Replacing my Yanaha 863

stpaul

Reaction score
Replacing my Yamaha 863

Need some advice long time never read up and update. My Yamaha AV receiver spoiled again. Second time already so thinking of changing since already more than 5 yrs old already. Don't want to spend too much already so narrowed it to a few models.
Option 1 - RX A850 its used warranty til may 2017 $800
Option 2 - RX V681 Brand new price around $950
Option 3 - Denon 3300 Price $1100

Thinking of going with Denon. Since my last last 3 AVs were all yamaha. Any comments advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I'm using my AV basically for home theater and at times music. I'm using B&W CM8 and CM centers and an older pair of B&W for rear located HDB living room.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When I can't decide, I go for the brand that cost more expensive in USA yet costs cheaper here. So Denon wins.

Reason - When people write reviews, they compare the performance of the product with alternatives at the same price point. So if product A @ price $x can fight against product B @ price $x, yet product A is cheaper than product B here, then product A becomes the logical choice.

Ok, more serious mode,

Your Yamaha died twice already you dare to buy a third one with 3 month warranty left? :D

Ok, more serious mode,

Denon wins slightly where power is concerned. Yamaha wins in measured performance in normal usage; Yamaha usually wins in this department when compared to others in the price range. And Denon's datasheet ownself says the D/A is a poor performer which I find hard to believe... it's 2017 and at this price point it'd be impossible to do just 0.008% / 102dB.

So conclusion: Check the features you need. If that doesn't break the tie, back to first point above.

stpaul

Reaction score
Thanks Bro!!! Yeah was actually eyeing the Denon already following your first advise hahahaha My Yamaha 863 served me 6-7 years so quite ok already. Most probably will fix it and just use bedroom 2.1 set up hahahahaha

stpaul

Reaction score
Settled for Denon AVR X3300 @ $950 satisfied with the performance not as punchy compared to my old yamaha but it'll do.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.