Black Friday Amazon 60" Plasma Hoot

anabolic

Reaction score
To be fair, this wasn't much of a discount going into Black Friday, approx 200+ to 300 dollars cheaper, but I didn't want to fight with people at Sitex and decided that the time was right:

LG 60PV450 60 inch Plasma. Entry level 1080p plasma.

no 3D, no special gizmo true clear absolute black filter, no dynamic imaging neural contrast, not wifi / internet enabled.

Now just waiting for it to be delivered to my US forwarder. Estimates of total cost of TV + shipping + GST = S$18XX thereabouts. Not dirt cheap, but fairly reasonable considering for an average 60 inch panel (in my opinion).

My first purchase for such a big ticket (bulky) item through Amazon and the US forwarder. Will keep you guys updated on service and delivery times (I expect it to be snail slow considering the festive season).

Last edited:

anabolic

Reaction score
Subject to actual confirmation from the fowarder of course, but the shipping calculator puts shipping as USD$280 (before discount).

Add another 7% of item cost for GST.

Stallone

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
scary man, buying sucha big item from USA, but it's cheap though

if....... next time need servicing how aR?

anabolic

Reaction score
You need to buy step down transformer

If the unit has a universal 110-240v voltage, not needed. unless your device is solely a 110v unit (eg, USA Wii).

Anyway here's the rub; I won't know how it turns out until the item is shipped to SG. Keep your eyes peeled!

billovee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
High risk item..

What happen during shipping, the plasma screen crack.

You have been very brave.

It is difficult to ship.

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
Subject to actual confirmation from the fowarder of course, but the shipping calculator puts shipping as USD$280 (before discount).

Add another 7% of item cost for GST.

Sorry, curious... which forwarder are you using?
Do they provide insurance for a fee?

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
According to specs, it should have 100V-240V for power.

However, other things to take note are that its analog TV is NTSC, and digital may not be usable in SG.

Soul77

Reaction score
wow. which forwarder did you use? vpost? comgateway?

Few years ago I used to think of buying those 70" DLP TV from amazon as well, but didn't proceed.. :s13:

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh, I suppose the forwarder won't do the assembly and installation for you?

Make sure you get some hands to help you out.

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last time when I ordered my projector from Amazon, when it arrived, looked like this. Got a shock

SDC14958.jpg

SDC14961.jpg

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
According to specs, it should have 100V-240V for power.

However, other things to take note are that its analog TV is NTSC, and digital may not be usable in SG.

Yes, USA ATSC is not compatible to our DVB-T. So basically you need a stb to watch tv. And also not all American TV accepts PAL input (regardless analog or digital). Our local stb (miotv, starhub) outputs in PAL format.

There's a discussion thread regarding importing tv from USA.

hj_dragon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow, quite brave to order such a big item, hopefully it is not damage during the shipping. Very cheap. 60" plasma cost over 15K at least during 10 years back.
But electricity cost quite high using this tv and also hot.

anabolic

Reaction score
Thanks all for various input. I myself was very skeptical, common sense dictates that SG is usually reasonably priced for electronics, so why the big difference in price for large TVs?

As always with an overseas purchase, I am taking a risk, and a bigger risk than what I normally am accumstomed to (ie; the TV itself ships with a defective screen). But after doing my sums and my risk appetite, I decided to take the plunge for the following reasons:

1. Insurance from forwarder from damage (excluding shipping cost).

2. Compatibility of TV (universal voltage, Starhub STB so should not have issue with PAL only input, not using MIO).

3. Size of this thing, I'm a sucker for the bigger the better when it comes to TVs.

4. Discount (from $1399) during Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

5. Fairly new (2011 release) model with decent specs and connectivity.

Just to answer the query on power consumption, this is rated for 200w average. My current 42" plasma is rated 280w. In all honesty, I don't reckon TV electricity bill will affect utility bills that much.

update: Some conflicting info regarding Starhub HD STBs. Even though outputting through HDMI, they may still only accept PAL tvs. If so, this would mean an additional cost of a NTSC/PAL converter.

Last edited:

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub STB outputs in PAL format for HDMI. Even in HD format, it's 1080i50 (i50 is PAL).

If the TV has no PAL input, you'll definitely need a PAL/NTSC converter.

anabolic

Reaction score
Starhub STB outputs in PAL format for HDMI. Even in HD format, it's 1080i50 (i50 is PAL).

If the TV has no PAL input, you'll definitely need a PAL/NTSC converter.

Thanks for that, my googling skills came up the same answer. So seems like I will have to factor in an additional cost!

No worries, I will inform all as and when the item ships/arrives/disintegrates.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.