HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HDB Occupier VS co-owner

Like Tree7Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #16

therat, thanks, didn't know about this. Actually, I cannot buy flat on my own at the moment (coz I'm PR, not Singaporean), but it's interesting to know what is better in the long run - continue being an occupier or switch to HDB co-owner.

Officer from HDB got back to me and told that we can do a transfer, it will cost about 1K+, can be paid by CPF.

Btw, if I become a co-owner, do we BOTH have to pay for HDB flat? Or, the loan can be under one person only (my hubby)?
Hi, I have the same scenario 8 years back with my wife who was just a PR and I am a singaporean. I changed her status from a occupier to co-owner and all the transfer fees paid by CPF. The problems was if u don't add in your name as co-owner and anythings went wrong with the owner...U will not get a single cent back.
Old 26-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for your input. Ya, I realize that I don't own anything.

I actually wrote an email to HDB officer asking for the transfer procedure. Was trying to find information on HDB website, but there it's mostly about ownership transfer and many fees involved (stamp fee, valuation fee ets). I'm confused if we need to pay all that in our case or not, as it seems to be such a simple case - just changing occupier to co-owner.

My concern is that If I become a co-owner does it mean, that my hubby will get some of his CPF back and I will have to contribute my share by CPF? My CPF is quite small for now, not sure if it's gonna be enough. What if I was paying for the flat till now in cash? - are they gonna take this amount as my "share"? Can I continue paying by Giro? wah, too many questions...

If HDB officer replies I'll let you know.
therat, thanks, didn't know about this. Actually, I cannot buy flat on my own at the moment (coz I'm PR, not Singaporean), but it's interesting to know what is better in the long run - continue being an occupier or switch to HDB co-owner.

Officer from HDB got back to me and told that we can do a transfer, it will cost about 1K+, can be paid by CPF.

Btw, if I become a co-owner, do we BOTH have to pay for HDB flat? Or, the loan can be under one person only (my hubby)?
Since both of you are muslims, Intestate Succession Act doesn't apply to both of you even if he has a will or not.

Anything that is related to matters of marriage, divorce, guardianship and inheritance of Muslims in Singapore are governed by administration of Muslim Law Act.

Back to your earlier question regarding to the transfer of your occupier to co-owner status, it can be done at your nearest HDB branch office.

I did mine at HDB branch office, to transfer my wife occupier status to co-owner. I think during the process, the officer will re-access my HDB loan, pay the valuation fees, stamp fees, sign some documents and also the Home Protection Scheme. All paid thru' my CPF.

The monthly HDB loan is paid by my CPF only, and my wife doesn't contribute any to the loan as her CPF is very insignificant.

Hope this helps you.
KopRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #18

KopRulez, c1528351, - thank you, that was very helpful!

Since both of you are muslims, Intestate Succession Act doesn't apply to both of you even if he has a will or not.

Anything that is related to matters of marriage, divorce, guardianship and inheritance of Muslims in Singapore are governed by administration of Muslim Law Act.
KopRulez, just to double-check - Muslim Law Act applicable even if I'm just an occupier? Or, we must own a flat as co-owners? I was browsing Muis website, but all their examples referring to joint tenancy. I've sent an email to Muis representative (yeah, I like sending emails. ), so waiting for his confirmation.
nuar777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

KopRulez, c1528351, - thank you, that was very helpful!

KopRulez, just to double-check - Muslim Law Act applicable even if I'm just an occupier? Or, we must own a flat as co-owners? I was browsing Muis website, but all their examples referring to joint tenancy. I've sent an email to Muis representative (yeah, I like sending emails. ), so waiting for his confirmation.
You need to be informed on this, An occupier co-lives in the unit but does not contribute to the paying of the house, and therefore legally he/she does not have a share owning the unit. Co-owner will have a share in the property but not necessary contributing to the service of housing loan.

What I know is this, some civil laws still prevails over Muslim law if there is a conflict of laws in matters other than those covered by Muslim laws.

You will be "protected" somehow if you are an co-owner and take up HPS with HDB, or your hubby has many siblings and relative etc....
nuar777 likes this.
Old 26-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #20

KopRulez, thanks a lot for clarification!
Old 26-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
Master Member

IMO, if you not working or has young children.
Better to be co-owner. This is to protect yourself and your young children.
In case, anything happen, at least you still had a roof top.
Assume the main bread provider has buy HPS.

Don't assume, your family has good relationship etc.
There are many cases, family fight when money get involve.
Old 26-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

KopRulez, thanks a lot for clarification!
nuar777, I have found this from a law consulting firm.

Islamic Law

In a 2-party joint tenancy, the surviving tenant will only own 1/2 plus her faraid share of the property

eg Wife gets (1/2 + 1/4 of = 5/8) of property if deceased has no children.
Old 26-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
Supremacy Member

don't think is possible.

If can, you will see alot of couple own 2 HDBs.

Some couples are separated and then bought their own HDB. Then they stay together to invest their property.
civicguy likes this.
megaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
High Supremacy Member

sorry to sidetrack a little...

currently my wife & i are owners of our current HDB ("A") and we may upgrade to a bigger one ("B") soon.

can i be the owner and my wife the occupier if i am the only one servicing the loan ("B")? if she is the occupier of "B", can she take over her parent's flat when they pass on?
not sure if anyone answered my question above?

o0KelviN0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #25

Hey guys, thanks a lot! Your replies are really helpful.

I will update the thread if get any more updates from MUIS, but for now it's quite clear that a couple need to own a flat as co-owners in order to be protected by both Civil and Muslim laws.

Thanks a lot.
Old 26-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #26
Master Member

Some couples are separated and then bought their own HDB. Then they stay together to invest their property.
what kind of family value are the parents trying to teach their children.
Old 27-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #27
Master Member

once you own a HDB, your occupier status in another flat will be remove.

I was register as occupier at my MIL HDB. She is the only owner.
When we bought a HDB, our name (me and my spouse) automatic remove from my MIL occupier.
Just to add to what your mentioned.

I am an owner of a flat which I sublet wholly. I am now staying at my sister's flat and I have changed the address in my NRIC accordingly. I also wanted to register myself as authorised occupier in my sis flat. However, HDB does not allow me because they said I am an owner of a HDB flat.
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #28
Master Member

not sure if anyone answered my question above?
HDB's rule is clear. Husband and wife, including "essential occupier" cannot own HDB flats separately.
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #29
Supremacy Member

what kind of family value are the parents trying to teach their children.
From my observation, the couples do not have kid ....
megaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
Master Member

From my observation, the couples do not have kid ....
Oh!

The story I heard is the couples has 2 childrens.
Each one take one.
Then buy 2 HDB Flats under divorce scheme.

Rent out one and stay together.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.