Mongkok or Yau Ma Tei

thwysg

Reaction score
Am deciding which place to stay at - Cityview next to YMT or Cordis right above Mongkok. Going in 1st week of January. Never stayed in Kowloon side so it's very new to me. I stayed in Central for all my previous trips. Just me and my SO.

Appreciate any suggestions and other hotels near MTRs, and thanks in advance!

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am deciding which place to stay at - Cityview next to YMT or Cordis right above Mongkok. Going in 1st week of January. Never stayed in Kowloon side so it's very new to me. I stayed in Central for all my previous trips. Just me and my SO.

Appreciate any suggestions and other hotels near MTRs, and thanks in advance!

Cordis is atas hotel ;)

personally i prefer MK, more streets to explore. not as familiar with YMT
Nelson Street, behind langham is a street market that comes alive e very evening / late afternoon

there r also red mini bus terminal to take u to Sum Tseng for roast goose or Sam Seng Tsuen for sea food

Jan is season to buy liver sausages & I usually buy them from the wet market at Fa Yuen Street wet market

thwysg

Reaction score
Cordis is atas hotel ;)

personally i prefer MK, more streets to explore. not as familiar with YMT
Nelson Street, behind langham is a street market that comes alive e very evening / late afternoon

there r also red mini bus terminal to take u to Sum Tseng for roast goose or Sam Seng Tsuen for sea food

Jan is season to buy liver sausages & I usually buy them from the wet market at Fa Yuen Street wet market

Sounds exciting! My SO is quite into street photography, so might be a good place for him to wander around. Liver sausages? Not 臘腸? Vacuumed pack? We are not into shopping, I'm more into food such as dai pai dongs. How's breakfast areas (SO is okay to eat breakfast at Cordis)? My list of go-to food places are mostly located in Central and Sheung Wan.

Not sure how to take mini buses, a bit scared. SO loves the tram. And language isn't an issue for me.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sounds exciting! My SO is quite into street photography, so might be a good place for him to wander around. Liver sausages? Not 臘腸? Vacuumed pack? We are not into shopping, I'm more into food such as dai pai dongs. How's breakfast areas (SO is okay to eat breakfast at Cordis)? My list of go-to food places are mostly located in Central and Sheung Wan.

Not sure how to take mini buses, a bit scared. SO loves the tram. And language isn't an issue for me.

Actually if most go-to food places are in HK Island, and taking into consideration that the trams are only in HK Island as well, why don't you look at accommodation options in HK Island instead of just deciding between MK and YMT which are both in Kowloon?

You can spend a day going to Kowloon for your hubby's street photography. The goldfish street / bird village are common places for street photographers (perhaps a bit too common?).

Last edited:

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mongkok and yau ma tei are neighbourhoods which are basically next to each other. Doesn't matter whether you stay.

There's lots of good and reasonably priced food from Jordan all the way to sham shui po. These are old neighbourhoods if you're into street photography.

For breakfast there's lots of cha chaan teng all over, I don't see a need to eat in hotels at all.

Last edited:

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mongkok and yau ma tei are neighbourhoods which are basically next to each other. Doesn't matter whether you stay.

There's lots of good and reasonably priced food from Jordan all the way to sham shui po. These are old neighbourhoods if you're into street photography.

For breakfast there's lots of cha chaan teng all over, I don't see a need to eat in hotels at all.

Agree, to me doesnt really make any difference ...
normally would stay mongkok area.
but there would be ppl who would stay cityview, which is at ymt mtr ...

mohaha

Reaction score
From mk and walk to ymt isn't too far if you want to walk along the road for 20mins to 30 mins. Mong kong street will be more cleaner at night then ymt as in ymt at night will be more messy. I will stay in mongkong due to the fact it is more safer. But for eating and u like wok cook food, ymt have those small eateries under tentage kind and more cheaper . More shopping centre in mk also and at night around the area got woman street. Ymt only have temple street and temple street is very *colorful* at night.
The tram is easy to take . Just go to the tram stop in hk island and take it . Get on from the back and the exit door is at the driver side. You pay using the octopus card/coins when alighting to a stop But you need to ask which tram color and route (or read the route map) if you looking to reach a certain place. If want to ride and stop randomly, then no worries.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Agree, to me doesnt really make any difference ...
normally would stay mongkok area.
but there would be ppl who would stay cityview, which is at ymt mtr ...

I usually stay jordan area, even though my usual activities mostly in HK Island. Next year I thinking of staying at HK Island for a change... but my usual breakfast places are around Jordan/MK/YMT leh. Still deciding. :s13:

thwysg

Reaction score
I usually stay jordan area, even though my usual activities mostly in HK Island. Next year I thinking of staying at HK Island for a change... but my usual breakfast places are around Jordan/MK/YMT leh. Still deciding. :s13:

That's why I'm thinking for a change, we could check out TST and MK/YMT area. Been to the usual famous places like the claypot rice, desserts & some food stalls plus the electronics/ camera shops and night market in the area.

We've taken the trams quite many a times when in HK. I like it 'cos it's a cheap ride though a little slow. Had also taken it as far as to Sheung Wan and to North Point Terminal before. So no issues with how to board the right tram. :)

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
That's why I'm thinking for a change, we could check out TST and MK/YMT area. Been to the usual famous places like the claypot rice, desserts & some food stalls plus the electronics/ camera shops and night market in the area.

We've taken the trams quite many a times when in HK. I like it 'cos it's a cheap ride though a little slow. Had also taken it as far as to Sheung Wan and to North Point Terminal before. So no issues with how to board the right tram. :)

I think I've missed out on the part in your first post where you said you stayed in Central usually, sorry! =:p

Yeah seems like I'm in the opposite situation compared to you and your hubby. How's the breakfast options in Central/Sheung Wan area? I'm in a dilemma...

BTW Jordan has Madera Hotel which you can take a look at too. More expensive than Cityview, but cheaper than Cordis. A lot of space if you take their king-sized bed room. But I had to book via email for their king-bed though. Their room options on website did not offer king at that time of my booking.

Only thing I didn't like about Madera is that their bathroom humidity a bit high - washed clothings don't dry overnight. But other than that, everything else was good.

I like Jordan because it's walkable to TST, as well as to MK. It's like right smack in the middle of two bustling areas.

thwysg

Reaction score
I think I've missed out on the part in your first post where you said you stayed in Central usually, sorry! =:p

Yeah seems like I'm in the opposite situation compared to you and your hubby. How's the breakfast options in Central/Sheung Wan area? I'm in a dilemma...

BTW Jordan has Madera Hotel which you can take a look at too. More expensive than Cityview, but cheaper than Cordis. A lot of space if you take their king-sized bed room. But I had to book via email for their king-bed though. Their room options on website did not offer king at that time of my booking.

Only thing I didn't like about Madera is that their bathroom humidity a bit high - washed clothings don't dry overnight. But other than that, everything else was good.

I like Jordan because it's walkable to TST, as well as to MK. It's like right smack in the middle of two bustling areas.

Very convenient in Central. The last trip we stayed along Wellington Street. There was Sing Kee for roadside tze char dishes, Tsui Wah, Mak and Tsim's wanton noodles, Lin Heung, Yat Lok and Yung Kee. Leaf Dessert, Gong Kee sugarcane desserts, Kau Kee and Sing Heung Yuen and The Chairman are located in the same area. Porridge places are closer to Sheung Wan and another one located near Jenny's bakery, two streets away from our hotel.

We woke up early to beat the crowd for dim sum and porridge before 7am. If you liked cafes, could take a stroll around Sheung Wan around Hollywood area. Not keen in the nightlife around LKF so we ventured around TST and MK instead. Hot desserts at an old dessert stall in Sheung Wan that closes at 11.30pm during the cold nights. The places we went to are generally quite crowded so be prepared to queue.

Hope to try a few more expensive restaurants and some other old school ones including DPDs before they close due to high rentals (best if they could stay in the business!) in this coming trip.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

for BF, i look for dim sum restaurants. usually have early morning promos before 10am. Dao Heung chain is a good bet. or Cafe d Coral ...for their freshly grounded coffee

Not 臘腸 but goose liver sausage (潤腸). only available in winter months. u get it in HK claypot rice but only small quantity. buy it on your last day. they will wrap it up but not vacuumed. bring a ziploc.

bought once vacuumed pack from Maxim at airport. Good but not as good as wet market ones.

score the sausages & steam over cooking rice. let the good fat & juices infuse into the rice. cannot find in SG. best gift for in-laws / old folks.

for street photo, I find Prince Edward area quite nice, some parts are pretty quiet. they are many MK street market walking distance from Cordis.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Very convenient in Central. The last trip we stayed along Wellington Street. There was Sing Kee for roadside tze char dishes, Tsui Wah, Mak and Tsim's wanton noodles, Lin Heung, Yat Lok and Yung Kee. Leaf Dessert, Gong Kee sugarcane desserts, Kau Kee and Sing Heung Yuen and The Chairman are located in the same area. Porridge places are closer to Sheung Wan and another one located near Jenny's bakery, two streets away from our hotel.

We woke up early to beat the crowd for dim sum and porridge before 7am. If you liked cafes, could take a stroll around Sheung Wan around Hollywood area. Not keen in the nightlife around LKF so we ventured around TST and MK instead. Hot desserts at an old dessert stall in Sheung Wan that closes at 11.30pm during the cold nights. The places we went to are generally quite crowded so be prepared to queue.

Hope to try a few more expensive restaurants and some other old school ones including DPDs before they close due to high rentals (best if they could stay in the business!) in this coming trip.

I've been to the bold ones before already, but will check out the rest. Thank you! :o

thwysg

Reaction score
for BF, i look for dim sum restaurants. usually have early morning promos before 10am. Dao Heung chain is a good bet. or Cafe d Coral ...for their freshly grounded coffee

Not 臘腸 but goose liver sausage (潤腸). only available in winter months. u get it in HK claypot rice but only small quantity. buy it on your last day. they will wrap it up but not vacuumed. bring a ziploc.

bought once vacuumed pack from Maxim at airport. Good but not as good as wet market ones.

score the sausages & steam over cooking rice. let the good fat & juices infuse into the rice. cannot find in SG. best gift for in-laws / old folks.

for street photo, I find Prince Edward area quite nice, some parts are pretty quiet. they are many MK street market walking distance from Cordis.

Thanks oceanicmanta! I love all kinds of good sausages (so long it's not those that have too much fats), good for fried rice too! Will take a look at the wet market in one of the mornings. Coffee is only good for my SO, I can't take hardcore coffee. Will check out Dao Heung as well.

Hope to try some good Teochew restaurants as well and pity we only have that big a stomach :s22:

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hard to find good coffee in hk (don't know about atas coffee). Stick to their milk tea.

For hot deserts try my favourite - kai kai dessert g/f 29 ning po street Jordan.

thwysg

Reaction score
I've been to the bold ones before already, but will check out the rest. Thank you! :o

The porridge place near Jenny's is Law Fuk Kee 羅富記粥麵專家 - famous for mud carp and fresh mud carp balls porridge. We had beef and liver porridge instead. Fried fritters are not cheap though. Another one in Sheung Wan is Sang Kee 生記粥品專家 for its fish porridge.

Made a mistake, not Gong Kee but Kung Lei 公俐 for its sugar cane pudding. Leaf Desserts 玉葉甜品 for tong ng laat 糖不甩 (hot dumplings with coconut shavings and sesame seeds), hoi dai luk tau sha 海底綠豆沙 (sea coconut in green bean soup) and beef brisket noodles (not tried before but quite a few locals were eating that when we were there).

As for the dessert stall in Sheung Wan that I visit in every trip is Yuen Kee Desserts 源記甜品專家. My usual order is the signature herbal soup with 1 egg and the sponge cake. My SO usually orders the almond paste or peanut paste.

There's Kwan Kee for claypot rice as well though we've not tried too. If you're into Teochew (Chiu Chow) cuisine, can try Chan Kan Kee, Tak Kee and Shung Hing (flower crab dishes) for the braised goose meat dishes. All are located in the Western District/ Sheung Wan.

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would prefer to stay at YMT. Just next to MTR exit got famous claypot chicken and duck egg orh luak :D

zhaohan

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Four Seasons with its horrendous queue. Been there and done that! :)

Any difference in the rival stall opposite it?

ok la just need to go earlier
always wondered if the one opposite is actually comparable, but didnt try

thwysg

Reaction score
Have settled for Cordis without breakfast. We'll still be trying its breakfast buffet one of the mornings since it's not too pricey (my SO said so).

Found a couple of old eateries located within walking distance in Sham Shui Po (taking a bus - no need to walk too far) so we'll probably have a half day there. There's a few eateries which we only found out recently where we might head down to try.

There's an outlet Sham Tseng Chan Kee Roast Goose located just opposite Cordis - hopefully it's not too far off as compared to the original stall. Not sure how to take mini bus else I would have headed there. :(

We'll also be trying out the cinema for a late night show too. Maybe 4DX movie if it's not too expensive.

Welcome other suggestions to eateries or places to visit. Still considering to go to Cheung Chau after watching Cheung Po Tsai. And thanks in advance for sharing your favorites!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.