65" Full HD or 55" SUHD?

cadre80

Reaction score
65" UHD or 55" SUHD?

Hi guys,

I can't decide between these two. Both are within my budget.
I wish I could splurge on a 65" SUHD but unfortunately, I am a firm believer of spending within one's means.

Some things I gathered:

55" SUHD
+ SUHD!
- may not see all details from 2.8m (that's the distance between TV and couch), though I can always sit closer (duh!)

65" UHD
+ good size for the 2.8m viewing distance
- may need to get a 2014 model to fit my budget

I hope I can get a couple of opinions. Thanks, guys.

Oh, I'm quite a sucker for the latest technology (including gimmicks). Otherwise, I would have just bought the 65" without second thoughts. Is it WORTH IT to sacrifice 10" for the SUHD?

Edit: Apologies. The 65" is UHD, not Full HD.

Last edited:

wiccawizzards

Reaction score
IMHO, if you can afford the $$$ to buy a SUHD then buy a SUHD. The content for both the UHD and SUHD are on it way BUT still too little to account for much at the moment.

Another few questions to ask yourself are probably:

1. Is this going to future proof you? If no, get the 65" UHD.

2. Are you planning to set up a home theater? If yes, go for the bigger screen BUT UHD only.

3. In the event that you are setting up a home theater AND future proofing yourself, then get the 55" SUHD. Gonna last you for the next 4 years (considering that the manufacturer's warranty is 3 years).

4. Is there anyone else that is going to use the TV too?

5. The screen size does not matter unless you have a discerning eye for the picture quality between FHD, UHD, or SUHD. Especially from 2-3m away.
IF you do, of course it is a no-brainer to get the SUHD.

6. the main difference between UHD and SUHD is the tech. SUHD features Samsung's Nano Crystal Technology which promises better video quality. In terms of resolution, UHD and SUHD has the same 3840 x 2160

Let me know if you have any more concerns ;)

Hi guys,

I can't decide between these two. Both are within my budget.
I wish I could splurge on a 65" SUHD but unfortunately, I am a firm believer of spending within one's means.

Some things I gathered:

55" SUHD
+ SUHD!
- may not see all details from 2.8m (that's the distance between TV and couch), though I can always sit closer (duh!)

65" UHD
+ good size for the 2.8m viewing distance
- may need to get a 2014 model to fit my budget

I hope I can get a couple of opinions. Thanks, guys.

Oh, I'm quite a sucker for the latest technology (including gimmicks). Otherwise, I would have just bought the 65" without second thoughts. Is it WORTH IT to sacrifice 10" for the SUHD?

Edit: Apologies. The 65" is UHD, not Full HD.

Last edited:

cadre80

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, wiccawizzards,

I've done days of research, and these are the exact dilemmas I'm facing right now! It seems like you can read my mind.

I really can't decide if I could trade off the SUHD technology for 10" off the TV (from 65" to 55").

IMHO, if you can afford the $$$ to buy a SUHD then buy a SUHD. The content for both the UHD and SUHD are on it way BUT still too little to account for much at the moment.

Another few questions to ask yourself are probably:

1. Is this going to future proof you? If no, get the 65" UHD.

2. Are you planning to set up a home theater? If yes, go for the bigger screen BUT UHD only.

3. In the event that you are setting up a home theater AND future proofing yourself, then get the 55" SUHD. Gonna last you for the next 4 years (considering that the manufacturer's warranty is 3 years).

4. Is there anyone else that is going to use the TV too?

5. The screen size does not matter unless you have a discerning eye for the picture quality between FHD, UHD, or SUHD. Especially from 2-3m away.
IF you do, of course it is a no-brainer to get the SUHD.

6. the main difference between UHD and SUHD is the tech. SUHD features Samsung's Nano Crystal Technology which promises better video quality. In terms of resolution, UHD and SUHD has the same 3840 x 2160

Let me know if you have any more concerns ;)

cadre80

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

After a fruitful discussion with my better half, we've bought the 55" Samsung SUHD TV. (55JS9000)

Do ask if anyone needs help. I've done quite an extensive research, and I may be of some help, though my knowledge is rather broad and not as in depth and thorough as the gurus here.

Cheers!

WestGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

After a fruitful discussion with my better half, we've bought the 55" Samsung SUHD TV. (55JS9000)

Do ask if anyone needs help. I've done quite an extensive research, and I may be of some help, though my knowledge is rather broad and not as in depth and thorough as the gurus here.

Cheers!

Good choice mate! I did a review of this 55JS9000 earlier on this month. How much did you get it for and the freebies?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...hd-curved-tv-read-my-impressions-5064406.html

cadre80

Reaction score
Thanks! I voted for you as the best review. I really liked the systematic way you presented the information and the fact that relativity was always disambiguated by consistently having comparisons.

I so much wanted the 65" JS Series 9, but I had to be realistic and spend within my means and settle with the 55".

I promised not to divulge the price I got publicly, but I have to admit that it was quite a steal.
Not so much on freebies though, just the standard 2 x 3D glasses and bluetooth keyboard and blu-ray player from the agent.

Good choice mate! I did a review of this 55JS9000 earlier on this month. How much did you get it for and the freebies?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...hd-curved-tv-read-my-impressions-5064406.html

WestGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks! I voted for you as the best review. I really liked the systematic way you presented the information and the fact that relativity was always disambiguated by consistently having comparisons.

I so much wanted the 65" JS Series 9, but I had to be realistic and spend within my means and settle with the 55".

I promised not to divulge the price I got publicly, but I have to admit that it was quite a steal.
Not so much on freebies though, just the standard 2 x 3D glasses and bluetooth keyboard and blu-ray player from the agent.

Thanks for your support! :)

Wow, sure seems like quite a steal! Just wondering what is the model of the 3D glasses? I checked out Best Denki a few weeks back and they were only giving out the bluetooth keyboard and the blu-ray player:D

Piranacon

Reaction score

Don't understand why the need the need to be so secretive about price. As far as I understand, the 55inch JS9000 is between 4.2-4.3k while the 65inch version is selling 5999 at best denki and 5899 at Megadiscount.

Seems like not many know that there is actually another entry level Samsung SUHD model that is flat and sold exclusively at Megadiscount which is 65JS8000. This one is a few hundred dollars cheaper than 65JS9000 and best suited for people who do not like curve screens.

Of course it does not help that there are a few forumers shamelessly putting links to their reviews and implicitly trying to solicit votes which makes the JS9000 even more well known than the lesser models.

Last edited:

pawn_king

Reaction score
Bro Piranacon, how does the Samsung 65JS8000 compare against Sony's 65X8500C. Or any other recommendations?

Looking for a 65" non-curved 4k tv, will need to purchase by this weekend if it's the sony for the extra 5%.

Piranacon

Reaction score
Bro Piranacon, how does the Samsung 65JS8000 compare against Sony's 65X8500C. Or any other recommendations?

Looking for a 65" non-curved 4k tv, will need to purchase by this weekend if it's the sony for the extra 5%.

I don't own either TV so I may not be in the position to say which is better.

I did get to the see the actual TV of both models. The Sony one in BD taka and the Samsung one at mega discount Kallang.

First impression wise, the bezel of the Sony one is really narrow so it is like the screen is frameless. The picture quality is good too. But the I dislike the stand as it seems very narrow and feeble. The Sony model is powered by Android so perhaps there are more apps available as compared to Samsung which is powered by their own inhouse system which is Tizen.

The Samsung 65JS8000 is also silver like the JS9000 series but is slightly thicker. The stand is exactly the same as the the JU7000 and JU7500 series and I liked its design more than the inverse V shape stand of the JS9000. The bezel however, is thicker than Sony's.

Comparing 65JS8000 with the Samsung lower end 65JU7000, I can see the colours are more vibrant and the blacks are more deeper. It is difficult to say if it will be better than Sony since it is not placed side by side and the videoes being played is also different.

However in terms of audio, Samsung will have a slight edge as it has 40 watt 2.2 channel speaker system while Sony has a 20 watt 2.0 channel version.

Price wise, Sony is priced at $5199 which will be cheaper than Samsung. Further more retailers like BD and HN will offer a little more if you bargain hard. But I will not think price will go back even after the Sony days promotion is over.

Samsung 65JS800 I understand is approximately 5.7k. There is free keyboard and Blue ray player.

Another model you may want to think over is the LG's 65UF950T. The price I saw at BD was $5699. Under promotion, it comes with free mini projector and a speaker. Contrast wise it seems to lose out abit to Sony and Samsung. i believe mainly its because it is IPS panel. Audio wise on paper it is the best of the 3 since it has a 60w 4 channel speaker that is made by Harman Kardon. The TV stand also looks pretty artistic in my opinion. Lastly, its smart TV platform is powered by WebOS 2.0 which many reviewers have praised for its user friendliness.

Hope the information helps.:)

Last edited:

pawn_king

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed comparisons bro, I am definitely inclined towards the Sony especially since it is the cheapest (below 5k after 5%) and their latest 4k TV. I will have it wall mounted with (the swivel kind) so it can be viewed from my dining area as well. Will view all 3 this weekend before buying.
Hope Sony takes amex, just got their chargeback card, 5% cashback for first 5k.

Piranacon

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed comparisons bro, I am definitely inclined towards the Sony especially since it is the cheapest (below 5k after 5%) and their latest 4k TV. I will have it wall mounted with (the swivel kind) so it can be viewed from my dining area as well. Will view all 3 this weekend before buying.
Hope Sony takes amex, just got their chargeback card, 5% cashback for first 5k.

You are most welcome.

Why do you have to buy directly from Sony? I believe if you buy from retailers like Best Denki or Harvey Norman you still have room to bargain further.

I am sure these retailers accept Amex.

The 5% cash back Amex Card is a very good deal.

pawn_king

Reaction score
Sony days @ 313 orchard running 5% discount on their higher end models until this weekend. I'll check out the other retailers, but I doubt they will be able to knock off $200+ off the list price. Probably 50-100 plus more freebies usually.

wiccawizzards

Reaction score
Sony days @ 313 orchard running 5% discount on their higher end models until this weekend. I'll check out the other retailers, but I doubt they will be able to knock off $200+ off the list price. Probably 50-100 plus more freebies usually.

You may want to look at bargaining for less freebies (ones which you think you won't use) and more cash discounts on the item that you are purchasing.

wiccawizzards

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, wiccawizzards,

I've done days of research, and these are the exact dilemmas I'm facing right now! It seems like you can read my mind.

I really can't decide if I could trade off the SUHD technology for 10" off the TV (from 65" to 55").

Frankly, if it is within my budget, I would shave off 10" for the SUHD. Just because it is SUHD and with the Curved screen.

As a gamer myself, I like that the curve screens bring in the sides to my eyes for a better overview of a game match so I won't be busy darting my eyes around the large screen.

And because I sit close to the screen, not as close as you would imagine, I do need the curve feature.

Congrats on going for the kill on this one. I woke up too late for the party, lol.:s12:

Last edited:

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is an easy question. 65" period. If u can get an even larger FHD TV for the money, even better. U will enjoy the larger size more than you enjoy the improvement you may observe from improving resolution.

I'm watching FHD at 100" now. Still looks damn good.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.