Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Moi Simpur s$27k Renovation Journey

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2016, 01:18 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

Moi Simpur s$27k Renovation Journey

Hi everyone,

Just wanna share my reno journey ... and I guess also as a journal / reminder for myself

Anyway moi place is a humble 2br+1study, 915sqft resale condo (the 1st owner took keys almost 2 years ago but strangely enough never moved in ...). So it's "resale" but "never occupied"

Post #1: Day 0 after just took keys - floorplan & some photos of how the unit looks like before starting any work.
Post #9: Day 0 haven't start work yet - some additional photo of kitchen cabinet (comes with condo) + description of what work we want to do + the ID's first 3d rendering.
Post #18: Day 3 first on-site meeting with electrician, ceiling guy, ID and project co-ordinator. Electrician costs + some "wear and tear" items noticed.
Post #24: Day 7 feels quite fast, the ID already arranged to cardboard the floors and wrap up the aircons. Nice! I also need to choose washing machine & fridge based on some very small measurements ...
Post #39: Day 9 The workers started taking down the (old) false ceiling to put back new one (cos of the many many brown spots).
Post #42: Day 12 The false ceiling in living / dining room and master bedroom completed! Also the electrician also came and did a bit of the wiring ...
Post #44: Day 26 ID painted the walls of the house ... before doing lights / carpentry, strangely.
Post #62: Day 34 Went to visit the place to meet curtains lady and saw that the lights and fans all delivered (but not installed yet).
Post #63: Day 41 After a week ... lights and fans all installed, carpentry also more or less quite done, place starting to look nice now!!
Post #71: Day 46 Renovation work mostly pretty much all done!! Also took delivery of a TV and sound system. Now to touch up defects and take official handover from ID and then wait for the rest of the furniture ...
Post #72: Day 54 Took delivery of bomb shelter rack, half of the curtains and balcony blinds, kevo smart home lock and laundry drying rack ...
Post #83: Day 56 Delivery / Installation of shower caddy, fridge, washer/dryer and MyRepublic Internet ...
Post #88: Day 61 Second curtains installation (cos they screwed up measurements for the first visit).
Post #112: Day ?? Final photos of bedroom & living/dining room and also the ID details and overall review.

Floorplan ...

Day 0 starts when took keys from lawyer office!! Jin heypi. Balcony overlooks road ... hopefully it isn't TOO noisy But moi budget dun allow to have pool facing high floor lol.

Living room ... moi dun really want to do much renovation but moi wife die die also insist on doing ...

The other side, can see dining area. One main thing I dun like is the bomb shelter door open to the dining area. Don't know why the architect didn't open it facing main door instead then dining table can stick to the side and no need leave space for bomb shelter opening ...

Kitchen comes with oven, stove and hood (Bosch), but no fridge. Fridge opening only 80cm, so the choice of fridge we can buy is quite limited ...

Masterbedroom ... new-ish layout, the rooms SIBEH small, put bed liao 100% cannot put desk or anything else sia ...

Just take a shot of the toilet also, but moi dun plan to do any work here.

gchen86 likes this.

Last edited by deodorant; 02-03-2017 at 07:49 AM..
deodorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 02:25 AM   #2

Common toilet entrance is in bedroom 2? Or did I see wrongly
sinkiepwnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Honorary Member

Wow nice looking unit!
The_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #4

Nice and simple! What flooring did you choose?
duckie_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Great Supremacy Member

Looks like the condo original default flooring?
Gixxerfied is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #6
Master Member

This is definitely treasure trove
Advancer likes this.
flashover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #7

Wow .. $27K ..
Poor old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

Common toilet entrance is in bedroom 2? Or did I see wrongly
Haha both bedrooms have their own toilet ... and then there is a third super small (literally like 10-15sqft) toilet at the yard area outside the kitchen.

Looks like the condo original default flooring?
Yeah, condo default flooring ba, I dun plan to change it. Some sort of wood parquet in the bedrooms (a bit drying out cos of almost 2 years of neglect), other rooms homogenous tiles.

This is definitely treasure trove
yeah lol

Last edited by deodorant; 25-10-2016 at 09:12 AM..
Old 25-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
Supremacy Member

Just one random shot of the kitchen drawers (come together with condo de)

Anyway Day 0 continued ... We engaged an ID and then wanted to do only the following:
- Living room / dining room false ceiling
- Living room TV cabinet area plus full wall cabinets for storage
- Feature to hide the bomb shelter
- Master bedroom
- Study

Decided to leave the rest "as is" and don't touch:
- Second bedroom (just gonna put lights and bed)
- Kitchen (buy fridge only)
- Yard (buy own hanging clothes laundry rack, washing machine)
- Bomb Shelter (buy own cabinet)
- Toilets (maybe might DIY a backside spray hose thing)

ID quote is around $27k for all that. The 3d looks like this so we'll see in 1-2 months time whether it end up looking like this or not ...

(mosaic'ed the ID logo cos moi dunno issit allowed to anyhow share publicly or not lol)

Last edited by deodorant; 25-10-2016 at 09:20 AM..
Old 25-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #10

So the photos are before or after?
popeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
Supremacy Member

So the photos are before or after?
1st post photos are all "before," can see the lighting points just got wires and no lights lol. condo normally come with the kitchen and toilets quite renovated liao ba.
Old 25-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

subscribed to see how it turns out, next year I'm also taking possession and intending to do roughly the same amount of reno.

didn't know condos got bomb shelter, or is it that the newer condos have scrapped the bomb shelter in the house and built common area shelters instead?
mero_cwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #13
Supremacy Member

didn't know condos got bomb shelter, or is it that the newer condos have scrapped the bomb shelter in the house and built common area shelters instead?
the vast majority of condos i went to see within my budget, the bomb shelter is in the staircase (shared among all units), so inside the unit no bomb shelter.

but no bomb shelter also means no store room.

for me the fact that this unit got store room and also a yard with drying ledge was a big factor in choosing it, so no need to hang clothes on the balcony which IMO is ugly as hell.
Old 25-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #14

Thanks for sharing your reno journey!
Looking forward to seeing the final product.
tokidoki_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
Master Member

Hi everyone,

Just wanna share my reno journey ... and I guess also as a journal / reminder for myself

Anyway moi place is a humble 2br+1study, 915sqft resale condo (the 1st owner took keys almost 2 years ago but strangely enough never moved in ...). So it's "resale" but "never occupied"
How much? Got low-balled the seller ma?
Sambuca78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.