Some HK Food Pics + Buffets

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any must tries at Lung King Heen?

Only tried the CSB at THW, IFC. Not bad, but i still prefer the po lo yau at Kim Wah :D Tomorrow i post abt it.

CSB with pine nuts, abalone tart, lobster fried rice, roast chicken and the list goes on :s13:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
7. Beef Brisket Soup from Supreme Beef Brisket Soup

Beef is 1 of my fav proteins, n i like tasty soups too, so this is beef soup is basically a must try for me :s13:

Located along the narrow lanes of Yau Ma Tei ...
SEDAgMQ.jpg

Another well reviewed eatery :D
XOYHe69.jpg

Fs1veHl.jpg

As this is 1 of the many food stops planned, i decided to just drop the carbo n focus on the beef n the specially prepared broth.
lTW1n9Y.jpg

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So is the special broth really good? Hmmm ... full of beefy flavour, the broth is also salty and light all at once. I had to dilute it with hot water cos i find it too salty *i have a heavy palate, so if i find it salty ... :eek:* Dunno if the saltiness is cos the broth is so concentrated n 'thick' taste wise or cos too much salt used :D But i dun feel excessively thirsty after drinking the broth if tats wat you're wondering abt. Got a slight hint of sweetness too, maybe from the raddish used.

In a nutshell, the broth is nice ... hearty n full of beefy goodness ... just need to dilute it a bit :D
w5JOTHh.jpg

The beef brisket is cooked til its tender n has a nice beefy taste ... its brisket afterall :s13:
Along with the meat, it also quite fatty, so you basically get a good amt of oil oozing out with every bite. Meaty n fatty! I likie! :love:
hkg6g43.jpg

Iirc, this bowl costed me abt HKD80. I find it a bit on the high side, but beef not cheap, n both the beef n soup are good, so okay lar, worth a try.

Click for goggle map :-
Supreme Beef Brisket Soup (清湯腩王)
Wing Shing Building, 30-40 Temple Street, Yau Ma Tei
Ph: +852 2771 2681
Directions:- From Yau Ma Tei MTR, exit via exit C, turn left into 雅打街 Arthur Street, and turn right into 永星里Wing Sing lane

Along the way, you will also pass by some stalls selling nice claypot rice n beef innards ... will post tomorrow

soggy_hASHbrown

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
7. Beef Brisket Soup from Supreme Beef Brisket Soup

As this is 1 of the many food stops planned, i decided to just drop the carbo n focus on the beef n the specially prepared broth.
lTW1n9Y.jpg
OMG THE FATS! ME want!

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
THW is popular in HK mainly because of its reasonable pricing for a Michelin Star restaurant. 3 for HK$18 is cheap... something Singaporeans will never get to enjoy from SG's THW. :( I prefer the IFC outlet mainly because its a little more spacious and not so crowded. If u have been to their original Mongkok outlet (no longer exist), the difference is like heaven and earth. :D

6. Char siew bao (CSB) from Tim Ho Wan at the IFC branch

Let me tell you man, eating these hot babies in the cold, chilly night air of the IFC observation deck is shiok man! The view of Victoria Harbour is an added bonus :D

Oh yea, the observation deck at IFC is foc entry hor. Also, they have nice tables n chairs too. Although some of them are placed in front of restaurants like Red, they are actually placed there by IFC mgmt, so you dun have to patronise those restaurants to use them.

3 for HKD18, or abt S$1 each.
I did not try the csb at THW SG, so cannot compare, but these are nice. They are served hot, which really makes it nice to munch on them when the weather is cold.

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
8. Beef Innards @ 廟街牛雜

I like beef n i like innards, so here i am :D

Located along the lanes of temple street, this small stall attracts a short queue of ppl queuing up for its beef innard skewers. You can't miss the stall lar, cos its just beside 四季煲仔飯, with its perpetual long queue.
w52y4mZ.jpg

You basically select the items you want, n he will blanch it in the gravy before serving it to you piping hot.

Did i mention the 'shiokness' of tucking into hot steaming food on a cold cold night? :D
DvgkejE.jpg

There is no seating area. After getting your food, you simply go to a corner to eat on the spot. Squatting optional :p

Dun have to be shy, cos there are other clusters of ppl doing the same thing.
04wKPbY.jpg

I like some items like the intestines, but dun fancy others. The innards are all quite well cleaned, so dun have a dirty smell. Also, quite tender. The gravy is a bit salty though.

Imo, the food is not bad, but the real thrill is the experience of a grp of friends or family jsut standing there together along the roadside n tucking into a bowl of steaming hot beef innards. Brings back memories of the good old days :s13:

廟街牛雜
18 Arthur Street, Yau Ma Tei
Directions:- From Yau Ma Tei MTR, exit via exit C, turn left into 雅打街 Arthur Street

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
9. Claypot Rice @ Hing Kee (興記)

Relatively quiet during the day, Temple st really comes alive at night, with its famous night market n various eateries.
GJz94aN.jpg

A colleague, who is a frequent traveler to HK, urged me to try their claypot rice. I originally wanted to try 四季煲仔飯 at Temple st, however, there is a long long queue n my rumbling tummy protested at the wait ... so i made do with 興記 next doors :D

Looks quite good too, with a crowd in the restaurant n newspaper cuttings etc. They actually have 2 outlets just across the street n 1 of them have a sizable outdoor dining area (first pic). Maybe tats why no need to queue, but can be quite a long wait for the food.
60rnMbv.jpg

Ordered the chinese sausage with chicken claypot.
oSWkBGb.jpg

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Drizzle some dark sauce n stir stir ... then put the cover back for the rice n dark sauce to fuse together in the heat ... :eek:
m799qv1.jpg

Voila! A simple yet delicious pot of rice flavoured with dark sauce with sausage n chick :love:
rY1CAES.jpg

Hmmm, they do not cook the rice to the degree we do so in SG. There is much less charring of the rice, so the rice is less fragrant. The chicken is tender, but can be quite bony. The 腊肠 is a winner! It is juicer than wat you get in SG, plus you get less of the waxy taste, so it actually taste cleaner n fresher. Really nice when eaten with the rice.

In comparison with SG claypot rice, the rice is less charred so less fragrant, but the sausage is definitely better. HK have many more varieties too. Got with seafood as well as lamb, beef n even curry. Next time must try the pork ribs version as well as liver sausage.

Oyster pancake (蚝饼) is another popular item, apparent from its presence on almost every table. Eat wat the locals eat! When at a new place, its always a good idea to check out wat others are eating.

For me, the star of the dish is the crispiness of the pancake rather than the oysters, which are of okay size n freshness. Its really more satisfying (n artery clogging!) to bit into the crispy batter with its oily tastiness :D Worthy of mention is their chilli sauce too. Akin to the sweet thai chilli sauce, but slightly more spicy n fragrance. Goes really well with the pancake.
PKSc21n.jpg

Quite like the food, esp the oyster pancake n vibes. Price is also reasonable. The entire meal of claypot rice n oyster pancake costed around S$8. Ended up going there for the same stuff for 2 nights. Once was like 11pm for supper.

Next trip i will definitely try out 四季煲仔飯 for a comparison ... queue or no queue :s12: Also wanna try out their oyster pancake with duck eggs :eek:

Hing Kee (興記)
14, 19, 21 Temple Street & 48 Arthur Street, Yau Ma Tei
Ph: +852 2384 3647
Directions:- From Yau Ma Tei MTR, exit via exit C, turn left into 廟街 Temple Street

Triple whammy of beef brisket, claypot rice cum oyster pancake n beef innards. This marks the end of my food blitz in Temple Street.

Last edited:

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
Speaking of chinese sausage... the best i have come across for those packed type to bring back to Singapore comes from Maxim. They have the mini type in a packet form, even better than the supposedly awesome ones from the renowned shop at Sheung Wan.

Joelleyuan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey Toons, the Oyster Pancake izzit just oysters n flour?
got other stuff like shrimp or anything will shells that make it v troublesome to eat? :p

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Speaking of chinese sausage... the best i have come across for those packed type to bring back to Singapore comes from Maxim. They have the mini type in a packet form, even better than the supposedly awesome ones from the renowned shop at Sheung Wan.

Thanks. Might buy a pack back to try. Love their 腊肠. Heard their liver sausage even better :s8:

Hey Toons, the Oyster Pancake izzit just oysters n flour?
got other stuff like shrimp or anything will shells that make it v troublesome to eat? :p

Yea, its just oysters, flour n eggs.

They have another seafood version too, but i guess you wouldn't be interested in tat one :D but normally if use prawns in these type of omelet/pancake, they will be de-shelled liao.

balblas

Reaction score
I'll be going again from 26 Feb to 2 Mar too. Hope to catch the last of the cold weather.
hi toons, I'll be heading over from 26feb (morning flight) to 2mar (sadly morning flight too). Don't mind pm-ing me your itinerary? Tia.

aerosmiths

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow, i am very surprised your itinerary is very similar to mine too. i was there 4 months.

you should try northpoint egg waffle too.
and there is this wanton mee at wan chai opens late. that one the soup uses shark bone stock i think.

Kahlan

Master Member
Reaction score
4. Wanton Noodles from Mak Man Kee (麥文記)

麥文記, dunno why they called it Mak Man Kee instead of Mak Wen Kee. Anyways, there are actually 2 stores bearing similar names. I chose the 'older' *more traditional looking to be polite* store with more ppl :D

Toons, it's called Mak Man Kee cause that's how you pronounced 麥文記 in cantonese.

麥文記 Mak wen kee (is mandarin translation).

Btw, very nice pics and reviews of food in HK. Really good.

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi toons, I'll be heading over from 26feb (morning flight) to 2mar (sadly morning flight too). Don't mind pm-ing me your itinerary? Tia.

Same dates as mine. Scoot? My flight back is 650 am flight.

I dun really have an itinerary as I'm traveling alone. Tentatively, for Wed 26, I intend to go Lautau island via the ngong ping cable car. Might take their package for the boat ride at Tai o too. Visit big Buddha etc. Then spend some time at the factory outlet at the mtr stop. Then at night, I got this wagyu beef buffet. After tat head to Shenzhen, then spend the night at a massage spa :D

Next 2 days at Shenzhen, depending on whether I find it fun or not, then Sat morning head back to Hk n eat eat eat.

Morning dim sum at the place recommended above, then thw since its nearby, po lo bun, etc. Then chiong central. There is this da pa dang I wanna try. At night go temple street shop n eat 4 seasons clay pot rice n the duck egg pancake.

All subject to change, hehe. Oops, just realised this is like a rough itinerary :D

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow, i am very surprised your itinerary is very similar to mine too. i was there 4 months.

you should try northpoint egg waffle too.
and there is this wanton mee at wan chai opens late. that one the soup uses shark bone stock i think.

Is the egg waffle the one made from flour n cooked using those grill plays? Like 1 piece of crispy biscuit with pigeon egg indents? I tried one while walking along Jordan with a queue n newspaper clips. Not bad, simple, comfort food, or more like addictive tidbit.

You have the name of the wan chai wanton stall? Thanks.

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Toons, it's called Mak Man Kee cause that's how you pronounced 麥文記 in cantonese.

麥文記 Mak wen kee (is mandarin translation).

Btw, very nice pics and reviews of food in HK. Really good.

Thanks. Next time you free, we can make a trip there, when it's cold :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.