HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Kowloon or HK Island?

Like Tree22Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #16

hi, i was in hong kong last month for 8 days and i stayed in eaton hotel. perhaps i can give u some info on the hotel. eaton is quite nice on the whole, i have no regrets in choosing the hotel, check in and check out was quite fuss-free. the nearest mtr station is jordan and its about 5 to 10 mins walk from the mtr (exit B). also, there is free tour (including temple streets, timing wise is approx an hour), you can find more info on the advert at the entrance at the hotel. another thing to note is you need to pay a deposit of HKD 1000 (can be cash or CC), this will be returned to you upon check out. remember to try the tsui wah resturant opposite eaton, they serve a wide variety of food, i tried their breakfast and olive fried rice, it's quite tasty! prices are quite affordable too. the restaurant opens until quite late, at least til past midnight.

downside of the hotel: the room is very very small!! i hardly had any space to walk, but maybe i chose the normal rooms, not the deluxe ones. room was kept clean, so no worries. sth stupid about the room, the bathroom has a full length window, so ppl outside can see you showering inside! dont know what the hotel ppl are thinking when they designed the bathroom. but anw, you can pull down the blind from outside, but sometime you can still see a bit of what's inside the shower from the side.

as for your itinerary, i have been to 1) to 4) and 6) on your list, i didnt go to citygate as my tour guide told me that there is nothing much to buy over there. the stuff are quite outdated, or so i heard.

oh ya, there were a lot of ah tiongs (rowdy and cut queue) in ocean park, disneyland and wax museum..

hope the above helps! if u need anymore info, you can PM me.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Greatly appreciate it. Didn't know about the deposit. I will take note of the eateries you mentioned and definitely will spend time to try them!

Heard about those shower rooms. But it's fine for me since it's just me and my girl.

Would you care to share with me your shopping experiences? Don't really no where to shop I'm leaving out Ap Lei Chau because many fellow bros say its not worth it travelling all the way there. And for attractions do you book the tickets online usually?

Ah tiongs again... probably bring along pest spray to keep them away...

re the vegetarian food, cant comment much coz the last time i tried was in 2008>.<had done a google search for u & found this: Po Lin Monastery. it's just inside Po Lin Monastery.
erm i spent 1 full day @ Disney, from 10.30am-10.30pm whereas for OP, i spent like 1/2 day...

eh...am only 2 years older than u arh>.<makan arh...for experience, can try Tien Yi @ The Peak, Neptune's Restaurant @ OP (we asked for seat overlooking the penguins thus the wait was like about 2hrs+, once u got a q no. u can roam around other places & go back to the restaurant constantly to check on the q) & Echanted Garden @ Disneyland Hotel (dine with your fav Disney characters).

the rest of the makan places i went to r: Tim Ho Wan @ HK Airport Express (alot nicer than the 1 in SG), Yuen Kee Restaurant @ TST (roast goose rice), Australia Dairy Company @ Jordan (scrambled egg), Mak Man Kee noodle shop @ Jordan (side by side with Australia Dairy), Hing Kee Restaurant @ YMT (claypot rice), Sweet Dynasty @ TST (dessert) & not forgetting, Yee Shun Milk Company @ Jordan (shuang pi nai)...
Ah. Wa your dining locations all so atas one.. I peasant only leh. What's the cost of an average meal in those places?!?

Heard many good comments about Australian Diary Company. Definitely will stop by for breakfast there! As for the rest, I will add it on to my "list of must-eats" itinerary!
illusioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
High Supremacy Member

u tried Yeeshun?
Haven't, but going to this weekend.

The queue was super duper long!! In the end I didn't queue for it, went to eat the mak man kee wanton mee next door, 6 plus sing dollars for a small bowl of noodle, but it was so good!!!
The queue is very long but movement is very very fast, super efficient, but you don't get much of any service, just eat and go.
charleslin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
Supremacy Member

Australia diary queue is very long. Walked pasted on Sunday morning last year, the queue stretched from the entrance to the corner of the block.

Mak man kee price is above average but portion is below average. Wasn't impressed. After that went to Sweet Dynasty for more food.
s7460597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #19

I f88king love Australia Dairy Co, it's one thing I never fail to eat when I go to HK. And I have already went 4 times in just this year, never fails to satisfy me, hahaha.
eh that time i went the q was still alright...apart from the macaroni, i didnt quite like the shuang pi nai; the sweetness covered the aroma of the milk
baby_sadako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #20

Thanks for sharing your experience! Greatly appreciate it. Didn't know about the deposit. I will take note of the eateries you mentioned and definitely will spend time to try them!

Heard about those shower rooms. But it's fine for me since it's just me and my girl.

Would you care to share with me your shopping experiences? Don't really no where to shop I'm leaving out Ap Lei Chau because many fellow bros say its not worth it travelling all the way there. And for attractions do you book the tickets online usually?

Ah tiongs again... probably bring along pest spray to keep them away...

Ah. Wa your dining locations all so atas one.. I peasant only leh. What's the cost of an average meal in those places?!?

Heard many good comments about Australian Diary Company. Definitely will stop by for breakfast there! As for the rest, I will add it on to my "list of must-eats" itinerary!
shopping experience? i only been to the Citygate Polo shop & bought 2 pcs of toddler polo @ SGD 100, considered not a bad deal? as for myself, bought 3pcs of dresses from Fa Yuen St @ SGD 100+, considered kinda ex? as for attractions, i bought from CTS outlet, cheaper...no la, i peasant also; save to go for this trip with my daughter eh average spending around sgd200+? long long 1x ok>.<
illusioned likes this.
baby_sadako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #21

Based on baby_sadako87 recommendations, I've added it to my itinerary for places to eat.

1) One Dim Sum - Shop 1 & 2, G/F, Kenwood Mansion, 15 Playing Field Road, Prince Edward
2) Tsui Wah Restaurant - 77-78 Parkes Street, Jordan
3) Tien Yi – The Peak
4) Neptune's Restaurant – Ocean Park
5) Tim Ho Wan - Shop 12A, Hong Kong Station (Podium Level 1, IFC Mall) , Central
6) Yuen Kee Restaurant - 27-33 Kimberley Road Shop 6-10, G/F Wing Lee Building Tsim Sha Tsui
7) Australia Dairy Company - G/F, 47-49 Parkes Street, Jordan
8) Mak Man Kee Noodle - G/F, 51 Parkes Street, Jordan
9) Hing Kee Restaurant - G/F, 14, 19, 21 Temple Street & 48 Arthur Street, Yau Ma Tei
10) The Sweet Dynasty - 100 Canton Road Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
11) Yee Shun Milk Company - 63 Pilkem St, Jordan

Any more recommendations so I can put it in?
baby_sadako87 likes this.
Old 30-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
d3n
Arch-Supremacy Member

Based on baby_sadako87 recommendations, I've added it to my itinerary for places to eat.

1) One Dim Sum - Shop 1 & 2, G/F, Kenwood Mansion, 15 Playing Field Road, Prince Edward
2) Tsui Wah Restaurant - 77-78 Parkes Street, Jordan
3) Tien Yi – The Peak
4) Neptune's Restaurant – Ocean Park
5) Tim Ho Wan - Shop 12A, Hong Kong Station (Podium Level 1, IFC Mall) , Central
6) Yuen Kee Restaurant - 27-33 Kimberley Road Shop 6-10, G/F Wing Lee Building Tsim Sha Tsui
7) Australia Dairy Company - G/F, 47-49 Parkes Street, Jordan
8) Mak Man Kee Noodle - G/F, 51 Parkes Street, Jordan
9) Hing Kee Restaurant - G/F, 14, 19, 21 Temple Street & 48 Arthur Street, Yau Ma Tei
10) The Sweet Dynasty - 100 Canton Road Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
11) Yee Shun Milk Company - 63 Pilkem St, Jordan

Any more recommendations so I can put it in?
kau Kee beef noodles at sheung wan (ard Central area).

but note, there is 2 shop same name... dun step in the wrong one.

see review here:
Kau Kee Restaurant, Hong Kong | Kau Kee Beef Brisket (

quite near to Mak's wanton noodle.
illusioned likes this.

Last edited by d3n; 30-08-2013 at 05:29 PM..
d3n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #23
Master Member

The queue was super duper long!! In the end I didn't queue for it, went to eat the mak man kee wanton mee next door, 6 plus sing dollars for a small bowl of noodle, but it was so good!!!
The queue clears away quite fast if you have a bit of time to wait.

Yes. The wanton mee next door is good as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #24
Master Member

Haven't, but going to this weekend.

The queue is very long but movement is very very fast, super efficient, but you don't get much of any service, just eat and go.
Australia diary queue is very long. Walked pasted on Sunday morning last year, the queue stretched from the entrance to the corner of the block.
Yes. The queue is long but movement is fast.

The menu is in Chinese but you can get the waiters to interpret in Mandarin for you.

This is one of the places I won't miss whenever I go to Hong Kong.
illusioned likes this.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #25

kau Kee beef noodles at sheung wan (ard Central area).

but note, there is 2 shop same name... dun step in the wrong one.

see review here:
Kau Kee Restaurant, Hong Kong | Kau Kee Beef Brisket (

quite near to Mak's wanton noodle.
Looks damn yummy! I'm going try as many of these places as I can!

Any of you guys went to jumbo floating restaurant? Is it worth the time and money?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
d3n
Arch-Supremacy Member

Looks damn yummy! I'm going try as many of these places as I can!

Any of you guys went to jumbo floating restaurant? Is it worth the time and money?
i not so high end haha.

anyway.

the correct shop is this one.

this is the other shop which i suspect is trying to mislead other ppl.

illusioned likes this.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #27
Supremacy Member

For tourists. Expensive.
s7460597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #28
Junior Moderator

It will suffice to hire a water taxi at Aberdeen 香港仔 for a short harbour cruise to see the Jumbo Restaurant, the marina, and the floating village in the typhoon shelter.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #29

Mak man kee price is above average but portion is below average. Wasn't impressed. After that went to Sweet Dynasty for more food.
Aust Diary queue is crazy long on weekend because of tourists! Avoid if you are short of time. It is fine on weeknights (incl Fri) but closed on Thurs.

Mak's is pricey and I am not impressed either. My colleagues and I prefer Tsim Chai Kee - two outlets in on HK island. Cheaper and bigger portion - good quality noodles. In fact they are across mak's at wellington street - you can try both and compare.

Last edited by lousylah; 05-09-2013 at 09:51 PM..
lousylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #30

Australian diary long queue la, so try to go earlier. but they are extremely efficient, everything moves like clockwork. basically go there order, eat, leave. no time to chit chat and stuff.

actually in HK, most meals range from 4-10sgd? i will say one can usually find a decent meal within that range. its not easy to find lousy food in HK, because with so many competitors around, if you are lousy, you will die out very fast. hahaha my logic though
chainer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.