HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Article] Buying a 4K TV: What you need to know about HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, HEVC & UHD

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #46
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi again techidiot.

Actually HDR can be done on 8-bit colour. With 8-bit colour u get banding issues for colour transition, but blacks and whites can still be good. HDR10 is 10-bit HDR, and paired with 10-bit colour, u get 1 billion colour range to play with. This I believe is partially why Samsung et al use HDR10 as their current marketing labeling, and for Samsung and LG, they've gone 1 step further to confuse by adding lighting brightness to it, eg Samsung's HDR1000 to indicate 10-bit HDR with 1000 nits, and LG's HDR4000 as 10-bit HDR + 4000 nits. There's currently only 2 HDR formats being promoted now, HDR (as a label) and Dolby Vision. LG's Colour Prime Plus will support both.

There are older panels that are non-4K that can do HDR. In marketing speak some use "True Blacks" or "Deeper Blacks" as a way to describe HDR but without 10-bit colour, those panels still had only 16m colours with 8-bit colour, and suffer from banding issues, even on greys.

The PS4 Pro does 10-bit HDR and WCG, and of course checkerbox 4K, but it's the 10-bit HDR and WCG that matters to me. With more expensive panels like the Samsung 7/8/9 series, I can be sure of getting HDR10/WCG, but the issue arises with cheaper/entry level panels like the Samsung Series 6, or the LG UH650T or the Sony W750E. I don't want to buy something only to find out it's not 10-bit HDR/WCG.

Hence my queries about LG's Colour Prime Pro/Plus, because LG themselves list their Colour Prime Plus as "1 Billion Colours" while their Colour Prime Pro does not. Does this mean their Colour Prime Pro is 8-bit colour aka 16.7m colours? According to rtings.com, their UH650 has 10-bit colour and HDR, which I assume is also 10-bit, but it does not have WCG. Why and is that possible? Is rtings.com wrong? Samsung's KU6300, according to rtings.com, does not support WCG, but it has HDR, which Samsung calls "HDR Premium" and I can only assume is HDR10, and 10-bit colour as well.

But Sony's X800D has HDR, 10-bit colour and WCG. This is according to rtings.com, and is buried under marketing talk.

So either I trust rtings.com implicitly, or I try to punch through the marketing talk:

Samsung HDR Premium = HDR10?
Samsung Pur Colour = 10-bit colour?
Samsung Active Crystal Colour = WCG?
LG HDR Pro = HDR10?
LG Colour Prime Pro = 10-bit colour?
LG Colour Prime Plus = WCG?
Sony HDR = HDR10?
Sony Live Colour = 10-bit colour?
Sony Triluminos = WCG?
Best is to email to them to ask.
Here even I can't comment cuz it is too technical deep.
techidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #47
Supremacy Member

Best is to email to them to ask.
Here even I can't comment cuz it is too technical deep.
Thanks probably ask in AVS or NeoGAF instead.
Old 17-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #48
Supremacy Member

Good read, primer on all the new UHD concepts, explaining HDR, WCG, 10-bit colour, 4:4:4 chroma, etc.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

Last edited by arcana75; 17-04-2017 at 11:45 AM..
arcana75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.