4D3N - How much to bring

mattmms

Reaction score
Hi there, I know this question is subjective to individual's spending habits but I just want a gauge of how much to bring.

Accommodation has been paid for. What I am looking at is

a) Light shopping at maybe outlet stores (not more than 200 SGD)
b) Transport (probably 2 or 3 taxi trips in between, other than that bus or train)
c) Food - likely 2 or 3 meals in a restaurant, the rest will be casual (restaurant not meaning not high end establishments but not Cha Chan Teng as well)
c) A few attractions like Victoria Peak
d) Finish off with a couple of drink in Lan Kwai Fong

With a program like this, how much do you think would be sufficient?

Thanks in advance

tiger2013

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are staying at a hotel, they typically collect HKD500 cash for deposit the moment you check in. It doesn't matter if your accommodation is paid for. The deposit will be returned to you when you check out and they confirm that nothing is lost/damaged. Otherwise, they will deduct from that or ask you to pay extra if HKD500 is not enough. So, HKD500 is already gone.

Hostel/Airbnb and the likes - check their policy or ask the owner. If they don't collect anything, then whatever extra HKD you have can be spent on other things or saved.

Attraction prices are fixed. Do a Google search for the ticket prices and convert accordingly.

Transportation - if you take train and bus all the way, you won't need more than HKD400 inside your Octopus card. But if you use your Octopus card to pay for various things in HK, you will definitely need more than that. For taxi, it depends on the distance. For short distances, less than HKD100. If you are going across island (e.g. Kowloon to New Territories), it will be over HKD100.

Shopping - you estimate yourself, but please buffer in case overspend.

Eating - depends on what you eat? At restaurant, at least HKD100 per meal...

Calculate the fixed prices first (e.g. hotel deposit, attraction tickets). Those spendings are confirmed gone. The rest get an estimate and put in some buffer.

mattmms

Reaction score
If you are staying at a hotel, they typically collect HKD500 cash for deposit the moment you check in. It doesn't matter if your accommodation is paid for. The deposit will be returned to you when you check out and they confirm that nothing is lost/damaged. Otherwise, they will deduct from that or ask you to pay extra if HKD500 is not enough. So, HKD500 is already gone.

Hostel/Airbnb and the likes - check their policy or ask the owner. If they don't collect anything, then whatever extra HKD you have can be spent on other things or saved.

Attraction prices are fixed. Do a Google search for the ticket prices and convert accordingly.

Transportation - if you take train and bus all the way, you won't need more than HKD400 inside your Octopus card. But if you use your Octopus card to pay for various things in HK, you will definitely need more than that. For taxi, it depends on the distance. For short distances, less than HKD100. If you are going across island (e.g. Kowloon to New Territories), it will be over HKD100.

Shopping - you estimate yourself, but please buffer in case overspend.

Eating - depends on what you eat? At restaurant, at least HKD100 per meal...

Calculate the fixed prices first (e.g. hotel deposit, attraction tickets). Those spendings are confirmed gone. The rest get an estimate and put in some buffer.

Hi there, thanks for the useful information. I have begun to do what you suggested. Btw, does anyone know how much a glass of wine cost in Lan Kwai Fong? I've read that it is around 150 HKD for a glass of cocktail. What about champagne, red wine or white wine? An estimation of?

xsurycx

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for the useful information. I have begun to do what you suggested. Btw, does anyone know how much a glass of wine cost in Lan Kwai Fong? I've read that it is around 150 HKD for a glass of cocktail. What about champagne, red wine or white wine? An estimation of?

4d3n.

1k sgd should be enough.

its quite pathetic to count to the very cents of each glass of drinks. if the ambience is nice, its ok to pay a little more. and fyi, the price should be ard the price in clark quay in SG.

work hard, play hard bro!

mattmms

Reaction score
4d3n.

1k sgd should be enough.

its quite pathetic to count to the very cents of each glass of drinks. if the ambience is nice, its ok to pay a little more. and fyi, the price should be ard the price in clark quay in SG.

work hard, play hard bro!

I know what you mean bro but because I don't intend to bring any credit cards there, so I am counting the cost. I am trying not to burst the 1.5K SGD per person budget.

Last edited:

xsurycx

Master Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean bro but because I don't intend to bring any credit cards there, so I am counting the cost. I am trying not to burst the 1.5K SGD per person budget. 3K SGD for 2 for 4D3N

wah lau. 1.5k is more than enough haha.

i went hk 5d4n with buying of legos still within my 2k. so no prob for you.

if travelling tim is not an issue for u. u still can take bus to city without taking the aiport train (which cost much more)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.