I'll just have to stick to the Veolo.
AC Ryan system can already support 5.1 for both otical and HDMI. So there sin't a need for them to do so. And to poin out Minix can not suppor HDMI 5.1 audio.
There are always pro and con for each system.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #84

AC Ryan system can already support 5.1 for both otical and HDMI. So there sin't a need for them to do so. And to poin out Minix can not suppor HDMI 5.1 audio.
There are always pro and con for each system.
But AC Ryan firmware has not been updated for ages. and because of this, I'm having more and more problems updating apps.

Here's one example....the latest youtube app (4.3.9) requires Google Services Framework which is only available on Android 4.0 (ICS). But because Veolo runs on Android 2.2 (Froyo), I cannot update the YouTube app.

There was once I updated it by mistake and everytime i launch the youtube app, the app crashed. So the only solution was to find older Youtube apks to install into the Veolo manually.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #85

But AC Ryan firmware has not been updated for ages. and because of this, I'm having more and more problems updating apps.

Here's one example....the latest youtube app (4.3.9) requires Google Services Framework which is only available on Android 4.0 (ICS). But because Veolo runs on Android 2.2 (Froyo), I cannot update the YouTube app.

There was once I updated it by mistake and everytime i launch the youtube app, the app crashed. So the only solution was to find older Youtube apks to install into the Veolo manually.
1 of the main reason why I didn't buy Veolo is because it is running of Android 2.2. It seems that AC Ryan has not intention to keep this device.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #86

anyone can advice which xmbc addon have those documentary e.g animal planet, discovery, nat geo. Also fox movie, hbo movie?
martintylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #87

Time will tell I guess.
|HunterX| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #88
Master Member

It is cheaper to get the Minix at Hong Kong?
Sambuca78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #89

It is cheaper to get the Minix at Hong Kong?
As my knowledge, the RP in China is RMB549 for base set.
Old 14-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #90

Anyone familiar with Droidmote can help me create a Touch Profile for MineCraft game? TQ.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.