DBS loan compulsory Property insurance

haydentan

Reaction score
Anyone is currently with DBS for your HDB purchase? I received a letter that Chubb will replace the MSIG property insurance, however, there is no further detail like the premium and coverage. Can I complain if the Chubb plan is not as good as MSIG? I don’t think so as I cannot terminate this compulsory insurance. We are just under the mercy of the bank I Guess.

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Anyone is currently with DBS for your HDB purchase? I received a letter that Chubb will replace the MSIG property insurance, however, there is no further detail like the premium and coverage. Can I complain if the Chubb plan is not as good as MSIG? I don’t think so as I cannot terminate this compulsory insurance. We are just under the mercy of the bank I Guess.

I don't think there's any compulsory insurance if you took a bank loan. Other than HDB's appointed insurer eTiqa for fire insurance, the others are secondary.

Unless these were specified in your loan terms.

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I received a letter that Chubb will replace the MSIG property insurance, however, there is no further detail like the premium and coverage. Can I complain if the Chubb plan is not as good as MSIG?

Why not you just wait for more details before even thinking about complaining? Which type of plan is it, term or life? Coverage for such plans are pretty standard, and as long as the premium is not higher than what you used to pay, that should be good.

I don’t think so as I cannot terminate this compulsory insurance. We are just under the mercy of the bank I Guess.

If you think you cannot do anything about it, then no point complaining here either. If you cancel the current plan and start with another, you will likely be paying higher premium due to age and possible loading due to medical conditions after signing of the existing plan.

belgarathc

Reaction score
I received the same letter. Isnt it mentioned that the coverage and premium will be the same? That's what I remember but I already thrown the letter away. :p

ixoral

Reaction score
I took up a dbs loan last Nov and was told the insurance is compulsory. Anyway it’s not a lot, abt $58/year.

ry0suk1

Master Member
Reaction score
as according to hdb rules that insurance is a must if taking bank loan. you can buy HDB insurance not compulsory to take bank insurance..

halfnode

Reaction score
Do note that this is to protect the bank. If you’re protecting your own house contents etc. you still need to get your own home insurance.

gonewiththesmart

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So cheap mean it's only building insurance, ie to rebuild the building if it collapse.. Or cannot be occupied.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.